PDA

View Full Version : Backup Laptop/Soundcard Question

Megamix
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I currently use a Numark CM200 USB and mac. Therefore using the USB connection - I then have the CD decks to fall back on if the laptop fails.

But if the mixer fails I would need another backup solution.

Am I correct in assuming a 2nd laptop plus external soundcard would be all I need or is a hardware mixer either a necessity or a good idea?.

TIA

Megamix

discomobiledj
09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
In a emergency you could go direct from the laptop to the amp but through a mixer is the best way IMO. A cheap 2 channel mixer would do you fine as a back up.

Bouncy Dancefloor
10-12-2008, 04:37 AM
my local dj shop has cheap 2 channel mixers
http://www.cdkm.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d222.html#p1395
£35 and £25 respectively, i carry one round in the boot of the car. I was about 45 mins from home one night and my mixer would cut out, red light off, then come back on 5 seconds later, not good! I changed the power lead etc, no joy. So i whipped this one out and it did the job and the client was none the wiser!

rob1963
10-12-2008, 06:05 AM
I was about 45 mins from home one night and my mixer would cut out, red light off, then come back on 5 seconds later, not good! I changed the power lead etc, no joy. So i whipped this one out and it did the job and the client was none the wiser!

Out of interest, what was the problem with the mixer?

I'm just interested, as I've never had any problems with a mixer before.

JAMdisco
10-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Me neither. I currently use the Numark DM950USB but am looking at the one you use (CM200USB) due to having more channels. When I get this, I'll be using the old 2 channel one as a back up.

They are a nice little mixer and retail around £80 - very good for a backup.

Bouncy Dancefloor
10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
mine was the original CM200, not the usb one

when we got it back, it turned out the power supply was faulty and was struggling to provide enough juice to keep the mixer running properly. id had it for almost 3 years and during that time it probably averaged about 5 nights a week in that period, so i wasnt particularly bothered, no harm done and it had served me well. For the cost of a new one, i just bought a new one exactly the same.

There is a new version out now, its got grey bits on, they've made them look alot like the Denon equivalents. The sliders seem alot better to hold and the sound quality is meant to be superior (although i cannot verify the sound quality as havnt used on the road)

Excalibur
10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Out of interest, what was the problem with the mixer?

I'm just interested, as I've never had any problems with a mixer before.

Me neither..

Pah. Children! ;) Us Senior citizens have had most things die underneath us at some point. :( :( A brand new mixer ran for ten minutes first time out ( it arrived too late for a pre-gig test drive) and died totally, though still with the little blue power light proudly lit! :eek: :confused: :confused: Fortunately, its predecessor was still in the rig, so was returned into active service temporarily. :D Faulty one was returned and swapped. Replacement never missed a beat.