PDA

View Full Version : KAM KWM1940 Wireless Mic Repair?

welby
01-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi,

does anyone have a service manual for the KAM KWM1940 wireless mic system.

I have a mic that dies after switching it on. Tried everything (new batteries) etc etc...so I have come to the conclusion that the Mic is at fault and not the base unit.

Trust it to fail on New Years Eve of all times, but luckily I scraped by with just the one mic. The KWM1940 comes with two. But when you're doing karaoke it is a pain.

I also have two wired mics but they for some reason didin't work on the night with the KAM KKA50 mic and Music mixer system I have. You know what it's like on the night panic sets in so I must sit myself down and do a run though with the mic system.

Anyway enough of my troubles, I hope you all had a great New Year's Eve and can I take this opportunity to thank you all for your comments in 2008 and may I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Thank you.

Bouncy Dancefloor
02-01-2009, 03:02 AM
not worth repairing unfortunately :(

glad you got through it OK though

welby
02-01-2009, 09:31 AM
not worth repairing unfortunately :(

glad you got through it OK though

Hi Bouncy thanks for the comments - I have looked at the mic and I reckon I could repair it myself if I could figure out how to get the thing apart. I have worked out that the top mic shield screws off and then you can carefully remove the mic insert, but that's as far as I can get. I can see the circuit board deep in there :bang:

I could get a replacement mic for £29 but my confidence on Kam stuff is not good at the moment. So any reccomendations for UHF wireless mic systems most welcome.

I sorted out the wired mics - low impedance so they need to be turned up full whack on the mixer! duh! It's a pain in the :Censored: when your main mixer only has one mic input and you have to rely on external mixers for extra mics!

EDIT - sussecsefully removed the circuit board - hmmm looks like a victim of beer spillage! - will let you know...lol

EDIT 2 - yup beer spillage right off! - Lesson learnt ! give the punters a cheap £5 WIRED MIC and keep the wireless all to myself!

Bouncy Dancefloor
02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
the Kam twin radio mics are surprisingly reliable, local shop has sold loads and had just one back

unless you wanted to stump up for a good brand, id stick with what you have (especially as you have a backup mic and receiver for it too!)

Totally Plucked
02-01-2009, 06:13 PM
what is the sound quality like on these Kam mics ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-01-2009, 06:22 PM
what is the sound quality like on these Kam mics ?

Good for the price, but no where near an SM58 or even a PG58.

Jiggles
02-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I have had lots of good comments from people who have used my Kam mics. They all said that they felt good in the had and sound good. Cant complain.

welby
06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi - thank you all for the comments.

I have now manged to repair the mic.

Perseverence paid off!!! I admit I ordered a spare and that turned up next day (just in case). So now I have three mics, but hey the satisfaction of repairing something bought a cheesy smile to my face! :)

Suprisingly the circuit boards are well made. All that was wrong was a resistor was failing and going open circuit. Managed to find one in my vast array of bits. You know the ones that the misses keeps trying to get you to chuck away! lol

Just one note - the service dept at kam couldn't even bother to answer my email and to think of the pounds I've spent on KAM kit over the years! KAM PULL YA FINGER OUT! :bang:

If anyone wants to know how these things come to bits without breaking anything, just ask.

Many thanks

Jiggles
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
If anyone wants to know how these things come to bits without breaking anything, just ask.

Many thanks

Handy to know! Seeing as i have the same ones as you :D

jamesh
06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
where did you order the spares from? Got 2 receivers here but only 1 mic left working after lots of karaoke misuse over the year... would be nice to get another couple back in as the receivers work perfectly well and there's no point buying yet another complete set...

pagan_flame
06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Interesting to note! I have KAM 1930 system - one mic always needed to be at full gain on the receiver unit, and has now died in similar circumstance to Post #1.

So, I'm with James --- how / where did you manage to order a replacement?

Excalibur
06-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Just one note - the service dept at kam couldn't even bother to answer my email and to think of the pounds I've spent on KAM kit over the years! KAM PULL YA FINGER OUT! :bang:

My experience exactly. :bang:

welby
07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Interesting to note! I have KAM 1930 system - one mic always needed to be at full gain on the receiver unit, and has now died in similar circumstance to Post #1.

So, I'm with James --- how / where did you manage to order a replacement?

I deal with a shop on fleabay call discotraderuk £29 +£3.40 pp. I have a few things from this outfit and they are very polite and quick to respond and a heck of a lot cheaper than other suppliers.

Only person that I could find selling these. All the retail outlets said "would have to check with Kam to see if it is a spare" but never cam back to me - even my local dj outlet which was dissapointing.

I think my new year's resolution was "not to put up with crap service" and look elsewhere! :D and maybe quote Woolworths as an example of how not to run a business.

Hope this helps?

Mark

Corabar Steve
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM

I'm not surprised. When my kit got nicked only the PSU for a kam radio mic was taken from the van (they missed the mics & receiver) continual phone calls & emails to KAM resulted in nothing. 1 call to Clive at CRS & I had a new PSU within a week.

RnGary
09-01-2009, 12:54 PM
We've been on a 'break' from gigging for a few months but before we did all our kit worked fine - except our Kam Wireless mics. The sound quality was not great ever and one died on us during our second to last gig. Fortunately it didn't matter too much as we don't do Karaoke or similar but it takes away the back up.

We recently ran all the gear up to check it out prior to PAT testing and all is OK but the mic is still dead.

Not impressed with these Kam radio mics - anyone got any suggestions of reasonably priced quality alternatives? As an alternative, we could go back to long cabled mics, but when you get speeches etc it just doesn't look as slick as using a radio mic (but at least we know the voice quality will be good and reliable).

maybe we'll just keep the Kams for raffles.....where sometimes intermittent silence would be a blessing !

Any alternatives, thoughts gratefully received.

jamesh
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I deal with a shop on fleabay call discotraderuk £29 +£3.40 pp. I have a few things from this outfit and they are very polite and quick to respond and a heck of a lot cheaper than other suppliers.

Only person that I could find selling these. All the retail outlets said "would have to check with Kam to see if it is a spare" but never cam back to me - even my local dj outlet which was dissapointing.

I think my new year's resolution was "not to put up with crap service" and look elsewhere! :D and maybe quote Woolworths as an example of how not to run a business.

Hope this helps?

Mark

Perfecto!!!!!

Replacements arrived this morning. Cant Fault Disco Traders service at all! The only downside is i don't think he has anymore in stock as couldn't get all i need! But on the plus side i have enough to get by with the karaoke gigs coming up so i'm happy again.

They might be cheap and might not be the best mics in the world BUT for something that's going to be thrown around, dropped, spat in to and all sorts while in use in the karaoke scene you can't really grumble. I'd rather spend £30 every now and then and get a replacement than use £300 - £400 sennheisers that's for sure.

Jiggles
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
My Kams are really good. So I don't see how people find the quality crap? I have used shure mics and wasent too impressed by them.

Steve the DJ
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
My Kams are really good. So I don't see how people find the quality crap? I have used shure mics and wasent too impressed by them.

I have both a set of the KAMs and a Shure radio mic and the difference in quality and performance is like night and day, in the Shure's favour.

But...

The KAMs have their place and I use them for speeches, mainly because I don't really care what people do to them.

ppentertainments
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I deal with a shop on fleabay call discotraderuk £29 +£3.40 pp.
have tried to find the above shop but can't find it - anyone got a link ??

welby
09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Goto ebay>advanced search>scroll down to sellers> tick box Only show items from: > include and enter discotraders-uk

This should bring up all the goodies. - needs a hypen in the name - discotraders-uk - apologies!!!

RnGary
09-01-2009, 09:10 PM

We really looked after our Kams (as we do with all our kit) but they consistently played up - sometimes fine, sometimes very patchy and then one just died after a couple of years. Kinda puts you off.

I used to DJ at Ceroc and the dance instructor used a radio mic on her head which was perfect but I can't remember the make. Our Kams never came close. Perhaps they were a 'friday' batch.

Love to have thoughts from others as we're going to buy new ones - use cabled mics or radio? Which makes?

Thanks