PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Advice

sp-entertainment
10-01-2009, 11:40 PM
hi i'm thinking of getting some more kit its not really for my disco side hence i've put it in here

as a side to the disco i also do the lighting and sound for a band i know(paid of course)

i'm looking at a truss cheap and a sound desk but i'm not sure what to go for

i'am looking £100 and under for the truss with stands and around £200 for the desk

i've seen this on ebay but a little iffy as it has no brand name but the specs look good
ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIANGLE-LIGHTING-TRUSS-STAND-3-0M-DJ-DISCO-KARAOKE-PA_W0QQitemZ370142747924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_3?hash=item370142747924&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318)

how good is prolight/citronic stuff ive seem some which are 2 t-bars with a truss runniing between which could be handy but i dont want it to brake after the first month

now as for sound desk i'm not sure what make to go for i'm not really trusting of behringer at the minute what brands should i go for

thanks in advance

Pe7e
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
The big problem with the truss you are looking at is it isn't wind up, once the lights are hung on it, it will weigh a ton and be dificult to get up.

sp-entertainment
10-01-2009, 11:59 PM
that not going to be an issue as i'm planning on hanging the lights after the truss is up on most cases so i can got the lights positioned correctly for the stage plus it will be mostly led pars which weigh very little

A1DL
11-01-2009, 12:22 AM
around £200 for the desk

now as for sound desk i'm not sure what make to go for i'm not really trusting of behringer at the minute what brands should i go for

thanks in advance

how many channels do you need?

for £200 you could pick up a second hand Soundcraft Spirit Folio, or a second hand A&H Mixwizard for a little more.

sp-entertainment
11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
how many channels do you need?

for £200 you could pick up a second hand Soundcraft Spirit Folio, or a second hand A&H Mixwizard for a little more.

well at the minute 6 mono's and 3/4 stereo inputs but it needs to have 1 or 2 submasters and effects its a little over my aim but i was thinking about this linky (http://www.thomann.de/gb/phonic_am_642_d.htm) theres also a peavey pv14 which i know they make good speakers but not sure about mixers but i do still keep getting drawn towards the behringer kit as it looks impressive

A1DL
11-01-2009, 03:09 PM
well at the minute 6 mono's and 3/4 stereo inputs but it needs to have 1 or 2 submasters and effects its a little over my aim but i was thinking about this linky (http://www.thomann.de/gb/phonic_am_642_d.htm)

The Phonic is at a similar quality/price point to Behringer - firmly budget end.

theres also a peavey pv14 which i know they make good speakers

Really? Do they?? Which ones? I've had the misfortune of hearing various P****y cabinets on my travels and have always found them to sound horrid.

You'll be beter off with a secondhand Soundcraft (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Soundcraft-Spirit-Folio-Rackpack-16-4-mixer_W0QQitemZ150320181131QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2378 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), you can pick them up quite cheaply and they have the busses you need & plenty of inputs.

Hope this helps

Tony

mr rusty
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
till keep getting drawn towards the behringer kit as it looks impressive

It may not be the dogs, but it does the job and there's always the warranty if it breaks.

I've got/used a fair bit of berry gear and generally its all been OK. Virtually all kit in a similar price range comes out of China anyway, so there isn't half as much difference between one brand and another as people think. Personally, if there is a Berry mixer that has the features you want at a price you can afford, I wouldn't let the name put me off.

Tony Scott
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
If you go for a Behringer you could do worse than this: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BEHXX1832FX&seeimage=YES&img_name=XX1832FX

I've owned one for 3 years and use it for bands, karaoke etc. I've been very happy with it and had no problems. It sounds great, has loads of features and is cheap which was exactly what I wanted.

If you were going to use it 2 or 3 times a week all year round then I'd say go for something better, but for occasional use it's perfect IMHO. :)

sp-entertainment
12-01-2009, 11:16 PM
i was looking at that and the 2442 the only thing thats put me off them is i have the bcd2000 which is impossible to get the sound working right although i havnt tested it on a pc yet only a laptop

Tom
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I used to use the Behringer BDC3000. Not a bad piece of kit.

Never had a problem with getting the sound right, and I was using a laptop also.

Did you have the setting setup correctly setup on the laptop? If not then this can reduce the sound quality.

Cowlinn
22-01-2009, 04:34 PM
The big problem with the truss you are looking at is it isn't wind up, once the lights are hung on it, it will weigh a ton and be dificult to get up.

What i do is i raise it to the hight i want then hang your fixtures, alot easier and your going to have to get up a ladder to focus anyway :)