PDA

View Full Version : Audacity

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Does anyone use this software to archive vinyl?

I am starting to record my vinyl collection using a USB turntable and have had a quick play around with settings, but so far am getting a bit of a distorted recording.

Can anyone list the settings they use or does anyone have any tips or tricks for me?

Many thanks.

discomobiledj
29-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I've used this a few times, it's very difficult to get the perfect blend.

I'm pretty sure you can use Windows Media Player :sofa: to rip the songs.

OllieJames
29-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I've used this a few times, it's very difficult to get the perfect blend.

I'm pretty sure you can use Windows Media Player :sofa: to rip the songs.

Off vinyl? :confused:

Daz, can you change the input gain from the turntable into the computer?

djdarren
29-12-2008, 11:22 AM
fitting a better cart and styli can also be a big help as most usb turntables come with a very basic setup.

as olliejames has also said try changing the input volume in you sound settings as you may be clipping (you will be able to tell in audacity as the blue wave guide will be hitting the top and bottom)

Shakermaker Promotions
29-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I use Audacity now and then. There are loads of ways you can muck around with the quality. I ended up doing it with the Corduroy tracks I was looking for as my last resort was to go and transfer it from the vinyl. I cleaned it up using the effects (Graphic EQ etc).

ppentertainments
29-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Sorry can't help, but will watch this thread with interest. Have been trying for a couple of years to put vinyl to mp3 but so far unsuccessful.

Good Luck.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I've recorded a few bits and pieces successfully, but it needs fine tuning and I thought there may be someone who has successful settings already.

There isn't a record level on the turntable, but I have been tweaking the soundcard settings and record gain etc.

Vectis
29-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I did a few thousand discs a couple of years ago (took a while :) ) and I just connected a quality standard turntable to the phono input of a mixer, then took a line level output direct to the Line In of an external soundcard.

I used Polderbits recording software - it's very accurate at breaking up albums into individual tracks, and you can quickly and easily drag & drop the start & end points before hitting 'commit' to burn off a load of mp3s. Very very good for the sub-£20 asking price. If you're quick you can get the whole lot done on the 14-day eval version :p

If it wasn't for the crackles and pops you'd struggle to tell the difference between vinyl and CD rips. Biggest PITA is the need to key in all the titles (yawn) for the tags.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I Biggest PITA is the need to key in all the titles (yawn) for the tags.

The basic software that comes with the turntable now uses CDDB which is quite impressive for vinyl.

cosmicdiscos
29-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I Use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab Deluxe

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't wish to know what everyone uses really.

Audacity tips and tricks I was after.

Excalibur
29-12-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't wish to know what everyone uses really.

Audacity tips and tricks I was after.

Ah. Then I won't tell you of my own experiences in this matter, as though I used Audacity, I have no tips or tricks to pass on. :o :(