PDA

View Full Version : Laptop extension monitor

Daryll
21-12-2008, 08:50 PM
My eyes are not what they used to be, and my playout laptop only has a 15" screen ( it may even be 14").
Are there any problems in hooking up a 19" tft to the vga socket on the laptop ?.
I already use a cordless mouse and a illuminated USB keyboard, so with a extension monitor the laptop can go on the lower shelf.
I was thinking about a desktop PC , but that's just another box to carry :(

Cheers

Daryll

Jiggles
21-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeh it will work fine.

DazzyD
21-12-2008, 09:38 PM
This is what I'm considering at the moment.

When someone (ok, so it was me!) spilled some liquid over one of my laptops keyboard, and broke it, I bought a USB keyboard. I already use a cordless mouse. My laptop doesn't look good with it's keyboard removed. I'm thinking of adding a monitor and then keeping the lappy on a shelf under the mixer (with the lid slightly open so it will still work!). I know this will work and I'm sure it will look a whole lot better. It will save me having to buy a new lappy just yet, anyway!

Daryll
21-12-2008, 09:54 PM
At home I have the Lacie photon 19 vision , I thought about another one of these , until I saw the price :eek:

Daryll

ultrasound disco
23-12-2008, 02:51 PM
This is what I'm considering at the moment.

When someone (ok, so it was me!) spilled some liquid over one of my laptops keyboard, and broke it, I bought a USB keyboard. I already use a cordless mouse. My laptop doesn't look good with it's keyboard removed. I'm thinking of adding a monitor and then keeping the lappy on a shelf under the mixer (with the lid slightly open so it will still work!). I know this will work and I'm sure it will look a whole lot better. It will save me having to buy a new lappy just yet, anyway!

you can configure most laptops not to go into standby when you close the lid. :D:D

Daryll
23-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Just an update.
Went to PC world and brought .

This (http://www.acer.co.uk/public/page4.do?link=oln56.redirect&dau22.oid=28097&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+Kingdom&crc=630313680)

( this is the acer site as I cannot find it on Pc world)

£98.

just Plug and Pray (play :D ) , it works well.I`ll try it out in anger Xmas eve.

Cheers

Daryll

Jiggles
23-12-2008, 03:50 PM
22" for the same price http://tinyurl.com/98u9mz :D

One Vision
23-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Just an update.
Went to PC world and brought .

This (http://www.acer.co.uk/public/page4.do?link=oln56.redirect&dau22.oid=28097&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+Kingdom&crc=630313680)

( this is the acer site as I cannot find it on Pc world)

£98.

just Plug and Pray (play :D ) , it works well.I`ll try it out in anger Xmas eve.

Cheers

Daryll

The Acer one you have bought is a good one and should last you a few years and possibly the perfect size for its intended use.
Having one too big for what your using it for can be a bit of a hindrance as your generally working quite close to it so the bigger it is the harder it can be to view properly, but opposite if using for karaoke :)

nigelwright7557
23-12-2008, 09:47 PM
My eyes are not what they used to be, and my playout laptop only has a 15" screen ( it may even be 14").
Are there any problems in hooking up a 19" tft to the vga socket on the laptop ?.
I already use a cordless mouse and a illuminated USB keyboard, so with a extension monitor the laptop can go on the lower shelf.
I was thinking about a desktop PC , but that's just another box to carry :(

Cheers

Daryll

Why would there be a problem ? :bang: :bang: :bang:
Thast what its designed for !

Daryll
24-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Why would there be a problem ? :bang: :bang: :bang:
Thast what its designed for !

Mainly because I am not as savy with PC`s and computers as you appear to be!!!

Jiggles
24-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Daryll just ignore him.

501damian501
24-12-2008, 02:50 PM
cant go wrong with a rackmount computer... lol

djsteve10
24-12-2008, 02:54 PM
cant go wrong with a rackmount computer... lol

But we are talking about LCD Displays? :confused: :confused:

501damian501
24-12-2008, 02:56 PM
But we are talking about LCD Displays? :confused: :confused:

people worried about people spilling drinks on their laptop, go for a rackmount... !!!!!!!!

djsteve10
24-12-2008, 03:00 PM
people worried about people spilling drinks on their laptop, go for a rackmount... !!!!!!!!

There hasn't been no mention of drink spillages in this thread Damian. Back on topic... When my laptop was damaged at a Karaoke night several years ago i just turned around the LCD monitor and ran off that for the rest of the evening, It got me by, Infact I used this method for serveral weeks while the new laptop arrived.

Daryll
25-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry about the image quality (mobile phone).

New Monitor in action.

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif