PDA

View Full Version : cortex and external hard drive

DJ INDIE
09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
hi all,

i got given a hard drive for xmas - to go with my cortex - a western digital 80gb.

i cant seem to get the cortex to recognise it - will this work with the cortex?

my PC recognises it, so i know the drive works.

am i doing something wrong or as i fear does the cortex not recognise these drives?

any help greatly appreciated. ta

Penfold42
09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
FAT32 or NTFS?

Jiggles
09-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Some external had Drives will need an external power supply if they are only powered by the USB. If they are under powered then they wont show. A computer will be able to give out the right power but a cortex cant most of the time.

DJ INDIE
09-01-2009, 10:10 PM
FAT32 or NTFS?

im not too sure - its the 80gb version of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Western-Digital-My-Passport-Essential-400GB-Black-New_W0QQitemZ270321824987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Com puting_HardDrives_RL?hash=item270321824987&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Some external had Drives will need an external power supply if they are only powered by the USB. If they are under powered then they wont show. A computer will be able to give out the right power but a cortex cant most of the time.

this hard drive only has the usb connection and nothing else - does this mean i cant use it? or is there some kind of adaptor to power it etc?

the drive does seem to rumble (ie i can here and feel the disc moving) when plugged into the cortex?

cheers

Jiggles
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Get your self a powered USB hub. That should solve it. Seeing that it doesn't have power in port.

Penfold42
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Ignore me - I think the Cortex understands both. :o

But I think Callum right....you need powered. :)

DJ INDIE
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
its a Western Digital Passport 80gb

the numbers on the back are;

WD P/N: WD1600ME-01 2009A

S/N WXEX08EP5129 R/N B7B

WDT-B7B (B)

Jiggles
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Read my last post. I didn't realise that you posted a link to one to Tone. :D

DJ INDIE
09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
cheers fellas, i'll give that a try - thanks for help.

Tom
09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
My brother uses one of these harddrive. it has been dropped, pushed off a tabl and it still works fine. :)

3rd'd on getting some kind of usb power. I use a Belkin USB powered hub. I used to use a cheaper one but that stoped working and had that changed.

DJ INDIE
09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
i'll nip out tomorrow and sort one out - looks the way forward.

then i'll bill my dad for the cost for not getting the right drive in the first place :) :)

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Get your self a powered USB hub. That should solve it. Seeing that it doesn't have power in port.

Ignore me - I think the Cortex understands both. :o

But I think Callum right....you need powered. :)

Steady on there mate. :eek: As far as I know, the Cortex needs everything to be self powered. If the power cable comes out of a drive, the Cortex keeps rebooting. :( That's with a powered hub, so I don't expect it to make any difference. I've got the 160Gb version, I'll try it in my Cortex tomorrow night, but I don't expect it to work.

I'd go for this( only because I can't find a 250) excellent drive, no problems with my Cortex. The One Touch is also fine. Just needs a lot of useless (for the cortex) software wiping.

Twinspin
10-01-2009, 02:42 AM
good little hardisks the western digital passports. I have a 160gb one. I use it for work related stuff.

ps. pc world are doing the white one at the minute on web exclusive for £53.00 (320gb one)

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
good little hardisks the western digital passports. I have a 160gb one. I use it for work related stuff.

ps. pc world are doing the white one at the minute on web exclusive for £53.00 (320gb one)

Very true. But probably naff all use for a Cortex. ;)

Creature
10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
go here http://www.cortex-pro.com/ they also now have there own forum.

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 08:16 AM
go here http://www.cortex-pro.com/ they also now have there own forum.
And an excellent place it is too. Sadly I've deactivated my account by mistake. :( :( :o :o

Creature
10-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Sadly I've deactivated my account by mistake

you silly person :):):)

ive just noticed a software update Excaliber - have you done yours or stayed with the one your cortex came with ???

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 09:58 AM
you silly person :):):)

ive just noticed a software update Excaliber - have you done yours or stayed with the one your cortex came with ???

2.5.0 (The latest) on one and an older version on the second unit, simply because I haven't updated for two reasons
1) Laziness
2) Comparison. So far, the update's looking favourite. ;)

I recently updated Cortex Manager.

Creature
10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
cheers for that ill download update and get it installed :):)

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
cheers for that ill download update and get it installed :):)

The biggest downside on the update is that it makes the switching off very fast. Beware the power button. ;) :D

Creature
10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
cheers for the warning

CRAZY K
10-01-2009, 01:47 PM
hi all,

i got given a hard drive for xmas - to go with my cortex - a western digital 80gb.

am i doing something wrong or as i fear does the cortex not recognise these drives?

A standard powered HD from Maplins or PC World should be fine.

Not had any problems with my two Cortex :thumbs_up:

CRAZY K

One Vision
10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
hi all,

Have you formatted it to fat32?
I don't have the cortex but the D2 and have the same HD but the 160gb version.
I would imagine the HD will already be formatted in NTFS and am not sure the cortex will run NTFS, so possibly wouldn't recognise the HD?

DJ INDIE
10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi all, Ive added a powered USB and the Cortex still doesnt recognise it - although the disc spins and all the lights come on etc.

I'll have a look at how to format to fat32 - ta

Jiggles
10-01-2009, 02:12 PM
The Cortex will read a NTFS but wont write to it. FAT32 will read and write to it.

DJ INDIE
10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
just had a quick look using the formatting a drive idiots help guide and this disc is already FAT32 - am I doing something really numb somewhere?

the cortex reads all my usb pen drives etc but not this passport hard disc

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Have you formatted it to fat32?
I don't have the cortex but the D2 and have the same HD but the 160gb version.
I would imagine the HD will already be formatted in NTFS and am not sure the cortex will run NTFS, so possibly wouldn't recognise the HD?
OH YES IT WILL. ;) It just won't write to it. (Or corrupt it hopefully. ;) )

Hi all, Ive added a powered USB and the Cortex still doesnt recognise it - although the disc spins and all the lights come on etc.

I'll have a look at how to format to fat32 - ta
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You didn't read my post, did you? :bang: :bang: :bang: I'm presuming you've already joined it to a PC to load MP3's ? FAT32 is not vital ( or preferable IMHO)
You need a powered HD, not just the hub.

The Cortex will read a NTFS but wont write to it. FAT32 will read and write to it.
True.

One Vision
10-01-2009, 02:47 PM

I know the difference in fat and NTFS I just wasn't aware if the cortex was compatible or not as I don't have one.
I cant see why the cortex would only run from a powered HD though, how many 2.5" HDs do you know that actually have a separate power supply that you plug in to the power?
A powered hub is providing the extra power so nothing is being powered from the main system.
Powered hard drives and hubs are more a recommendation as far as I'm aware and not necessarily a case of it wont pick the HD up without one.
Some laptop hard drives have a double usb cable, simply as one is for power and the other for data, but don't actually have a separate power supply.

ppentertainments
10-01-2009, 02:52 PM
If you want a cheap reliable HD that works with the cortex look at this :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225665
Have used one for past 4 months without any probs (other than plug not the best, has an adaptor fitted to it). Cheap as chips, powered and does the job.

One Vision
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Have used one for past 4 months without any probs (other than plug not the best, has an adaptor fitted to it). Cheap as chips, powered and does the job.

But big :p

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I know the difference in fat and NTFS I just wasn't aware if the cortex was compatible or not as I don't have one.
I cant see why the cortex would only run from a powered HD though, how many 2.5" HDs do you know that actually have a separate power supply that you plug in to the power?
A powered hub is providing the extra power so nothing is being powered from the main system.
Powered hard drives and hubs are more a recommendation as far as I'm aware and not necessarily a case of it wont pick the HD up without one.
Some laptop hard drives have a double usb cable, simply as one is for power and the other for data, but don't actually have a separate power supply.
So you've not read rule one in the Cortex manual? :confused: POWER EVERYTHING. :eek:

But big :p

Build a bigger box? ;) :D Certainly cheap, specs are fine.

One Vision
10-01-2009, 04:42 PM
So you've not read rule one in the Cortex manual? :confused: POWER EVERYTHING. :eek:

Build a bigger box? ;) :D Certainly cheap, specs are fine.

No don't have the machine so don't need the manual :p maybe I was just assuming too much when I assumed the cortex was on par with the D2 :boxer2: :run:

Excalibur
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
No don't have the machine so don't need the manual :p maybe I was just assuming too much when I assumed the cortex was on par with the D2 :boxer2: :run:

I'm assuming the D2 is similar, I see no reason why not.
However: You may remember old Cassandra here prognosticating doom and gloom if you tried to run an unpowered HD on a Cortex, powered hub or not. Yes, well, guess who tried it, just to satisfy his curiousity? :o And guess whose Cortex read his passport, and proceeded to play it? :confused: :o :o :o The important thing to point out is that some powered hubs suit the Cortex better than others. Perhaps my hub is better suited. Who knows? :confused: Anyway, DJ Indie's findings fit what I said. It's only me who disproves his own theory. :o Ah well.

DJ INDIE
11-01-2009, 11:03 AM
cheers Excalibur for the help yesterday - the long and short of it if i'm going to try then buy a different powered Hard drive - but i suppose its not all bad, theres some good deals on at the moment.

cheers to all for helping

Jiggles
11-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I use a Freecom tough drive. Its USB powered BUT if you register it on the Freecom website then contact them they will send you out a power supply. for free!

Excalibur
11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Not totally unconnected footnote:
Recently I got a car stereo with a USB input. In the FAQ's on the website, someone moaned that it wouldn't read some monstrous drive he'd connected. The company gave the limits it would work to. In a spirit of adventure, guess who plugged his passport drive into it, on the way home? ;) At first I thought it couldn't read it, but it did! :eek: On my way into deepest Lincolnshire today, to do missionary work, I was happily listening to Bad Company at a volume which was in excess of HSE guidelines. :D The order of play is Alphabetical Artist order. Black Lace, with Agadoo is the next up! :( :( :(

DJ INDIE
16-01-2009, 08:22 PM
jobs a good un!

just bought the mentioned Trekstor powered hard drive.

works a treat.

memo to all: if youre after an external hard drive for your cortex - make sure it has a plug on it!

cheers all.