PDA

View Full Version : JBL EON 15's

Mark Wild
17-12-2008, 06:28 PM
As my first gig as a "Mobile Disco" drawers nearer I've become a little paranoid that the speakers I bought 7 nearly 8 years ago are going to die on there rear (with regards to power and low end). What I find strange is that the speakers I bought all that time ago are the same price now as they were then. Only difference is they were called the EON 15 then and not the EON 1500's and mine are like a gun metal grey colour and not black. (pristine condition by the way)

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR193996

O.k my questions are, are these the exact same speakers from 2001 or am I a little wet behind the ears after too long in Tenerife? Would you use these speakers with no subs to a New Year gig to 100 - 150 people? Would you buy 500 watt speakers to replace them or just add subs?

Maybe be these are noobish questions, but, who else would I ask, apart from you fellas !

scoopd
17-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I use my JBL 15's with no Subs in smal/medium sized venues and they sound fine. If you are concerned it might be worth doing a "dry run" in an equivalent sized venue

Mark Wild
18-12-2008, 05:30 AM
I use my JBL 15's with no Subs in smal/medium sized venues and they sound fine. If you are concerned it might be worth doing a "dry run" in an equivalent sized venue

Yeah your right mate, I think I've listened to them too much in my living room and its warped my perception of them, the father in-law has a gym, I'll twist his arm and give them a whirl in there.

Thanks scoopd

wensleydale
18-12-2008, 06:57 AM
i had some eon 15s too- for anything up to about 200 you should be fine (assuming the amp can cope).
sometimes I think people on here get a little too concerned with speaker size, subs etc- I've got a pair of mackies as back up to the rcfs in case i need to get some more "sound enhancement" but to date have never needed to use them.

keep in mind you are playing to the dance floor- yes people in other parts of the venue need to be able to hear the music but it doesnt need to be full volume throughout the venue.

CRAZY K
18-12-2008, 10:12 AM
As my first gig as a "Mobile Disco" drawers nearer I've become a little paranoid that the speakers I bought 7 nearly 8 years ago are going to die on there rear (with regards to power and low end). What I find strange is that the speakers I bought all that time ago are the same price now as they were then. Only difference is they were called the EON 15 then and not the EON 1500's and mine are like a gun metal grey colour and not black. (pristine condition by the way)

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR193996

O.k my questions are, are these the exact same speakers from 2001 or am I a little wet behind the ears after too long in Tenerife? Would you use these speakers with no subs to a New Year gig to 100 - 150 people? Would you buy 500 watt speakers to replace them or just add subs?

Maybe be these are noobish questions, but, who else would I ask, apart from you fellas !

I have used these ( while working with a Disco--im a Caller) and thought they were a bit lacking bass for my personal taste.

Depends on the crowd for NYE really.

If you need loads of bass in a sizeable hall with 150 screaming customers NYE I would suggest Subs ( providing you have transport ) long as the amp has enough power to drive four speakers.

You can pick them up secondhand pretty reasonably.

CRAZY K

Mark Wild
18-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I just bought a powered mixer http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=6039 this should cope fine (I hope). I guess sounds a very personal thing, but I agree they can sound a bit toppy which is what i'm worried about. I took scoops advice and tomorrow I will set them up for a "dry run" in the father inlaws gym. May be a question of whether or not to add subs as oppose to new speakers. I think your right Wensleydale sometimes speaker size can come across as an extention to your old boy on here. :p