PDA

View Full Version : Email problem

Mark Wild
05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
ello lads,

I've been attaching my web based email account to outlook, I used the auto settings first and these didn't seem to work, so I did it manually with the info it gave me. Now when I send emails its fine but outlook doesn't seem to receive them so I have to use (web-based) Horde for receiving. When i run the test it says its fine and working, but its not. Am i missing something here? Its doing my head in :bang: , any clues? Thanks in advance. :D

discomobiledj
05-01-2009, 05:31 PM
which accounts are you having trouble with?

Marc J
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
As email settings are different for each host, then your hosting company should be able to help you with your problem. I think that would be here (http://help.justhost.com/questions/31/How+do+I+add+my+email+account+to+Outlook+Express+6 .0%3F).

Mark Wild
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
As email settings are different for each host, then your hosting company should be able to help you with your problem. I think that would be here (http://help.justhost.com/questions/31/How+do+I+add+my+email+account+to+Outlook+Express+6 .0%3F).

Hi Marc,

I use office outlook 2007 does that make a difference?
I deleted my account settings and started from scratch again, following the instructions you found on justhost. When I run Test Account Settings its coming back successful bothways but still I'm not receiving. Weird. I'll hit a techy up, thanks mate.

discomobiledj
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Have you actually got any emails waiting to come though? Remember if they are marked as "read" they won't come through anyway.

Mark Wild
05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Have you actually got any emails waiting to come though? Remember if they are marked as "read" they won't come through anyway.

Nah mate, I can checked received with web based email but I want to use outlook and its not doing it, just sending.

discomobiledj
05-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Outlook won't bring in emails if they are marked as read in the webmail.

In some webmail you have to tell it to allow emails to go through. Sky/googlemail is one of these.

Mark Wild
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Outlook is not even picking up the test emails. When I do "Test Account Settings" is says "All tests completed" successfully. They're in my webmail but don't appear in outlook 2007.

Marc J
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Email read in Horde remains on the server and should be delivered to Outlook.

The settings for Outlook 2007 will be the same as for Outlook Express 6.

If the account testing in Outlook works, there shouldn't be a problem.

I know it sounds clichéd but I had a client with a similar problem and a reboot fixed it :confused:

What error message is Outlook giving you?

Mark Wild
05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
o.k fixed, I confused SPA with out going server authentication. Thanks guys, sorry to be a pain.

CRAZY K
05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Outlook is not even picking up the test emails. When I do "Test Account Settings" is says "All tests completed" successfully. They're in my webmail but don't appear in outlook 2007.

I had the same problem--makes no sense does it?

Gave up and now only use Yahoo or Google boxes.

I know you can back up Outlook ( Marc J tells me) but after I lost a hard drive complete with Outlook I decided to rely on cyberspace, but I do back up Yahoo with Google as I couldnt access some Yahoo emails for a month or so:eek:

CRAZY K

Marc J
06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I personally think that [email protected] gives a more professional image than [email protected] or [email protected].

While you can forward your [email protected] email to a gmail or yahoo account for incoming mail, when replying to it the recipient will see that it's from yahoo / gmail.

Of course you could always sign up to something like Google Apps (http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html) which would allow you to use gmail for your domain email. Or there's IMAP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol) (which most hosts will support) which keeps all your emails (in and out) on the server, the downside to this is that it can eat up your allocated disk space on your hosting account.

Like Crazy said, you can backup your Outlook / Outlook Express fairly easily and this is what I do, I just had a look and the earliest email on my system is from 1999, with a total disk space used of 3.5Gb :)

Need4Sound
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I personally think that [email protected] gives a more professional image than [email protected] or [email protected].

While you can forward your [email protected] email to a gmail or yahoo account for incoming mail, when replying to it the recipient will see that it's from yahoo / gmail. You can set up Yahoo webmail to send as if from [email protected] then the recipient wouldn't know unless they look in the headers.

Like Crazy said, you can backup your Outlook / Outlook Express fairly easily and this is what I do, I just had a look and the earliest email on my system is from 1999, with a total disk space used of 3.5Gb :) We should have a contest, who has the oldest archived email, I can go back to 1997, :eek:

Marc J
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
We should have a contest, who has the oldest archived email, I can go back to 1997, :eek:

I might have an old hard drive in storage somewhere that might have emails going back further...but even if I did there's no incentive to look for it - unless there's a prize :D

CRAZY K
06-01-2009, 03:37 PM

While you can forward your [email protected] email to a gmail or yahoo account for incoming mail, when replying to it the recipient will see that it's from yahoo / gmail.

Of course you could always sign up to something like Google Apps (http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html) which would allow you to use gmail for your domain email. Or there's IMAP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol) (which most hosts will support) which keeps all your emails (in and out) on the server, the downside to this is that it can eat up your allocated disk space on your hosting account.

Like Crazy said, you can backup your Outlook / Outlook Express fairly easily and this is what I do, I just had a look and the earliest email on my system is from 1999, with a total disk space used of 3.5Gb :)

It hasnt phased any of our many Corporate customers over the years including Household names:thumbs_up:

Daz could name one:D :D :D

Or maybe maim one;)

CRAZY K

Marc J
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
It hasnt phased any of our many Corporate customers over the years including Household names:thumbs_up:

Fair enough, but unless you've got every gig you ever quoted for, or have an alternative reason from every non-client for not going with you, you can't say with 100% certainty that replying to their enquiry using a yahoo / gmail account hasn't cost you bookings, though ;)

It's just my personal opinion. I personally wouldn't deal with anyone working from a hotmail / yahoo / gmail address, the same as I wouldn't deal with anyone who only used a PO Box address, or only gave a moblie phone number...all for the same reason basically.