PDA

View Full Version : 2 Speakers off one channel in amp

djlowry
09-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Is it ok to run 2 speakers off one side off an amp? Have just discovered that one side of my 1200w amp is not working correctly. Need it for pub gig tommorrow night and reckon the sound should suffice from just one speaker but would prefer to have two so I can put one in another corner

Penfold42
09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Hello - please take a moment to read this

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

People will generally answer questions more if you introduce yourself...:)

Thanks.

Sapphire Disco
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Is it ok to run 2 speakers off one side off an amp? Have just discovered that one side of my 1200w amp is not working correctly. Need it for pub gig tommorrow night and reckon the sound should suffice from just one speaker but would prefer to have two so I can put one in another corner

It's possible ( depends on the amps capabilities) but I think you are taking a big risk , I think you should have at least one spare amp with you at all times.

Excalibur
09-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Hello - please take a moment to read this

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

People will generally answer questions more if you introduce yourself...:)

Thanks.
Indeed so. :thumbs_up: However, since there's a note of urgency:
Don't do it if the cabs are 4ohms. If they're 8ohms, then you've got a fighting chance. ;) Check that you've not accidentally flicked a switch on the back of the amp, there's a lot of it about lately. ;)

Edit: Agree with Paul ( Diamond Geezer) about the spare amp.

djlowry
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
They're both 8ohms with continous power of 300w and amp is 1200w. Have tried each speaker seperately on each channel with different speaker cables and as far as I'm aware one side is definitely under the weather! It is time to invest in a back-up amp but was just wondering if I would get away with it for one night as the venue isn't too big. In saying that if there's a high chance it'll blow I won't risk it

Jay Drabble
10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
:eek: What Sort of amp is it and what ohms are the speakers'?? Also it may just be trip switch or fuse which has put the amp into protection mode on one side of the amp' The frost and damp weather doesn't help amps and mixers from the cold into hot rooms condensation will cause amps to go into protection mode' Very important to keep the gear snug now'
Try a process of elimination check balance on mixer
try swapping speaker leads around
look to see if the amp is lit as it usually is when running as usual
check fuses have not blown and also any trip switches
make sure its not plugged in when checking fuses' And finally if u are uncertain take it to a pro to sort it out' If it's no good put it on flea bay but let us know the item number so we don't bid on it.

djlowry
10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Amplifier is 'Studiomaster' and speakers are 8ohms with 300w power

nigelwright7557
10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
You need to match your amp and speakers.

If your amp is 4ohms then you can attach one 4ohm speaker or two 8 ohm speakers in parallel.

If its 8 ohms then you can attach one 8ohm speaker or two 16ohm speakers in parallel.

You can work out what impedance your speakers are by:
Speakers in series = speaker1+speaker2+speaker3 etc

Speakers in parallel
1/impedance=1/speaker1+1/speaker2+1/speaker3