PDA

View Full Version : Lighting set-up

Dynamic Entertainment
02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi all, I'm thinking about re-arranging my packages, lighting wise, and would like your opinions as to which lighting you thing would work best.

I have Bronze, Silver and Gold choices and my lighting is as follows (I don't particulary want to purchase more just yet either):

4 x Acme Puma
4 x Acme Dynamo
4 x Acme MiracLED
1 x Single Beam Green Laser
1 x Four Beam (2 Red, 2 Green) Laser

The Bronze option has me totally stumped, but the stand is the 4 foot, single bar, Ultimax stand, but I'm getting a modified bar so there is no overhanging section at each end.

Im thinking for my Silver option (on the Ultimax stand) having Puma-Dynamo-MiracLED-Dynamo-Puma.

For Gold (on a 3 metre goalpost stand), Puma-Dynamo-Puma-Dynamo-MiracLED-MiracLED-Dynamo-Puma-Dynamo-Puma.

Im thinking have the Lasers as an optional replacement centrepiece, for the likes of 18th, 21st, etc.

What are your thoughts/ideas on this?

Many thanks

Steve

OllieJames
02-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Steve :)

I think the plans you have are good so far.

How about having a puma - miracled - puma for the bronze package? Or perhaps puma - dynamo - miracled - dynamo - puma for the bronze package, then adding the other 2 dynamos for the silver package and keep the gold as you have said?

I think adding the lasers for younger audiences is a very good idea :)

Happy New Year :)

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Cheers Ollie. :beer1:

Bouncy Dancefloor
03-01-2009, 06:12 PM
2 pumas and a miracled would be fine for the bronze package, itll look good from the customers point of view but if they wanted to have more lights they have the option!

Tony Scott
03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Steve, Love the website....clean and uncluttered. The only thing I couldn't find were any pictures of your kit.
If I were choosing a package I would want to see actual pictures not just graphic images.....I really like the graphics by the way! :)

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Peter, I reckon i will go with the 2 puma and a miracled. Cheers.

Hi Tony, im in the process of getting pictures sorted. Im useless with a camera (can't even take a picture straight) so ive had to wait until i can get a venue to lend me their hall (now sorted) and get a professional photopgraper involved. Im in the process of redoing the graphics and have simple line ones (like the ones currently on the site) and these ones? Which do you (everyone :) ) prefer?

OllieJames
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I think the simple line ones look less 'cheesy' if you see what i mean :)

Obviously, pictures would be ideal. I'm in a similar situation to you in regards to pictures, but should be getting mine done this month!

Tony Scott
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah I agree the ones you have on the site are more professional looking. :)

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I kind of agree, what do you think then? Will be vastly scaled down on the site.

Grahame Case
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I kind of agree, what do you think then? Will be vastly scaled down on the site.

works for me..

03-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Just a quick question that's slightly off topic, do the different packages that i see offered on various websites work?

i.e bronze, silver, gold, platinum packages.

Not a criticism in anyway, i'm just curious to know in the eyes of a customer, do they book a disco or do they specifically ask for a specific package, or do you manage to upsell when they contact you for a bigger package.

The reason why i ask is that i generally charge a standard fee for the night, regardless of size of audience, size of venue, running timings etc (obviously this has a limit to what i can cover with my 'standard' rig (or should i say the standard amount of gear that's included in my trailer).

Any comments most welcome.

I thank you...

Vectis
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Just a quick question that's slightly off topic, do the different packages that i see offered on various websites work?

i.e bronze, silver, gold, platinum packages.

Works for me, but I have a slightly different "Take" on this.

I offer 3 packages for adult gigs (plus a seperate one for teens/kids but that's out of scope for this discussion) - but my standard offering is the middle one.

So if a new customer comes along who isn't familiar with what we do, then we start by talking about the 'Premier' option. If it transpires that it's too fancy for their needs (or budget :p ) we have the 'Junior' option available instead, with a lower-spec sound system (ie Tops only) and fewer lights / smaller deckstand if the venue needs it etc. But we also have 'Platinum' which is an upsell from Premier for those 'wanting something a little more special'.

Platinum is more of a services-oriented package; technically it's the same gear as Premier but includes goodies such as early setup, video recording, more customer choice over the lighting used, face-to-face meeting etc. etc.

About half of my adult gigs go out as Platinum, the majority being weddings or corporate. The others are split 50/50 between Premier and Junior.

I also tell customers upfront that nothing's cast in stone and we can chop and change to their exact requirements.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I dont just take a booking for a disco, so to speak. I explain that i have different packages to suit different venues, functions etc (weddings usually involve a meeting at the venue to go through the best options). Ive got to put on the website that the packages are able to be modified (just jogged my memory), so anyway we work out what sound system the client wants (i,e plenty of bass, nice rounded sound etc (you can pretty much guarantee that the 18ths want the biggest sound system possible and the 60ths want a more rounded, lower, sound)) then look at the size of the venue, and tailor the lighting to match so that its not blinding everyone, or too little lighting either.

It works quite well for me and ive a clear pricing structure which the client gets aswell then they make their choice. Ive had clients on a tight budget still book with a smaller system because they want me (not being big headed or anything) and thought the smaller system was just as good for their needs. It just gives more flexibility in a competative market, IMO.

Should have just waited and said....like Vectis :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
We don't do packages.

We provide a bespoke service which is tailorable, so I really can't see the point of set packages.

Supply what the client wants not what you think they want.

If it's a bigger venue, and it requires a bigger show, that is what I will sell to the client. If they want white lighting, that is what they will get. If they want extra speakers for another room, then they can have that.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I agree Darren, but most clients ive dealt with dont have a clue what they want when they approach me other than "a disco", so the packages are a starting point for them to work from, then its tailored to their specific needs. Usually repeat custom phone as say they want such and such a sound system, with a, b, and c lighting as weve already been through the whole process before.