PDA

View Full Version : Mackie - SRM450 v2's - your opinions

Grahame Case
07-12-2008, 01:11 AM
i know i'll probably get referred to another topic on the forum somewhere that this has already been covered in - but i couldn't find it when i searched.

In the New Year - i had been planning to buy a new active PA system - probably an HK audio one.

However, on Friday night, I was invited over to Loch Lomond to see a fellow DJ from Edinburgh at work (Andy from Lasertech) now, Andy has a pair of SRM 450's and two bass bins, although he was merely working from the two active 450's on Friday,

now the audio clarity was fantastic on these speakers, even through 150 people. Andy said i would be better investing my money in Mackies rather than splashing a bit more cash out for an HK audio or D&B audio rig, as he rightly pointed out for most events you would just use the tops full range anyway, and maybe add in 1 bass bin for over 250 people then 2 bass bins for 500 if needed. although i don't intend to be doing events that large.

I was just wondering if anyone else used Mackies, and what they think of them.

ta for your patience

Vectis
07-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Yes and, er, buy 'em :)

Pretty much exactly as you've said above - pair of SRM450s will cater for most gigs on their own. I add a single dB Sub 15 (800W active) to round out the sound if I'm likely to be playing 'clubby' music or for larger rooms and very occasionally I have to go up to 2 subs if playing very large venues or outdoor.

Some will suggest that the Mackies sound a little harsh on the top frequencies - and I agree - but careful EQing will take care of that... and it's worth it for the all-round niceness of these wee beasties.

Grahame Case
07-12-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm convinced that the active Mackies are also lighter than my current prosound passive ones. (plus they look nicer)

OllieJames
07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
I use Mackie SRM450s v1s, and i think they're awesome.

Just like you said, the clarity is great, and they cope well without subs at gigs with a smaller crowd.

Like vectis said, buy them! :)

Corabar Steve
07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
But the question is about the v2s, which I believe Tom is the only one quallified to answer at the moment as he's the only one on the forum running them.

A1DL
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I haven't heard them so can't comment for good or bad, however this thread currently going on over at SP may be of interest.

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21842

Twinspin
07-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I wouldnt go for Mackie not over HK Audio anyway. If its a type of system like Mackie that you want. where you can use different setups.

e.g. 2 active tops, for smaller gigs.

2 and 1 active sub for the gigs a bit bigger

and 2 bins of the larger gigs

I personally wouldnt recommend Mackie. I would look at RCF. They sound better than Mackie and sound smoother and not as harsh yet they are powerful.

you could go for 2 different types of tops from RCF ART 3 series. either 15" or 12" I use the 12" versions myself and i think they sound nice. definetely nicer than the 450s. (round about 350 watts to 400 watts) same as Mackie they are slightly better than Mackie.

Darren (solitaire will recommend the 15" versions im sure) the matching subwoofer the ART705 that goes with the RCF tops is probably the best active sub you can get. with one active sub from them you could do some large gigs

Im sure many will recommend this sub on this forum and other dj forums.
it is 800w RMS which for one active bin is very good. they do another subwoofer above that called the ART 905as (1000w RMS) if the money is no objective.

the ART 5 or 7 series by RCF these are miles better than the Mackies these are the very best. (750w RMS those tops) and again excellent reviews on the forums.

If you can afford HK Audio i would go for them...

Penfold42
07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Chaps,

This thread is going to turn into a willy waving contest....or 'Mines better than yours' thread....

Can we get back on topic please.

:)
----------------------------------

Mackie 450 V2's.....over to you Tom.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2008, 11:49 AM
But this thread isn't about RCF John and RCF and Mackie are very similar anyway.

Twinspin
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12543

i think i dont need to say anymore.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-12-2008, 11:56 AM
I will repeat John.

That has nothing to do with this thread.

Grahame Case
07-12-2008, 02:19 PM
just a quick note, many different PA systems can be forced to sound "good" - with a bit of Gentle EQing - when i was at St Andrew's university we had a 12kw Martin Audio Touring rig, of 4 W8C Tops - (no not the band) and 6 WSX subs, and when i arrived there they sounded :Censored: because some numpty had set them up wrongly, the crossovers were wrongly set and the compressor and equalizer was also wrongly set.

the odd PA system can't be forced to sound good - Prosound for example

right back to the point in Hand - Mackies or HK?

Twinspin
07-12-2008, 03:25 PM
In that case HK Audio. I would personally look at them. They cost a lot of money. But for the price you pay you get quality. I even prefer HK Audio to my own system which i like as well.

Plus they are a lot more reliable as well than Mackie. Depends on how many people you want to cater for.

for up to 150 guests. The Lucas systems by HK are brilliant. Ive had a Lucas 1000 but for the larger gigs 200+ it wasnt powerful enough but for the application it was designed for it is very powerful.

for larger gigs you could get.

either a HK Audio Elias PX (About £2500) with the two subs and tops again very nice system.

or if you are doing bigger gigs and want that extra bang and oomph. I would look at a HK Audio Actor DX even more powerful. (6 box system 2x 12" longthrow tops and 4x 15" bins

in the region of £3500

A smaller HK Lucas would be a good call.

A HK Audio Lucas Max / Alpha (2000 watts RMS) 1x sub 2x 12" tops

would be awesome with just the one sub.

very well built and powerful all the gear that HK Audio produce. Then i wanted a system to do larger events.

I made a massive mistake selling my lucas for the srm450s

Bouncy Dancefloor
07-12-2008, 08:27 PM
from comparing the V1's to the V2's, the V2's seem to have more balls to them ,i think this is the main thing addressed between V1 and 2. The Bass amps kept failing on V1's, so its been uprated

wensleydale
07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
interesting to see the thread from the other forum- mackies dont seem to be too popular with those folks.

Grahame Case
07-12-2008, 08:52 PM
looking at this from a monetary point of view -

a full V2 set - 2 subs 2 tops would cost roughly £2950 - suitable for up to about 450 people i would say.

the HK audio rigs are much cheaper in comparison - - i think they sound better too for the money

i'm wanting something i can use regularly, and not over drive, yet provide crisp clear sound - resulting in lower volumes overall. and also something that is flexible enough to cover a multitude of locations

Twinspin
08-12-2008, 02:55 AM
If your wanting to do large events up to 450 people i would spend the extra cash and go for the Actor DX. That system is extremely powerful. nice sound from the top end and deep powerful bass. That wont struggle at all

although the full system has 4 subs you dont have to use them all you can set the system up 2 just use 2 subs or even one. So it gives you the added flexibility. If you want to play the even larger gigs it gives you the flexibility to go a lot louder without pushing it.

Another big advantage with HK audio as well is this. The system you can buy the paint for from HK so after a while of gigging you could touch them up with the HK paint and they will look as a good as new.

I really like HK Audio i think they are brilliant. We have a user on here of the Actor DX. Lee Newsome so Lee might give you some advice on it.

Corabar Steve
08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
But What about the SRM450v2 which is what the question is being asked.

Please confine replies to those specific to the original question. Preferably if you've had experience of both.

Twinspin
08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
the odd PA system can't be forced to sound good - Prosound for example

right back to the point in Hand - Mackies or HK?

But What about the SRM450v2 which is what the question is being asked.

compare those two quotes. Was the question been asked wasnt just about the
SRM450s ?? It wasnt.

But i will say this.

I am not going to recommend Mackie. I have had HK Audio also which i think are a lot better.

If you think my posts are off topic. Delete them its your call. But i arent going to be posting anymore advice if thats the case. Because id sooner not waste my energy typing if thats the reply im going to get because my last post was on topic.

Grahame Case
08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
the advice i have received from Twinspin so far is very valuable - it actually helps to have someone who has knowledge of the higher end sound systems.

and has helped me think that HK audio would more than likely be the way forward.

Corabar Steve
08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
& if I told you that my Class Ds absolutely annihilated an HK system being used by a Frank Sinatra & Robbie Williams tribute double act so much so that they asked to run through my system for their second set?

All I'll have done is throw another comparison into the hat that is about as relevant as John's constant plugging of RCF to the original question.

We're d@mned if we let threads run off topic & we're d@mned If we try & keep to the original question.

If you want opinions on other systems then fine, but I've been trying to keep the thread on the same track as the original post. The thread title is usually a clue to most of us.

Twinspin, have you even heard the V2 SRM450?

Grahame Case
08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
i think what i'll need to do is get myself along to a local stockist of both and take some tracks with me to be played over both systems.

its all academic until you compare them like for like in the same environment,

Corabar Steve
08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Indeed

Grahame Case
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
and, it is all academic anyway, as i haven't got enough money for either systems right now.

Twinspin
08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
To answer your question Steve. I have heard the V2 version otherwise i will not comment. At the time of buying the ART tops that i use now. The SRM450 v2 cabs had just come out. The guy in the shop showed me the systems within the price i wanted to pay and the three contenders were Mackie, RCF, DB Technologies. I listened to all three of them and it was the ARTs that sounded the best and about £100 less than the V2s

The v2 version of the srm450s are better than the older ones. But i did prefer the ARTs im not plugging anyone into buying them. i mentioned the options available in the range and to go and have a listen to them because i personally like them. They will either be grahams cup of tea or not.

I believe that the best way to look for a PA system is to take some advice from the forums or even the guy in a pro audio shop and then go and listen to each system recommended. That way you can find a system that is the best suited to your needs and meets your personal preference in sound.

Thats the best way to go for a PA system.

What i posted about HK Audio is completely on track of the thread because they were also asked about in this thread by Graham.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-12-2008, 05:20 PM
John

You are getting dates mixed up. You had your RCFs before mine and when I bought mine, the 450V2 weren't around, so I'm not sure how you listened to them....

Penfold42
08-12-2008, 05:46 PM
What I want to know is - where's Tom when you need him.........:D :D

Twinspin
08-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I have actually had 2x pairs of the RCF ART cabs. My first pair that i got before you got yours darren my first pair of the ARTs got broken by my roadie when he was drunk dropped them down a marble staircase.

So not been able to claim through musicguard i had to replace the speakers out my own pocket. Then i went to electromusic in doncaster they told me that the best three cabs were RCF Mackie and DB for the price range.

The first pair i got.... come from Absolute Music Solutions.

Tom
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
What I want to know is - where's Tom when you need him.........:D :D

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO. ;) :p :D

Thanks for the pm Tony.

Just had a quick read through the thread.

I do have a pair of the SRM450 V2.

Now where do I start. They do not get hot, how ever hard you push them, which is great is you are worried about the amps getting hot.

I have to admit that they are not bass heavy cabs but they will be able to throw a lot of sound from such small cabs. They use a 12" main driver and to be honest, it does go quite low for such a small speaker. Just a good cab really.

If you have anymore questions, just fire away as I believe I am the only one on this forum who uses them, I think???

Penfold42
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
You are here then.....:p :D :D :D

As I thought....a very good cab...of which you speak well of. :)

What the weight again Tom?

Tom
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Each cab is 18kg each, which is rather light for an active speaker. :)

Grahame Case
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Tom,

will ask away on here rather than a private message as i feel it would help the discussion more.

Do you have experience with the V1's or just the V2's?

Would you recommend to someone, like myself, who is about 8 Months into Mobile DJing and very concious about their image, and the quality of equipment they use to upgrade to Mackies, as they are truly flexible?

Would these be an improvement on a Pair of Maplin Prosound 15 Inch 450W speakers and a 1000w amp? :P

if you had the money would you have gone for a different PA system over your Mackies?

Tom
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Tom,

will ask away on here rather than a private message as i feel it would help the discussion more.

Do you have experience with the V1's or just the V2's?

Would you recommend to someone, like myself, who is about 8 Months into Mobile DJing and very concious about their image, and the quality of equipment they use to upgrade to Mackies, as they are truly flexible?

Would these be an improvement on a Pair of Maplin Prosound 15 Inch 450W speakers and a 1000w amp? :P

if you had the money would you have gone for a different PA system over your Mackies?

I have heard the V1's but I own the V2's.

Sorry to say it again but its all down to personal choice. A pair of V2's are quite expensive and did take me a while to save up and buy them but I'm glad I did.

As the v2's are plastic, you will loose some bass but the top end will be a lot brighter.

Anything will be better than Maplin gear. SOme poeple on here use maplin gear and have never had a problem (i think) but some other uses hae had problems.

There are a lot of speakers out there on the market. I think your best best would be to go to a DJ store with a maximum budget and listen to loads of speakers with different genre's of music. That way you can compare them all and see what sounds best.

EDIT:

If I had more money then I would look at brands like Void for example. JAmie Whitehouse uses Void and loves them. I have heard the flagship Stasys sound system at BPM and Plasa and fell in love with the sound but the speakers are very expensive but they are some of the best out there.

Grahame Case
09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Tom - do you use 1501 subs or 1801 subs with your mackies or is it just the tops?

Tom
09-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont use any Mackie subs, just the tops.

If I need to use a sub then I use the DB Sub15. On paper its a lot louder than the 1501 so I went for that. the 1801 is a lot larger and would not fit in my car.

The 1501 and DB Sub15 are the same size cab but the DB sub 15 is 800 watts rms and at a max spl of 133 spl which is quite a bit more than the 1501.

I am looking at other subs tbh because I need more volume to keep with the tops for larger halls for example.

Grahame Case
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
transportation would also be my problem - i personally own a renault clio which is not at all practical

- I shift my stuff around mostly in a converted Kangoo, which has a ramp for easy access and i can roll my mixer flightcase on and off with ease. Although this is starting to get very full when i add in all my equipment and lightboxes, so full my hazer and CD cases have to sit in the front seatwell..

I have access to a Renault Trafic, although my father who owns it isn't very happy about me going on the insurance for it.

currently looking at the possibility of buying the tops to start off with then adding the subs at a later stage when i have a van of my own.

Tom
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I use a 3door focus so space is an issuse for me also.

Van insurance is way to much for me so I just use the car with buisness use which is a lot cheaper for me.

If space is an issue then go for a pair of 1501, or even one for the time being, but If you get the 1801's then you will have extra low end to cover larger gigs.

Excalibur
09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
OK, sofa time. :sofa: I now note that the thread has widened up into
" What's a good next step up from Prosound? " As Tom said, just about anything. :D If space is a big factor, then consider two 15" wooden passives. You'll get much more bass than 12" plastics, and may find that you don't need subs except for the biggest gigs.

Grahame Case
09-12-2008, 09:29 PM
ah Excalibur, i know anything would be better than a Prosound, and you and i both know know that if you buy cheap you end up regretting it.

at the time unfortunately Prosound was all i could afford, as I chose to invest my money else where, (on my Denon CD players)

but enough of my woes, i'm looking for something fairly light to carry around too, so this is why the Mackies really interest me. at present i have 15 inch passive cabs from Maplin, and they weigh a lot,

Excalibur
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
ah Excalibur, i know anything would be better than a Prosound, and you and i both know know that if you buy cheap you end up regretting it.

at the time unfortunately Prosound was all i could afford, as I chose to invest my money else where, (on my Denon CD players)

but enough of my woes, i'm looking for something fairly light to carry around too, so this is why the Mackies really interest me. at present i have 15 inch passive cabs from Maplin, and they weigh a lot,

Not a dig mate, just an observation. :D Been there, done that..................

For many years, I used a pair of Peavey Eurosys 3's as main PA. They're light, and I loved them, as did my helper at the time. ( Cos they were about a third of the weight of the other gear we had! ) The do however lack bass when compared to these.
http://www.classd.ltd.uk/product.php?productid=16144&cat=23&page=1
( I note that their prices appear to be rising quite a bit, I paid £250 for mine a year ago ). They're not the lightest, or smallest, but I'd suggest that you could get more bass from them than the 450's. If the budget stretched that far, I'd go for these like a shot, with an amp to drive them to their potential.
http://www.soundsincorporated.com/product261.htm

Both a bit heavier than the new mackies, but that's where the bottom end comes from.

Tom
09-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I agree with you Peter.

Wooden cabs will give you more bass than a plastic.

That way, you won't need to carry subs as the tops will be able to produce enough bass.

I bought the mackies as most of my gigs were in small halls and functions room but now I seem to be getting much larger gigs where I need enough power for a 400 people strong room. :(

You said you were worried about image. Lets say you bought some mackies. You know they cost x amount but the people on the dance floor wont really care what gear you have. Just aslong as they can hear the music and its clean and not distorted and have plenty of lighting then they will be happy and will dance the night away.

I think Class-D would be better suited to you but that's just my opinion. I know that listening to them would be out of the the question but if you can then give it a go. Quite a few people on here really rate them so they must be doing something right.

All speakers have there pros anc cons.

Mackies speakers:

Light,
Small and compact,
Not enough bass
very little heat generated from amps,

Class-D

Slighty heavier and larger than mackies,
Plenty of bass,
Needs an amp to power them up.

Charlie Brown
12-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Argh!

Terrible, terrible, terrible,

Dad has just thrown up everywhere (quite funny) - he reckons it was down to the sound. I and all the staff at tonight's doo feel really ill.

It's just a squeeky sqarky sound - Maybe I need a bass bin with them, but my previous Class D and Pro Sound make the Mackies look silly. Wish I hadn't sold it!

I really don't see what the fuss is about - they are very loud, lightweight, classy - but sound diabolical!

Charlie Brown
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Jazzi
good disco again charlie!
23:02Charlie
thanks
do your ears not really really hurt?
23:03Jazzi
there ringing a bit and i have a bad headache. mum gave me a parceatmol

----

This is one of many comments I have had tonight. One of the staff (woman) had to go home, she couldn't stand the noise. I mean, it was just a racquet - so tiny.

Charlie Brown
12-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Just had two calls

Someone has now gone to hospital because they feel so disoriented by them.

Another girl has just walked in her bedroom door because she feels so dizzy - and had a huge nose bleed.

This can't be normal?

My Dads head is currently over the loo...

spin mobile disco
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Mackies need to be eq'ed to get the best of them I have never heard of any of those symptoms so would suggest a look at the buffet may hold the answer.

Charlie Brown
12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
No. There wasn't any foood - honestly, it was the sound - appalling.

DJ James Lake
12-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Were you using a smoke machine charlie? This sounds more like the symptoms of a smoke machine not heating correctly.....or too much cheap alchohol

Charlie Brown
12-03-2010, 11:58 PM
No booze - they are 12 and no smoke machine

sweetie
13-03-2010, 12:24 AM
:o

Excalibur
13-03-2010, 06:52 AM
OK, well sadly I have no magic answer Charlie. With regard to the comment " Mackies need to be EQ'ed " all I can say is that at a recent gig where Twinspin and I ran a system each, one RCF, one Class D. We both had the same Denon mixers, and I noted that we had paid particulat attention to the EQ on them in order to get the ultimate sound quality.

All tone controls set dead flat on both rigs. :D :D :D

csg
13-03-2010, 07:11 AM
nosebleed caused by a pair of mackies? No. Headache / tinnitus, well quite possibly.

i think we all need to remember, sound is a very subjective thing, and as everybody has different tastes and hearing, we all like the sound of different systems.

The only piece of advice that i would offer here is:
Listen to your intended purchase, and if they sound good to you, tick all the practical and financial boxes, then go with them.

Dont buy of hearsay, you most likely wont find the right product.

Now, if you do want a nosebleed, let me plug in my 30kw Void acoustics Arcline system...

DJ James Lake
13-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I run the v2's and 2 db subs and never have to touch the eq's everything is run totally flat and always sound sweet.

A lot of the systems i have seen and heard its not the eq on the speakers its the mixer that can make a huge difference.

If you test them on various mixers you'll hear the difference.

These are the mixers I've used with my v2's and what i found when run totally flat

Behringer = lack of bass
Pioneer = very bass heavy
Citronic = bass heavy
Denon = bass heavy
Allen & Heath = spot on

1st Choice Karaoke
13-03-2010, 04:46 PM
We use V2's as well, have had them for over a year. they hace covered everything from kids parties to 200 people at a wedding disco. we do not use subs with them. I find them a little harsh with a flat Eq but tweaking the mid down a little fixes that. They are nice and light too. Overall, we are very happy with them, a great little all round speaker.

Penfold42
13-03-2010, 06:14 PM
We use V2's as well, have had them for over a year. they hace covered everything from kids parties to 200 people at a wedding disco. we do not use subs with them. I find them a little harsh with a flat Eq but tweaking the mid down a little fixes that. They are nice and light too. Overall, we are very happy with them, a great little all round speaker.

:agree:

Lovely mids on the V2's. IMO. :)