PDA

View Full Version : Anti shock on the blink

theoloyla
28-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Over the last few weeks I have had few niggles with skippinng. The KAM players I use have been brilliant for the last few years but the left hand player now seems to have become susceptable to shocks from floor bounce etc. Is it worth having it looked at/serviced and if so by whom or should I just replace it?

Bouncy Dancefloor
28-12-2008, 03:10 PM
perhaps have it fixed with a view to keeping it as a backup?

BeerFunk
28-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I would imagine that the repair costs would be a considerable amount relative to the cost of a new unit, that's what I've found in the past with CD players.

theoloyla
28-12-2008, 04:04 PM
That is what I feared and as it is one of those intermittent type faults it is why I asked the question. I dont really know and understand the technology that stops disco players skipping.

wensleydale
28-12-2008, 04:09 PM
buy a new one- you can get kam double cds from htfr for £100 now.

CRAZY K
28-12-2008, 04:53 PM
That is what I feared and as it is one of those intermittent type faults it is why I asked the question. I dont really know and understand the technology that stops disco players skipping.

I guess a quick phone call to your nearest DJ repair shop tomorrow ( if open)
will give you an idea of cost---even if not what you want to hear.

Your only consideration might be---is this the time to go digital ?

CRAZY K

Excalibur
28-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I guess a quick phone call to your nearest DJ repair shop tomorrow ( if open)
will give you an idea of cost---even if not what you want to hear.

Your only consideration might be---is this the time to go digital ?

CRAZY K

IMHO It's always the time to go digital. ;)

Bouncy Dancefloor
28-12-2008, 08:24 PM
id be quite hesitant before using a £100 kam twin cd as my main playback device, stump up for something decent

wensleydale
28-12-2008, 09:50 PM
id be quite hesitant before using a £100 kam twin cd as my main playback device, stump up for something decent

You get what you pay for- this is £100 and therefore not going to be as good as a denon, however I dont think it will be much worse than any other KAM cd player that Theo is using at the moment.

it costs £100- therefore you could go through 4 in for the same cost as a denon- thinking about it that way puts it into perspective.....

BeerFunk
28-12-2008, 10:39 PM
it costs £100- therefore you could go through 4 in for the same cost as a denon- thinking about it that way puts it into perspective.....True, but then you may also have embarrassing and unprofessional skips, or delays while you're wating for the CD to be picked up by the laser.

Excalibur
29-12-2008, 12:41 AM
You get what you pay for- this is £100 and therefore not going to be as good as a denon, however I dont think it will be much worse than any other KAM cd player that Theo is using at the moment.

it costs £100- therefore you could go through 4 in for the same cost as a denon- thinking about it that way puts it into perspective.....

£200 for a Cortex, you can forget skipping. :D You can also forget carrying thousands of CD's into a gig. :p :D :D :D

wensleydale
29-12-2008, 08:05 AM
True, but then you may also have embarrassing and unprofessional skips, or delays while you're wating for the CD to be picked up by the laser.

but theo is using a kam cd player at the moment so surely replacing with another kam cd player is not an unreasonable suggestion?

Bouncy Dancefloor
29-12-2008, 08:35 AM

The Denon will load faster, have instant start, be anti skip and play MP3's

aside from those basic features, should the Kam fail on you (which in your logic, it will, but its ok because it was cheap) then you may not get paid that night (potentially £200+) not to mention damage to reputation, lawsuits and the rest. Id rather buy something that will apparently last 4 times as long???

wensleydale
29-12-2008, 08:36 AM
The Denon will load faster, have instant start, be anti skip and play MP3's

aside from those basic features, should the Kam fail on you (which in your logic, it will, but its ok because it was cheap) then you may not get paid that night (potentially £200+) not to mention damage to reputation, lawsuits and the rest. Id rather buy something that will apparently last 4 times as long???

but
a) its not for me.
b) theo has a kam at the moment
c) how could you get a lawsuit from a cd player?

theo asked whether he should pay for a repair to his existing cd player- that was the start of the thread- i said no.

Bouncy Dancefloor
29-12-2008, 08:42 AM
when your CD player fails at 9pm at a Wedding party, what do you think the upset bride will do?

What about the Hotel at the start of a 21 date XMAS residency will do when your CD player fails on the first night, ruins the party and they have to refund all the guests?

Those sort of lawsuits...

Corabar Steve
29-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Don't talk rubbish! Even the most distraught bride wouldn't sue because her first dance skipped (even if they did, it would be laughed out of court)

I think you'll find that the professional DJs on here (now correct me if I'm wrong, but that would include Theo) carry back up equipment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-12-2008, 09:10 AM
When I used CD decks, I used Kam for the longest amount of time. When I bought them, Denon were over a thousand quid and also having quite a few reliability problems, so I paid £500 and went for the Kam KCD850 which lasted me over 10 years, didn't have anti-skip and never missed a beat.

ppentertainments
29-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Don't talk rubbish! Even the most distraught bride wouldn't sue because her first dance skipped (even if they did, it would be laughed out of court)

I think you'll find that the professional DJs on here (now correct me if I'm wrong, but that would include Theo) carry back up equipment.

Exactly. I think talking lawsuits etc is a bit over the top. I am sure Theo with his great experience will have some form of backup to get him through the night.

Everyone has there own personal preference. As far as repairs go, I would say for the price a new system would be better. Don't know if it is just me, but I find in using repaired equipment a) I loose confidence in it an b) I seem to forever have problems afterwards.

On a similar note my Numark CD-Mix (usually just used as backup) started playing up the other night. The discs won't read all the time in tray 2. This is the third Numark Cd players I have had done this. Guess will change brand next time.

wensleydale
29-12-2008, 09:57 AM
when your CD player fails at 9pm at a Wedding party, what do you think the upset bride will do?

What about the Hotel at the start of a 21 date XMAS residency will do when your CD player fails on the first night, ruins the party and they have to refund all the guests?

Those sort of lawsuits...

you use back a back up.

i think a lawsuit because of a jumping cd would be pretty unlikely.
and farcical.

rob1963
29-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Over the last few weeks I have had few niggles with skippinng. The KAM players I use have been brilliant for the last few years but the left hand player now seems to have become susceptable to shocks from floor bounce etc. Is it worth having it looked at/serviced and if so by whom or should I just replace it?

Hi Theo,

If you've had the unit for a few years, I'd suggest that you just buy a replacement & keep the current one for back up.

I used KAM anti-shock dual players for quite while, and rarely got more than a couple of years use from them before encountering problems, at which point I just replaced them.

theoloyla
29-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the advice and yes of course I have back up as Steve pointed out. Maybe it IS the time to go digital. I'll let you know what I decide. In the short term I have a Numark in reserve which I shall put into the main console. I have used the KAM for several years now and up until a couple of weeks ago found it to be ultra reliable.

djdarren
29-12-2008, 12:55 PM
lots of skipping is normally caused by wear and tear on the laser as they build up a cataract over time, we replace these for £25... so if it is the cause replacing both sides would only be £50 and turn around is quite quick as we keep these parts in stock.

Bouncy Dancefloor
30-12-2008, 01:46 PM

so if working with a Wedding Planner (which i regularly do), you cant see any repercussions from the first dance skipping? If these people are spending 20k+ on a wedding and the CD's jumps or freezes during the first dance, what do you think will happen? More and more brides dont even want a DJ, but they want their first dance, very often the photographer and cameraman will stay on until the first dance is complete, imagine having this key moment ruined by a DJ using unreliable equipment (but its ok as it cost 1/4 the amount of a denon)

Kam have been on a rollercoaster of reliability over the years, they started off doing cheap soddy equipment that was horrificly unreliable, then they sorted it out and became good value. Recently, its all gone a bit unreliable again, local shop has a very high return rate (normally within 6 months of purchase) with the latest Kam Models, thats if it was assembled properly to start with (regular occurance for internal wires to not be connected!)

wensleydale
30-12-2008, 01:48 PM
so if working with a Wedding Planner (which i regularly do), you cant see any repercussions from the first dance skipping? If these people are spending 20k+ on a wedding and the CD's jumps or freezes during the first dance, what do you think will happen? More and more brides dont even want a DJ, but they want their first dance, very often the photographer and cameraman will stay on until the first dance is complete, imagine having this key moment ruined by a DJ using unreliable equipment (but its ok as it cost 1/4 the amount of a denon)

Kam have been on a rollercoaster of reliability over the years, they started off doing cheap soddy equipment that was horrificly unreliable, then they sorted it out and became good value. Recently, its all gone a bit unreliable again, local shop has a very high return rate (normally within 6 months of purchase) with the latest Kam Models, thats if it was assembled properly to start with (regular occurance for internal wires to not be connected!)
still think its not going to happen

Bouncy Dancefloor
30-12-2008, 01:49 PM
thats peace of mind for you

just like i have 10mill PLI, yet i doubt an accident is going to happen

Corabar Steve
31-12-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm not even going to dignify that with a reply.

OllieJames
31-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm not even going to dignify that with a reply.

:lol:

I was in a similar situation a while ago, where my 'fader start' screwed up both CD players in my KAM KCD1000, so they kept looping for some reason.... anyway, after an hour of trying to figure out what was wrong, we fixed it just before the gig started.

Because of this experience, i'm going to invest in a CD new player, which is more than likely to be the Denon DN-D4500 as a new one, and use my KAM as a backup. As, currently, i don't have a backup.

rob1963
31-12-2008, 10:45 AM
currently, i don't have a backup.

:jawdrop: