PDA

View Full Version : Your expertise required please :)

manwithaplan
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi guys and girls, I'm just after a little help with regards to setting up a sound system in a bar. Neither I, nor the other lads have got a clue about sound systems so wouldn't know where to start with regards to getting the kit! We would be looking for a two speaker set up with the ability to play off an ipod or similar. I believe our budget is £350 but could possibly be extended to £500 max. Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to hearing from you :)

Jiggles
06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Hello please introduce your self in the newbies section. Also do not add three threads of the same title. You are on moderation due to being a new member.

Thanks

Callum

manwithaplan
06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah sorry about that, this is the first forum I've used where a mod has to review threads before they are posted. N00bs eh?! :D

Jiggles
06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Just lots of spam we have we have to go through :D

Pe7e
06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
We'll need a few more detail before a sensible answer can be given,
Is this an install ie fixed into the bar or will the system be moved from bar to bar, venue to venue?
How big is the bar, person capacity?
What type of entertainment are you providing, ie quiz nights, background music, disco, disco with a dance floor, Karaoke, etc etc.

manwithaplan
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
It's a room about 10mx25m big. The system will be fixed, hopefully permanently (;)) but if it could be moved around I'm sure it would be used to an advantage. Preferably want something that can be hooked upto an ipod so that it can be left to run on it's own.

Pe7e
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
The iPod bit is the easy bit to sort, numark have recently introduced a rack mounted player for this sort of job Here (http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/=froogle/item/dj-cd-mp3-players/066732_1-numark-fit-4-sound-rack-mount-music-player-for-ipod-%C2%A3127.22) but you still haven't told us what level of volume will be needed, is it just background music you want? if not you may be struggling with your budget for a room of that size.

Jiggles
06-12-2008, 10:11 PM
T Box stuff from Thomann is said to be good.

manwithaplan
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
The iPod bit is the easy bit to sort, numark have recently introduced a rack mounted player for this sort of job Here (http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/=froogle/item/dj-cd-mp3-players/066732_1-numark-fit-4-sound-rack-mount-music-player-for-ipod-%C2%A3127.22) but you still haven't told us what level of volume will be needed, is it just background music you want? if not you may be struggling with your budget for a room of that size.
Well the louder the better (obviously :D) but I'd be happy to sacrifice volume for quality. Ideally we'd be looking for a noise level equivalent to say...a mobile disco party bash thing? lol but as long as we can have a good shout-a-long and let the rest of the regiment know we're having a good time then that will be loud enough ;)

nigelwright7557
06-12-2008, 10:27 PM
At the lowest price end Maplin could set you up with a system. They have a few levels of sound equipment you can buy.

A bit depends on the size of the pub.

manwithaplan
06-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Cheers for the heads up on maplin Nigel, spotted a few potential xmas presents aswell as kit for the bar :D

yourdj
06-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Try class D speakers. they seem to get good ratings and do not cost much. ebay a good bet or get other pubs going out of business.

and someone who knows about these things so they can acquire and properly instal the stuff. ask your local DJ store for contacts.

Maplin stuff is cack

Grahame Case
07-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Maplin stuff is cack

yes avoid Maplin like the plague, i'm currently stuck with one of their prosound amps and speakers - you really can't drive them as much as you would need,

you would be better investing a tiny bit more money in a better system - the investment will pay for itself pretty quickly

Bouncy Dancefloor
07-12-2008, 01:52 AM
hire a professional to do the job please

Pe7e
07-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Cheers for the heads up on maplin Nigel, spotted a few potential xmas presents aswell as kit for the bar :D

I recommend you give this bit of advice a wide berth, If I was doing it myself I'd go down the S/H route on e-bay but without a good deal of experience I don't think this would be your best option. I would advise you to go for something like These (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Stock-Tapco-Mackie-Thump-TH15A-Active-Speakers_W0QQitemZ350135839336QQihZ022QQcategoryZ4 7094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) they are 'Active Speakers' so you don't need amplifiers as they're built in, you just plug them in and off you go. If you wall mount them above 6' high they should give a good spread of decent quality sound. So for £500 you will have a credible sound system, all brand new and guaranteed. I'd also recommend you save a bit more cash and get a second pair of these speakers and mount them further up the room so you don't end up over driving them.

Corabar Steve
07-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I've just addressed some of this in your Newbie's thread. If you can give as much info as possible, you'll get the most advice. Be prepared to wade through vastly differing opinions though.

leighinstoke
07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
You really need to decide what the system is for - mainly 2 things I guess - just background/autoplaying music and then also being DJ controlled.

I'll see if I can throw a few ideas into the pot without going down the brand name route.

Try and setup things in an area where someone can DJ - not behind the bar please which I've seen in many places as the gear (amps usually) will become enclosed, covered in spills, dirty, etc, and usually overheat.

Once decided, do you want a good mixer or just something that will suffice and how many inputs - go for at least 2 mics and 4 line inputs which should be adequate for CD inputs and whatever else is to be connected - usually a PC. Please please go for a good brand - not el cheapo - something with EQ on each channel is handy, especially for your mics.

Mics - radio mics easiest - go for 2 x UHF ones but get a wired backup too.

Looking at your room - is it mainly seating or dancefloor or a mix? If a mixture, you'll probably need 2 or even 3 'systems - one for the dancefloor - so go for a sub and tops combination there.

The rest of the place you can probably get away with discrete smaller speakers, wall mounted, to supply music/sound to the remainder of the room.

Beware of speaker placing and direction - don't have them directed back to the dancefloor as you'll have feedback problems with your mics.

Someone suggested powered speakers - a good idea and will save you the hassle of amps and can make the 'console' easier and even removable if you put together a panel with the inputs to the speakers on.

As for background music - iPod or similar is good or similar mp3 playback system or a multidisk CD player. I installed a system for a Uni ages ago that used 4 x 100 disk multi changers - I don't think it was touched for ages as it supplied so much variety!

(To give an idea of a recent install I did (with brand names this time!) - Cricket Club with one large room, one small room - used a Numark CDMix2 for the CD player/mixer option as it fitted the budget and also gives an additional input for their Sky box so people can hear that while watching the plasmas, 3 x Numark Dimension Amps powering 4 x Wharfedale speakers (4 tops, 2 subs) in the main room and a set of small 8 inch skytecs in the other room so they could hear the main room at lower volume (for bingo!). Works fine, sounds good too.)

Hope this helps with ideas - oh - my experience - AV and corporate installs for many a year in the past.

Leigh.....

Pe7e
07-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't think you could have read the original post, :) he wants to play loud music off an iPod into a room that's just about big enough to park 6 x 30' artics, and will probably be full of well oiled squadies. The budget for this is a rather modest £350 - £500 max :eek:

leighinstoke
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't think you could have read the original post,

Oh you mean I have to read the original post? Never mind eh.... :D

501damian501
07-12-2008, 04:45 PM
get your self over to class d, kit your self out with 2 tops and 2 bass bins :D where abouts are you based ?

DONT BOTHER WITH MAPLIN JUNK!
theirs 2 options of size available to you my friend
12inch tops and 15inch bass bins.
or
15inch tops and 18inch bass bins.
heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Class-D-CD15N12SP-1200watt-speaker-system-DJ-PA_W0QQitemZ350134786842QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConE lec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item350134786842&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Class-d-CD15158-speaker-system-1400w-Dj-Audio-PA_W0QQitemZ380087670297QQihZ025QQcategoryZ23794QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Silver
07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
DONT BOTHER WITH MAPLIN JUNK!

I would suggest you go careful calling a National company's products JUNK! I have bought things from there and they are fine. Also you could end up with a letter dropping on your door mat from their legal team, unlikely but possible.

501damian501
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I would suggest you go careful calling a National company's products JUNK! I have bought things from there and they are fine. Also you could end up with a letter dropping on your door mat from their legal team, unlikely but possible.

if your so confidant in the "pro sound" equipment maplins have to offer, then be my guest and spent a good £1,000, but i know where i,d put my money and it would last after the first week!

Silver
07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
if your so confidant in the "pro sound" equipment maplins have to offer, then be my guest and spent a good £1,000, but i know where i,d put my money and it would last after the first week!

I've never bought any sound equipment from Maplins, so I can't comment. I was saying it's potentially dangerous to call a National companies products JUNK as a blanket statement. I use Bose and I don't think Maplins stock them.

501damian501
07-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I've never bought any sound equipment from Maplins, so I can't comment. I was saying it's potentially dangerous to call a National companies products JUNK as a blanket statement. I use Bose and I don't think Maplins stock them.

AND ?

Silver
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
AND ?

Enough said ...... I give up, yes Damien you are right, goodnight.http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10171.gif

Bouncy Dancefloor
07-12-2008, 08:22 PM
well i think the sweeping statement is wrong

Maplin sell Numark and Kam gear which is usually pretty good stuff

On the other hand, Prosound? From my personal experience, in my personal opinion, ive never heard a good sounding piece of ProSound equipment yet

501damian501
07-12-2008, 08:57 PM
well i think the sweeping statement is wrong

Maplin sell Numark and Kam gear which is usually pretty good stuff

On the other hand, Prosound? From my personal experience, in my personal opinion, ive never heard a good sounding piece of ProSound equipment yet

but this is a disco forum, so why would i diss the whole of maplin :confused: , yes i now understand maplin as starting to stock the more up market equipment but pro sound is their main seller on the dj front, and soon as you say maplin i think pro sound !

Totally Plucked
07-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Some of the prosound gear was rebadged calsboro stuff, the prosound 1000 amp (800 watt) and there 15 inch &12 inch full range speakers were the same as the Carlsboro Alpha series

BeerFunk
07-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd say the majority of the 'disco' products Maplin sell should be avoided by professionals - but not everything they sell is 'junk'

manwithaplan
09-12-2008, 07:07 PM
hire a professional to do the job please
Dude, How can we pay for a professional DJ a minimum of 2 nights a week when we're paying 50 cents a beer!?

get your self over to class d, kit your self out with 2 tops and 2 bass bins where abouts are you based ?I'm in Hameln mate, living the Dream :D Cheers for the heads up, you got a link for class D? I'm a little short on t'internet time at the moment, have to pay for it by the 5 mins! :zip:

Excalibur
09-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Class-D here.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/home.php

Plan 1 Pair of these,
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16138&cat=23&page=1
and one of these.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16189&cat=265&page=1

Plan 2 Four of these
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16136&cat=23&page=1
and amp as before, or this, slightly smaller.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16136&cat=23&page=1

Give 'em a ring, they're helpful.

nigelwright7557
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Class-D here.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/home.php

Give 'em a ring, they're helpful.

Class D is a confusing name because class d is also a type of amplifier like class a, class ab, class b, class c or class d.

I thought everyone was using digital amplifiers for a mo there !

DJ INDIE
09-12-2008, 09:52 PM
...thats what I never understood about 'class D' - they do get good reviews off the majority who use them, so chances are theyre good kit, but like Nigel says in 'amp/circuitry world' - class D is used to describe amp boards and circuitry - and class D is usually the cheap low end Japanese stuff.
Maybe the name buts some people off? shame if its just a coincidence and no one at Class D know? - especially if its good decent kit.