PDA

View Full Version : New CD Players

OllieJames
24-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey Guys!

As i've said before, i'm looking to buy a back-up playout system. I'm not a digital DJ, as i'd prefer to stick with CDs. My current CD players are the KAM KCD1000s, and they've been doing the job, however at one gig, one side of the players failed, and i only had like 10 secs to fix it. Since then, i've wanted a back-up system.

Instead of buying a cheap back-up, i'm considering buying new players, and using my current ones as back-up. Although, i'm also considering just buying cheap back-ups.

Any ideas on a good set or players to replace my KAMs? I can't spend too much, as i don't have the money! :(

I was thinking between £200 - £350?

I won't require a mixer as i already have one, and if that fails, i've got my mackie desk. I also won't require a flightcase, providing the draws are 2U and the head unit is 2U.

Alternatively, could you recommend a cheaper back-up?

A1DL
24-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Instead of buying a cheap back-up, i'm considering buying new players, and using my current ones as back-up. Although, i'm also considering just buying cheap back-ups.

I was thinking between £200 - £350?

Ollie

£350 is a reasonable budget for a twin CD player, but why not wait until you have another £80 and go for the Denon DN-D4500?

If you haven't used Denon before, you will find the difference is amazing and in the long run will save you more money, as you won't be replacing your player again in a couple of years.

Additionally, this would give you the flexibility of adding an HD2500 at a later date and keeping the 4500 drawers to play CDs

Tony

OllieJames
24-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Ollie

£350 is a reasonable budget for a twin CD player, but why not wait until you have another £80 and go for the Denon DN-D4500?

If you haven't used Denon before, you will find the difference is amazing and in the long run will save you more money, as you won't be replacing your player again in a couple of years.

Additionally, this would give you the flexibility of adding an HD2500 at a later date and keeping the 4500 drawers to play CDs

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for your reply!

Funnily enough, i've just been looking at the Denon DN-D4500 on PhaseOne. Looks like a nice unit! £440 on DV247. I've never used Denon before, so would be interested in trying some of their gear out. I'd just want to make sure i've bought a unit that will last for a long time.

Only issue with waiting until i have £440 is that i don't currently have a back-up playout system. However, £440 shouldn't be too hard to reach, as i work in a recording studio, so will have some cash coming in! :D

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Ollie, if you can, id go for the denon as alot of clubs/pubs use them and if you plan (or have even a vague idea) to have a residency in the future your already one step ahead with the experience on the equipment.

PS, you can have great fun with the seamless loop and loop adjust if you want to experiment :)

OllieJames
24-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Steve :)

I'm VERY tempted with the denon, just pretty expensive, and i don't have a back-up atm! :(

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Do you do much with the pitch bend/mixing. If not (for the short term), why not go for a couple of portable cd players with mains adapters and a couple of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370123941976&cguid=e529d0f611d0a0aad2f6dac6fe594dfb.

Not too professional in some folks eyes, but it will get you out of a jam and would take up no space. (you could also only use the one, if you only lost one side in your rackmount). Would also be no more than 20 quid.

OllieJames
24-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Do you do much with the pitch bend/mixing. If not (for the short term), why not go for a couple of portable cd players with mains adapters and a couple of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370123941976&cguid=e529d0f611d0a0aad2f6dac6fe594dfb.

Not too professional in some folks eyes, but it will get you out of a jam and would take up no space. (you could also only use the one, if you only lost one side in your rackmount). Would also be no more than 20 quid.

No, i do 'no' mixing as such. I want to get into this, and i think the Denon would be good for that. I'll have a look for some personal/portable CD players!

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2008, 04:01 PM
No, i do 'no' mixing as such. I want to get into this, and i think the Denon would be good for that. I'll have a look for some personal/portable CD players!

The denon will be invaluable then. Its got a fairly accurate bpm counter which helps loads when learing on cd players.

OllieJames
24-12-2008, 04:12 PM
The denon will be invaluable then. Its got a fairly accurate bpm counter which helps loads when learing on cd players.

Awesome :)

I assume you use Denon yourself?

Tom
24-12-2008, 04:15 PM
If you can go for then do it.

I have had various brands of equipment over the years and Denon has been the best by far for quality and performance.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Only in clubs, but i do like them. Ive got pioneer cdj1000s and a cmx3000. Also have a Numark CDN22:eek: as a spare set.

OllieJames
24-12-2008, 04:22 PM
If you can go for then do it.

I have had various brands of equipment over the years and Denon has been the best by far for quality and performance.

Hey Tom :)

Thanks for your reply :) I'm really tempted with the Denon now! Just need £440! :(

OllieJames
25-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Just spoken to the parents, and my plan is to buy the denons in the new year, probably around febuary time :) However, i'm still yet to try them out.

Grahame Case
25-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Just spoken to the parents, and my plan is to buy the denons in the new year, probably around febuary time :) However, i'm still yet to try them out.

you won't be disappointed.

i swear by DENON equipment.

Twinspin
25-12-2008, 03:44 PM
If you have that kind of money. I know is a slight bit more. But Denon get my vote everytime. They are the best and you will see for yourself how good they are when you get one.

The denon gear is extremely reliable and well built and for £440 you wont ever go far wrong. Ive got the previous model the DN-D4000 and its been a great player after five years its still works extremely well. Used alongside a HD2500 for the last few months.

Pricewise. Wether you can afford it or not. I couldnt at the time its been the best money ive ever spent on a player and its worth every penny.

I swear by Denon myself. I think theyre fantastic.

OllieJames
25-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Okay :)

I'll see what money is like in the new year, and go from there! Thanks for all your feedback :)

Cj_The_Dj
25-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I used to have a twin denon cd player think it was the mk ll 2000f or sumert.

I got it second hand for £150.00 with kam mixer and flight case of a good mate of mine.

i got a good couple of years out of it. im lookin for another one for backup.

OllieJames
26-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Denon sounds like a very good make from all the feedback i've heard! I'm in contact with another forum member at the minute, so money permiting i may have some new players in the new year :)

Creature
27-12-2008, 11:08 AM
i now use denon - brought 2 pairs of ebay for 50.00 each. 1 pair just had a service (£35.00) the other had new lasers fitted (£98.00) and wouldnt change them for anything else now