PDA

View Full Version : All EQ'd up

Tom
22-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Just been plaing around with my rack mount EQ with my speaker setup using the Mackie V2 tops and DB sub 15. I am using a 31 band EQ so it ranges from 20hz right up to 20khz.

Been playing by ear and I think I have worked it out but would still need tweaking in a live situation. This is what has been adjusted.

31.5hz = +4
40hz = +4
80hz = -7
500hz = -2
630hz = -2
800hz = -2
12.5k = -2
16k = -2

Notice no happy smile on the graphic eq. lol. :D

After these small changes the sound is more clearer. 80hz had a big drop as this was quite boomy and to punchy. I try all genres of music from pop to dance, even metal and it was way to much for all music.

Mackies are know for being quite high in the treble but after playing about, the frequencies that are a tad to high are the 12.5k and 16k. With a backoff of -2, its much easier on the ear, while still keeping that crispness.

I played a song to 3 different people with the new settings on and off and when ask what did they think sound best, it was the new eq version. "not in your face" as one put it.

I was happy with that.:)

Will give a full report tomorrow as I have a football party so should be a good test, I hope. :)

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 07:44 PM
31 Band, eh? :confused: Back in the days, that would be 29 more than we had on here. ;) :D :D :D
http://leeds.gumtree.com/leeds/98/25851698.html
Made setting up quicker. :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Does a decent sound system need eqing?

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Well spotted that man, I forgot Tom had Mackies. I always run the EQ flat on my Class-D's.:approve:

Dynamic Entertainment
22-12-2008, 07:51 PM
As far as I'm aware, not strictly, but it can't hurt it. I use a behringer one that has a feedback eliminator, which is great when the drunkard giving the "Thank You" speech wanders infront of the speakers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 07:54 PM
As far as I'm aware, not strictly, but it can't hurt it. I use a behringer one that has a feedback eliminator, which is great when the drunkard giving the "Thank You" speech wanders infront of the speakers.

I didn't think you could eliminate feedback?

I thought all they did was to cut the frequency that was feediing back, which is not great when someone is speaking?

Vectis
22-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I always start flat and tweak to the nuances of the particular room x you get to know after a while what's needed just by playing the same couple of reference songs.

Also I find differences per side if for example one speaker is closer to a wall or corner and the other is in the middle of the room one might need a boost at the lower end whilst the other needs pulling back a bit.

Well worth spending a few minutes on it though as it can make a big difference overall.

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 07:58 PM

I thought all they did was to cut the frequency that was feediing back, which is not great when someone is speaking?

My belief too, but at least it's better than the feedback. Isn't it? Or just ride the faders and kills like us mortals. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 07:59 PM
My belief too, but at least it's better than the feedback. Isn't it? Or just ride the faders and kills like us mortals. ;)

Or set your system up properly and use decent mics and sound system. Did you hear anything at my party? ;)

Tom
22-12-2008, 08:04 PM

I think so.

These were only minor adjustments at the moment. We all know about the Mackies being treble high, so I found the frequencies and turned them down. Not like treble on a mixer where it can turn a whole band of frequencies down.

The DB subs was quite punchy and boomy around the 80hz region. Needed to turn that down, which again, a mixer cannot do as it turns a whole band of frequencies.

Well spotted that man, I forgot Tom had Mackies. I always run the EQ flat on my Class-D's.:approve:

Shut it you. lol.

Don't forget that you use wooden cabs and I use plastic cabs so the characteristics of both cabs are going to be totally different. If anything, I would of turned down the bass on the Class-D speakers as if I remember reading on here that they are quite bassy cabs anyway.

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Or set your system up properly and use decent mics and sound system. Did you hear anything at my party? ;)

Don't tempt me on that one. :D :D

Tom
22-12-2008, 08:07 PM

This is true. I have this feature on my eq. When a certain frequency is causing feedback, it goes solid red. You then turn this down untill the light is dim or the feedback has gone.

You can also get digital ones that do this for you but I have found that these can squeal before the certain frequency is cut out.

rob1963
22-12-2008, 08:13 PM

This begs another question.

What do people adjust when doing a sound check?

nigelwright7557
22-12-2008, 08:17 PM

An EQ is way over the top.
A bass and treble control are more than enough.

Just coz the EQ was set right for one song doesnt mean it is right for the next ! Most songs are produced by different producers with different ideas of how much bass, middle and treble there should be.

So your settings only match one song.
Are you going to EQ on the fly every single song ?

Thats just not practical.

Penfold42
22-12-2008, 08:21 PM

What else is there to do.....:confused:

I make adjustments all the time....slight tweak here and there....:)

Dynamic Entertainment
22-12-2008, 08:21 PM
It depends on the frequency, and the speakers voice, as to whether the drop will make it sound crap. Ive never had a huge problem with it, except on the odd occasion when i have to turn the gain on the mic channel right up due to stupidly quiet speakers (or those who hold the mic at arms length, even when told not to) and then wander infront of the sound system. I can wave the mic about and its fine for my use.

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I think so.

These were only minor adjustments at the moment. We all know about the Mackies being treble high, so I found the frequencies and turned them down. Not like treble on a mixer where it can turn a whole band of frequencies down.

The DB subs was quite punchy and boomy around the 80hz region. Needed to turn that down, which again, a mixer cannot do as it turns a whole band of frequencies.

Shut it you. lol.

Don't forget that you use wooden cabs and I use plastic cabs so the characteristics of both cabs are going to be totally different. If anything, I would of turned down the bass on the Class-D speakers as if I remember reading on here that they are quite bassy cabs anyway.

OK, Serious time. Darren, I basically agree with Tom. He's just fine tuning . You also have a valid point that a high grade rig should need less of it.

Re Class-D woden cabs, yes they can be bassy. Especially the 215's. I've just about got all the bass off the mixer at the moment, and there's more than enough still.

Edit: Just read Nigel's post. Tom, we're wrong, you've wasted your time and money. ;) ;) :D :D

nigelwright7557
22-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Re Class-D woden cabs, yes they can be bassy.

But half the messages on this board concern people wanting us to recommend subs coz they dont get enough bass !

Bass is very important as that is the beat people dance to.

rob1963
22-12-2008, 08:32 PM

I'm glad to hear that, beausse that's all my new idj2 has...a rotary bass control & one for the treble.

Excalibur
22-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm glad to hear that, beausse that's all my new idj2 has...a rotary bass control & one for the treble.

And that's one too many for the technically challenged like you. :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-12-2008, 08:49 PM

I meant an external graphic, which I'm sure you well know.

rob1963
22-12-2008, 08:52 PM
And that's one too many for the technically challenged like you. :p

Pot, kettle, black!

:D :D :D :D :D

I meant an external graphic, which I'm sure you well know.

Apologies for misunderstanding you, Darren, but I had no idea you were talking about an external graphic...hence my post.

Mark Wild
22-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Just been plaing around with my rack mount EQ with my speaker setup using the Mackie V2 tops and DB sub 15. I am using a 31 band EQ so it ranges from 20hz right up to 20khz.

Been playing by ear and I think I have worked it out but would still need tweaking in a live situation. This is what has been adjusted.

31.5hz = +4
40hz = +4
80hz = -7
500hz = -2
630hz = -2
800hz = -2
12.5k = -2
16k = -2

After these small changes the sound is more clearer. 80hz had a big drop as this was quite boomy and to punchy. I try all genres of music from pop to dance, even metal and it was way to much for all music.

Mackies are know for being quite high in the treble but after playing about, the frequencies that are a tad to high are the 12.5k and 16k. With a backoff of -2, its much easier on the ear, while still keeping that crispness.

I played a song to 3 different people with the new settings on and off and when ask what did they think sound best, it was the new eq version. "not in your face" as one put it.

Will give a full report tomorrow as I have a football party so should be a good test, I hope. :)

I fail to understand this thread Tom, so what your saying is for someone with the same equipment as you, who has a rack mount 31 band EQ with a range of 20HZ to 20KHZ (which incidentally is the perception of the human ear) should use the same settings to utilise this equipment? I think you'll find its horses for courses and what you think sounds good others may not. Also in the environment you test in, all your surroundings will all have different densities and co-efficients to where someone else is. Its not possible to give EQ settings for someone else, is it? Or were you just stating a personal preference?

nigelwright7557
22-12-2008, 11:48 PM
From what you have said it looks like your loudspeakers have a resonance at 80Hz. That is no suprise for a driver as all have a resonant frequency.
But your loudspeaker enclosure should be flattening it out a bit.

Perhaps it is a resonance between the driver and the enclosure ?
Perhaps there is insufficient damping inside the enclosure ?

Tom
23-12-2008, 12:18 AM
I fail to understand this thread Tom, so what your saying is for someone with the same equipment as you, who has a rack mount 31 band EQ with a range of 20HZ to 20KHZ (which incidentally is the perception of the human ear) should use the same settings to utilise this equipment? I think you'll find its horses for courses and what you think sounds good others may not. Also in the environment you test in, all your surroundings will all have different densities and co-efficients to where someone else is. Its not possible to give EQ settings for someone else, is it? Or were you just stating a personal preference?

Right. Who said I was giving eq settings for anyone???

Not all rackmout graphics have the full 20hz to 20khz range. Some small ones only go up to 16khz. This is why I stated it went from 20hz right up to 20khz.

Also in my post I did say I was playing it by ear, so thats what I think sounds best. I like a very nice, clean and balanced sound. I dont like lots of bass for example. Just makes music sound :Censored: . (sorry for swearing. i dont usually swear on a forum)

Also I did say that I got 3 people to give me there opinion on what sounded best with the graphic on and off. All three said that the sound was better with the graphic on and one quoted "not in your face" as it was before eq was turned on.

I also said that I will be giving a full report tomorrow. This means that things may need to be adjusted, which I know will need to be.

From what you have said it looks like your loudspeakers have a resonance at 80Hz. That is no suprise for a driver as all have a resonant frequency.

I think its the other way round.

A cab will make peaks a lot bigger, hence the reason to lower the 80hz. I think this is group delay related if im correct.

Maby DB Tech got things wrong with port size, lengh and cab size as these can reduce these peaks to make the sound sound a lot better and not "one noted". After all, they did want a small, compact and loud sub.

Also I just want to note, that how ever much anyone spends on speakers or amps, might as well throw that in aswell, every speaker system will need some kind of eq weither it be a small 3 band eq on your dj mixer or a full 31 band eq. Any kind of sound will be different in any venue and with that you need some sort of eq.

You can't turn up to a gig, play some music and leave it at that. If a song soungs to bassy, what do you do, you turn it down on the mixer. You adjust the eq.

All I am doing is taking out certain frequencies that are causing a small issue in my sound system to try and improve the sound. Whats wrong with that???

Corabar Steve
23-12-2008, 07:50 AM

What else is there to do.....:confused:

I make adjustments all the time....slight tweak here and there....:)
Don't forget Nigel isn't digital, there's tons to do . He has to find the CD, locate the track, cue it up.........

To a general good sound for the room they are in, I wwould've thought that was obvious.

But half the messages on this board concern people wanting us to recommend subs coz they dont get enough bassHow many of those use Class D though?

Do you just get this stuff off the internet?

leighinstoke
23-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Looks a lot of messing with the EQ - playing back pre-recorded music shouldn't require much EQ - maybe a touch of Bass to compensate for the building or a touch of top if the room is softly furnished.

I usually play with a flat EQ most of the time and just EQ my mic.

A1DL
23-12-2008, 09:40 AM

One cannot change the laws of physics and "eliminate" feedback, however it is possible to increase SPL gain before feedback, using several techniques;

(1) a parametric eq (as opposed to a graphic) - rifle approach vs shotgun. Insert at channel/subgroup level, not mains.

(2) apply a few ms delay - only a few, it won't be noticable. Work only with the wet (processed) signal.

(3) apply a very small pitch shift, as above. Again leave the dry signal out of the mix, and shift up, not down (the human hear detects flats before sharps).

However, before doing any of this, get your mic & speaker placement right. Remember you can't polish a turd.

Mark Wild
23-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Right. Who said I was giving eq settings for anyone???

I didn't realise it was a personal experiment you'd decided to log in the "Technical Help" section. :)

501damian501
23-12-2008, 12:46 PM

I once had an nice big flash 30odd band graphic equalizer, to be honest, more hassle than their worth, am happy using the EQ on the mixer, not that it needs massive adjustment, but sometimes a little ajustment is needed of course...

A1DL
23-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I once had an nice big flash 30odd band graphic equalizer

wouldn't expect anything less from you Damian... what was it? Klark, XTA, Gemini? ;)

ultrasound disco
23-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Just coz the EQ was set right for one song doesnt mean it is right for the next ! Most songs are produced by different producers with different ideas of how much bass, middle and treble there should be.

An EQ is important but not essential.
Venues are all different from each other and either swallow or amplify different frequencies.:attn:

Think of a big empty Masonic lodge with wood floors, flat walls and ceiling, and then a nice carpeted Hotel function suite with thick curtains':D:D
Big contrast there with all the in-betweens and not to mention where in the room you set up.
I have set up in 5 different places in one particular hall and each place has its own sound.:confused:

I usually set my mixer on "flat" then play my "2 songs" (kool and the gang oo' la la la and ACDC all nigt long) and EQ for/to the room nuances and that's it for the night.:):)
Since you have just optimized the EQ for that particular venue/spot any further adjustments can be made from the mixer.
I also use a Compressor/limiter just in case those bass notes hit a little too hard.:eek::eek:

Of course the fun comes when you hit the road running and have no time to EQ :bang::bang:

CRAZY K
23-12-2008, 03:46 PM
An EQ is important but not essential.
Venues are all different from each other and either swallow or amplify different frequencies.:attn:

Think of a big empty Masonic lodge with wood floors, flat walls and ceiling, and then a nice carpeted Hotel function suite with thick curtains':D:D
Big contrast there with all the in-betweens and not to mention where in the room you set up.
I have set up in 5 different places in one particular hall and each place has its own sound.:confused:

I usually set my mixer on "flat" then play my "2 songs" (kool and the gang oo' la la la and ACDC all nigt long) and EQ for/to the room nuances and that's it for the night.:):)
Since you have just optimized the EQ for that particular venue/spot any further adjustments can be made from the mixer.
I also use a Compressor/limiter just in case those bass notes hit a little too hard.:eek::eek:

Of course the fun comes when you hit the road running and have no time to EQ :bang::bang:

Not forgetting of course----if you set up in an empty room and then it
fills up with people thats your eq gone :D :D :D

CRAZY K

One Vision
23-12-2008, 04:23 PM

31.5hz = +4
40hz = +4
80hz = -7
500hz = -2
630hz = -2
800hz = -2
12.5k = -2
16k = -2

Hya Tom I was considering an EQ at one stage but went for a 10 channel mixing desk instead as you have better control over the different channels, i.e. I have the play out system going into the stereo channel and the mic in to one of the mic channels so I can EQ them independently of each other.
When I was working with my mate he had an EQ original and had problems as he set the play out system just right he couldn't get the mic right and vice verse.
It also helps if a customer wants to borrow a mic as that is setup on another channel

Excalibur
23-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Not forgetting of course----if you set up in an empty room and then it
fills up with people thats your eq gone :D :D :D

CRAZY K

Another cunning plan shot to pieces. :( :( :( ;)

501damian501
24-12-2008, 01:43 PM
wouldn't expect anything less from you Damian... what was it? Klark, XTA, Gemini? ;)

it were just a basic kam rackmount one, too much :Censored: about to be honest with you, so it got decommissioned :D

Tom
24-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I didn't realise it was a personal experiment you'd decided to log in the "Technical Help" section. :)

I posted it here as it was sound related, hence why it was posted here.

Sorry to confuse you, if it did? :o :)

If admin or a mod wishs to more this then feel free to do so. :)

Tony Scott
24-12-2008, 05:06 PM
I used to use a physical graphic eq but stopped using it when I got a Digital LMS(Loudspeaker Management System). I was going to use the digital eq in the LMS but I now just use the x-over gains for the seperate frequencies..........the sound is much cleaner. :)

Tom
24-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I used to use a physical graphic eq but stopped using it when I got a Digital LMS(Loudspeaker Management System). I was going to use the digital eq in the LMS but I now just use the x-over gains for the seperate frequencies..........the sound is much cleaner. :)

That's what I will be going for. Just used my large eq to try things before I start buying more gear.

A1DL
24-12-2008, 05:39 PM

I understand where you're coming from Tony and as we both well know, the less processing in the overall signal chain - the better, however accessing the GEQ/PEQ menus 'on the fly' using a DSP is slow & fiddly compared to grabbing a fader on a graph.

Most production systems will still include a GEQ before the DSP/s for this reason and that the DSPs are typically in the FOH amp racks (behind the stacks and not at FOH desk / sound control booth). Also it is common to lock the DSPs to stop BEs & DJs changing parameters.

Andy Westcott
25-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Not passing comment on the EQ debate, but I'm interested in the +4 at 31.5Hz. That is way below damping for the majority of commercial boxes and will therefore be reproduced at very poor efficiency. Even 40Hz is dodgy for a small box.

Far more importantly, this doubling of power to the driver at such low frequencies could present a problem if you run at high volumes - the driver's physical abilities may be exceeded as there is no acoustic loading to hold the diaphram in check - the suspension could be damaged or the voice coil could bottom out with expensive consequences.

Not that there's very much detail in the music at that frequency, but it does exist in some tracks so beware - I'd have thought it would be better to cut the response at that frequency, not boost it.

nigelwright7557
25-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Not passing comment on the EQ debate, but I'm interested in the +4 at 31.5Hz. That is way below damping for the majority of commercial boxes

Your more like to feel that frequency through the floor than actually hear it.

Tom
26-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Not passing comment on the EQ debate, but I'm interested in the +4 at 31.5Hz. That is way below damping for the majority of commercial boxes and will therefore be reproduced at very poor efficiency. Even 40Hz is dodgy for a small box.

Far more importantly, this doubling of power to the driver at such low frequencies could present a problem if you run at high volumes - the driver's physical abilities may be exceeded as there is no acoustic loading to hold the diaphram in check - the suspension could be damaged or the voice coil could bottom out with expensive consequences.

Not that there's very much detail in the music at that frequency, but it does exist in some tracks so beware - I'd have thought it would be better to cut the response at that frequency, not boost it.

I boosted the 31.5hz as I felt it did help the overall sound. I did cut everything below 40hz, as thats what the cab was tunned too, but it really did sound like it was missing something. You didnt get that extra depth, even if the eq was flat.

I boosted this as for small rooms you won't need loads of power so if you reduce the volume, you can boost the eq slightly to gain some more bottom end. When you start to raise the volume, the excursion of the driver will increase so much that the driver can become unstable. Not sure how much excursion the Db sub 15 as but I dont think it's that much. Could only be 5mm. But I think anyting after this will just be distorted sound.

I am currently trying to get something sorted as regards to low end bass.

nigelwright7557
26-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I boosted the 31.5hz as I felt it did help the overall sound. I did cut everything below 40hz, as thats what the cab was tunned too, but it really did sound like it was missing something. You didnt get that extra depth, even if the eq was flat.

I boosted this as for small rooms I am currently trying to get something sorted as regards to low end bass.

You will find that at low volume levels you need to boost the low end bass and the high end treble as the ears dont work so well at those frequencies at lower volumes.

Some of the older amps used to have a "Loudness" control to get around this.

Tom
26-12-2008, 12:24 AM
You will find that at low volume levels you need to boost the low end bass and the high end treble as the ears dont work so well at those frequencies at lower volumes.

Some of the older amps used to have a "Loudness" control to get around this.

So you mean something like this? lol

http://www.oracleband.net/graphics/EQ.jpg

nigelwright7557
26-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Youve got it.

Tom
26-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Youve got it.

:Laugh:

:jawdrop:

A1DL
26-12-2008, 12:42 AM

Tom, avoid "smiley-face" EQ-ing. This isn't what the GEQ is for, start with a flat EQ and use your ears.

Smiley face EQ-ing will;
(1) suck all the goodness out of the mids
(2) make a poor attempt to compensate for a system that cannot reproduce frequencies as low as you'd like, increasing subsonic rumble and cone excursion and the chance of killing your bottom end drivers
(3) make the comp drivers sound tinny and piercing.

Tom
26-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Tom, avoid "smiley-face" EQ-ing. This isn't what the GEQ is for, start with a flat EQ and use your ears.

Smiley face EQ-ing will;
(1) suck all the goodness out of the mids
(2) make a poor attempt to compensate for a system that cannot reproduce frequencies as low as you'd like, increasing subsonic rumble and cone excursion and the chance of killing your bottom end drivers
(3) make the comp drivers sound tinny and piercing.

This is what I never do. That's why I had to laugh. lol.

Started flat and worked on that. I had to take a big cut out of the mid on one frequency. I think that's where the crossover is between the LF anf HD driver so they boosted the eq in the amp. Just a guess. Still needs a bit of work though.

As for the low end eq, was just trying things out. I know its not a good thing to do as the cab is not tunned that low. I think I'll tur it back down to flat and work in the mid and high as thats the main problem I need to work on.

Tom
03-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Just been playing around with a new toy. It's a loudspeaker management system (LMS) by behringer. Not the best of brands but I have read very good reviews about this unit so I decided to get one. Bought it on ebay for £150 with free delivery. The cheapest I have seen it for was £188 so saved just under £30. Not to bad really.

So after playing around on the large 3u EQ I had in the rack case, I got a really nice sound. I put this in to the new 1U LMS and boy it makes the speakers sound so much better.

The harshness in the mackies has now gone (3.15khz) and the sub has a more full sound without playing around much on the eq. Just a slight tweek on 80hz.

Have set all the high pass and low pass filters as well as the limiters up so I can crank the system to full max output without the risk of blowing drivers. You can do this to each output (6 outputs) instead of just left and right. Much more flexible imo.

I would definitely recommend this if you want to improve the sound of your speaker setup without having to spend more on speakers. Worth a shot really. :)

nigelwright7557
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
The harshness in the mackies has now gone (3.15khz) and the sub has a more full sound without playing around much on the eq. Just a slight tweek on 80hz.

Dont quote me on this but a music producer I used to know said they often boosted 3KHz as it was a sweet spot to the ear.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Just been playing around with a new toy. It's a loudspeaker management system (LMS) by behringer. Not the best of brands but I have read very good reviews about this unit so I decided to get one. Bought it on ebay for £150 with free delivery. The cheapest I have seen it for was £188 so saved just under £30. Not to bad really.

So after playing around on the large 3u EQ I had in the rack case, I got a really nice sound. I put this in to the new 1U LMS and boy it makes the speakers sound so much better.

Have set all the high pass and low pass filters as well as the limiters up so I can crank the system to full max output without the risk of blowing drivers. You can do this to each output (6 outputs) instead of just left and right. Much more flexible imo.

I would definitely recommend this if you want to improve the sound of your speaker setup without having to spend more on speakers. Worth a shot really. :)

Personally, for this kind of application, I think it's way over the top.

For personal gratification, yes.

If I had a loudspeaker management system, it would mean I had a very high end system or I should have got something better to begin with.

Tony Scott
04-01-2009, 11:05 AM
.....(LMS) by behringer.....

....I would definitely recommend this if you want to improve the sound of your speaker setup without having to spend more on speakers. Worth a shot really. :)

I second that! :approve: No matter what level of system you have as long as it's at least 2 way you will benefit from one of these. (not active speakers obviously)

The behringer is really easy to use as a stand alone unit and even easier if you network it to a laptop. I have a wireless link and set-up my big system by walking out to the dancefloor with the laptop and tweeking it from there!

It gives you total control over your sound, with EQ's, Limiters, Compressors, X-over, delays etc all in a 1U unit.
Even if you were to only use it as a 2way electronic X-over and a Graphic EQ that would justifies the cost alone! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I second that! :approve: No matter what level of system you have as long as it's at least 2 way you will benefit from one of these. (not active speakers obviously)

Which is what Tom uses, is it not? :confused:

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Personally, for this kind of application, I think it's way over the top.

For personal gratification, yes.

If I had a loudspeaker management system, it would mean I had a very high end system or I should have got something better to begin with.

Not sure I agree with you Darren. I can follow your logic, but I reckon if you get a benefit in sound quality, then if it's not too dear it's money well spent. There are very few things which can't be improved upon in some way.
I've seen too many people recommend these systems to disregard them out of hand. If it offers protection as well, then that's surely a good thing.

Tony Scott
04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Which is what Tom uses, is it not? :confused:

Not sure what Tom uses, I meant actives with built in electronic x-overs etc. :)

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Not sure what Tom uses, I meant actives with built in electronic x-overs etc. :)

Now I'm baffled. :eek: Tom uses actives, and says it's great. Tony says it's not good for actives. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I think Tony is talking about active rather than powered speakers.

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I think Tony is talking about active rather than powered speakers.

Now I'm really baffled. :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I'll let Tony explain.

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll let Tony explain.

I wish somebody would. :confused: :( :(

Tony Scott
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Ok.....what I was saying is that for Powered(active) speakers that already have a crossover fitted an LMS is of limited use, the protection, delay and compression features would be useful.

In a set-up like this where the frequencies are split by the electronics in the powered(active) speakers the LMS would not be used to it's full potential.

One of the features I find most useful using an LMS is the ability to use filters as steep or as shallow as I need, My high-pass 32hz on my subs is a 48db Butterworth to give maximum protection, whereas the kick-bass to lo-mid filter is a 24db L-Riley to give a flat response at the x-over frequency.....this feature could not be used if using an LMS with the Powered(active) speakers as described above. :)

Tom
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Now I'm baffled. :eek: Tom uses actives, and says it's great. Tony says it's not good for actives. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I do use active speakers, Mackie and DB but in time will have a passive sub/s when I can source a small, powerful switching amp, possibly 2.

Ok.....what I was saying is that for Powered(active) speakers that already have a crossover fitted an LMS is of limited use, the protection, delay and compression features would be useful.

In a set-up like this where the frequencies are split by the electronics in the powered(active) speakers the LMS would not be used to it's full potential.

One of the features I find most useful using an LMS is the ability to use filters as steep or as shallow as I need, My high-pass 32hz on my subs is a 48db Butterworth to give maximum protection, whereas the kick-bass to lo-mid filter is a 24db L-Riley to give a flat response at the x-over frequency.....this feature could not be used if using an LMS with the Powered(active) speakers as described above. :)

The reason why I bought the LMS because of what it packs in such a small unit. I need a full 31 band eq and limiters which is what LMS has. Great I thought.

These are the features on the unit:

1) Gain
2) EQ's
3) Dynamic EQ
4) Crossover
5) Limiter
6) Polarity/Phase
7) Short/Long Delays

Now for most DJ's, you would not need most of these features but some of these are quite useful.

Now after trying the onboard crossover build in the sub and trying the LMS, the LMS wins hands down on quality. You can pick any crossover point you wish on the LMS which is a lot better than the 80hz, 100hz and 120hz you have on the DB sub 15. I have the sub crossed at 110hz and can go down to 35hz.

I find this LMS much better than having to spend loads on other outboard equipment. Some of you may say that DJ's won't need this kind of processing but if you already use an EQ and also have some kind of compressor or even more outboard equipment, then wny not get a LMS. It has more features and also takes up less space and also less weight, hence the reason why I bought It. :)

Excalibur
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for that lads. I think I understood some of it. :D I'm still playing with a rig I've begun to use a lot more. It's an active x-over, two amps, two subs. One bonus I found is that you can have the gains on the x-over set low, so numpties can't set all the red lights blazing. ;) One of these days, I'll have a concerted play with it so I can get more out of it,but I'd recommend one as the minimum requirement if you have subs and tops.

Tony Scott
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
These are the features on the unit:

1) Gain
2) EQ's
3) Dynamic EQ
4) Crossover
5) Limiter
6) Polarity/Phase
7) Short/Long Delays

Now for most DJ's, you would not need most of these features but some of these are quite useful.

...........if you already use an EQ and also have some kind of compressor or even more outboard equipment, then wny not get a LMS.

It has more features and also takes up less space and also less weight, hence the reason why I bought It. :)

Top bit of kit, hours of fun if your that way inclined! :approve:

Tom
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Top bit of kit, hours of fun if your that way inclined! :approve:

Spent 4 hours yesterday playing around with it. :o:D

Just need to get a RS-232 cable so I can connect it to the pc. I didnt even look at the manual to work it out. Really easy to work with. :)

A1DL
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Tom, this post may be of interest on the 2496

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21794

Tony Scott
04-01-2009, 04:51 PM

I saw this thread last week, got to say my 2 have been trouble free! :)

Tom
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM

I have seen this also. I'm a regular viewer and poster on that forum.

I am happy to say that mine is trouble free. :)