PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Lightscreen

UltraBeat Entertainment
12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Firstly... Yes i did say Lightscreen.

While doing a gig at the weekend during a busy cha cha slide routine one charming young lady put her foot through my defenseless lightscreen leaving me with a hole at the bottom of my screen.

I've had a good few years of good use out of the pair but now something has to be done about the damage.

Do i:

a) Replace the cracked screen (anyone know where i can get a replacement?)
b) Replace frontage (with what?)

All idea's and opinions welcome:)

discomobiledj
12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Have you claimed against the client or the person who broke it?

Corabar Steve
12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Perspex from B&Q or similar. I know somebody who actually put 2 sheets of semi opaque perspex across the front of his screens in place of the original stippled (toilet window style) perspex that it came with. It didn't affect the light output, but had the effect of acting like laminate / ply wood & therefore gave a toughened frontage that even resisted a direct kick.

ppentertainments
12-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Why is it as soon as someone mentions damages, one of the first comments nearly always contains the word 'claim'??

Using lights of any description on or near the dancefloor is a risk, Don't get me wrong I sometimes take that risk, and if an 'accident' occurs surely the wrong thing to do is go round trying to claim all the time.

If all dj's claimed for every accident etc that occured, a very bad reputation will be the main gain. This claim / compensation nature is getting ridiculous at times. Yes there are times of negligence where a claim may be justified but not every time.

Sorry rant over :D :D

Back to the OP, and I think the easiest replacement could be to buy a sheet of perspex from a hardware shop - unless they are more complex than that. - sorry, Steve posted as I was typing - have to be quicker.

Corabar Steve
12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
If you'd only given the advice & not had a rant you would've beaten me to it :sj:

(BTW I agree)

mldiscos
12-01-2009, 08:47 AM
what you wanna do fella is replace the front panel of your screen with makrolon not normal perspex you will find that the front panel will not break.

Corabar Steve
12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Even if it does cost a lot more :sj:

mldiscos
12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
you really do get more protection for your money and as i regulally work with makky it's quite easy for me to borrow from work

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
When I used screens a few decades ago, I used to use kick proof plastic in mine. Don't ask me for a link, but it is around.

UltraBeat Entertainment
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM

No.

If all dj's claimed for every accident etc that occured, a very bad reputation will be the main gain. This claim / compensation nature is getting ridiculous at times. Yes there are times of negligence where a claim may be justified but not every time.

Sorry rant over :D :D

I agree that's why I'm not following it up.

Perspex from B&Q or similar. I know somebody who actually put 2 sheets of semi opaque perspex across the front of his screens in place of the original stippled (toilet window style) perspex that it came with. It didn't affect the light output, but had the effect of acting like laminate / ply wood & therefore gave a toughened frontage that even resisted a direct kick.

Can't say I've ever seen it in my local B&Q but I'll have to go along and have a look. Can't be that expensive can it?

what you wanna do fella is replace the front panel of your screen with makrolon not normal perspex you will find that the front panel will not break.

Never heard of it and wouldn't have a clue where to get it from.

When I used screens a few decades ago, I used to use kick proof plastic in mine. Don't ask me for a link, but it is around.

Nothing wrong with the retro look:) Kick proof plastic sounds perfect. Hope they stock it at B&Q:D

Sapphire Disco
12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I recently changed my tall spot banks into tall thin light screens I got some prismatic acrylic from a local electrical wholesalers at £7 a sheet cut to perfect size, then got some golf ball coloured lamps, It works very well I'm pleased with the effect.

Jay Drabble
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Firstly... Yes i did say Lightscreen.

While doing a gig at the weekend during a busy cha cha slide routine one charming young lady put her foot through my defenseless lightscreen leaving me with a hole at the bottom of my screen.

I've had a good few years of good use out of the pair but now something has to be done about the damage.

Do i:

All idea's and opinions welcome:)

This may sound cheap and scroungy but we used to go to the local tip and get the guys who worked there to save us all the shower screens' We found that this was unbreakable and light and at the time years ago it saved me a fortune.

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Has the punter put in a claim against you for putting the lightscreen in a daft place ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Has the punter put in a claim against you for putting the lightscreen in a daft place ?

What, in front of the disco?

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
What, in front of the disco?

Yes, the gear shouldnt be able to be tripped over.
I hope you have PLI !

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
I hope you have PLI !

Will you get a grip Nigel.

The screen was in front of the disco and the silly woman kicked it as far as I'm aware.

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Will you get a grip Nigel.

The screen was in front of the disco and the silly woman kicked it as far as I'm aware.

Hows it her fault ?
She didnt place the light screen there !

Your lucky she didnt break her ankle !

UltraBeat Entertainment
12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
I hope you have PLI !

I must admit i wasn't going to reply to this one but here goes.

How the hell can you trip over something thats 3 foot tall? Surely then its classed as walking into something which you do when your not looking where your going therefore is your fault.

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 04:02 PM
I must admit i wasn't going to reply to this one but here goes.

How the hell can you trip over something thats 3 foot tall? Surely then its classed as walking into something which you do when your not looking where your going therefore is your fault.

But when people are dancing they go forwards and backwards.
Are you suggesting people shouldnt dance at your disco ?

I have had people bump into my speakers when on the dance floor loads of times.
The last thing I would do is have a glass screen in their path !

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
But when people are dancing they go forwards and backwards.
Are you suggesting people shouldnt dance at your disco ?

I have had people bump into my speakers when on the dance floor loads of times.
The last thing I would do is have a glass screen in their path !

They are not glass.

Do you even know what we are talking about?

Excalibur
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
They are not glass.

It's never stopped him before.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I have deleted one of my posts as I don't condone name calling on here and should know better.

I will keep my thoughts in my head next time.

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
They are not glass.

Maybe not but could still have cut someone !

Penfold42
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
She didnt place the light screen there !

So....where would you place them?
On a goalpost or on some trussing?

Interesting concept....

Sapphire Disco
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM

Yes I think they would be safer with wood in the front covered with carpet just to be on the safe side.

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
So....where would you place them?
On a goalpost or on some trussing?

Interesting concept....

If I was doing a risk assessment on that disco gear I would either find a place away from the dancefloor or discontinue using the lightscreen.

If people think this is the customers problem then they seriously need to look into health and safety in regards to a business !

Penfold42
12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes I think they would be safer with wood in the front covered with carpet just to be on the safe side.

What a good idea.....you could also save on bul....ooops sorry lamps.:sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
If I was doing a risk assessment on that disco gear I would either find a place away from the dancefloor or discontinue using the lightscreen.

If people think this is the customers problem then they seriously need to look into health and safety in regards to a business !

Where do you set your gear up then Nigel? In the car park?

Please go and read the facts for health and safety before spouting total rubbish. Go and check out risk assessments and method statements. Then go and speak to an insurance company about PLI.

Penfold42
12-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I maybe ignorant here.....but are they not supposed to be at the front of your rig covering up cables and the like.....
So placing them somewhere else defets the object. May as well buy a star cloth. :sofa:

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I maybe ignorant here.....but are they not supposed to be at the front of your rig covering up cables and the like.....

And also creating a barrier to stop people bowling into your gear I would have thought.

Charlie Brown
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh please:bang:

Nigel sometimes the way you talk, it makes me wonder whether we should all walk around in a giant plastic hard case bubble, with a oxygen filter system. Maybe all our food should be sterilised in case we affected by an unknown disease. Actually I'm not sure whether to go outside and take the bins...maybe I will slip on the icy floor....hang on let me get the safety tape and cones!

No I’m just joking but there is only so much you can do in terms of “Heath and Safety” maybe people at my disco’s should all wear helmets? :confused: :) :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't think Nigel knows what a light screen is.

Penfold42
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
And also creating a barrier to stop people bowling into your gear I would have thought.

My goal post / star cloth attracts more folk than moths....and then they try and pull the cloth down. :bang:

I don't think Nigel knows what a light screen is.

I don't think Nigel knows what day it is.....:sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
My goal post / star cloth attracts more folk than moths....and then they try and pull the cloth down. :bang:

I don't think Nigel knows what day it is.....:sj:

:D

So come on Nigel, what do you have in front of your gear? Barbed wire, a concrete barrier or an armed guard?

Excalibur
12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
:D

So come on Nigel, what do you have in front of your gear? Barbed wire, a concrete barrier or an armed guard?

I've done gigs where I'd have liked all three. ;)

nigelwright7557
12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh please:bang:

Nigel sometimes the way you talk, it makes me wonder whether we should all walk around in a giant plastic hard case bubble, with a oxygen filter system. Maybe all our food should be sterilised in case we affected by an unknown disease. Actually I'm not sure whether to go outside and take the bins...maybe I will slip on the icy floor....hang on let me get the safety tape and cones!

No I’m just joking but there is only so much you can do in terms of “Heath and Safety” maybe people at my disco’s should all wear helmets? :confused: :) :)

Being in a risk free (or as near as possible) workplace is part of my main job.
I work as a carer and my workplace has to be inspected regulary for hazards.

If you think ignoring safety is a good move then dont blame me when you get sued and your PLI doesnt cover you coz you werent safe !

Charlie Brown
12-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Being in a risk free (or as near as possible) workplace is part of my main job.
I work as a carer and my workplace has to be inspected regulary for hazards.
!

Ok fine and I respect that:)

Corabar Steve
12-01-2009, 09:04 PM
:rofl:

This is almost as good as the "speaker thread", it's cheered me up no end! :sj:

Excalibur
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM

It's alright for you, I'm just checking HSE guidelines to see if I'm allowed to keep the Taser option on the customised honey monster deckstand I ordered
yesterday! :( :( :(

Corabar Steve
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
As long as there is a notice about it clearly displayed by the entrance to the venue. :sj:

Charlie Brown
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Oh do you have a link by any chance:)

Tony Scott
12-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Do i:

c) Time to get rid of the old tat that should have been burned 15 yrs ago! :D

....with the new name should have come a new image...no? :)

DJ James Lake
13-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Well after the thoughts of risk assessments I am now going to set my entire disco up at the opposite end of the hall to the dancefloor just in case someone may bump into it while dancing and injure themselves.

Better to be safe than sorry :jumping:

UltraBeat Entertainment
13-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Thank you guys. This thread has been informative (at the beginning), Full of new ideas and most of all extremely entertaining so thanks:)

You couldn't write this kind of stuff:D

c) Time to get rid of the old tat that should have been burned 15 yrs ago! :D

....with the new name should have come a new image...no? :)

You do have a very good point there my friend and have thought about it a few times already. But i can't think of what to replace it with.

I don't want a starcloth as they don't offer much protection. and i want something that is visually pleasing, easy to setup but most importantly offers protection for me and the gear.

I don't forget it has to be 100% safe;)

ppentertainments
13-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Well after the thoughts of risk assessments I am now going to set my entire disco up at the opposite end of the hall to the dancefloor just in case someone may bump into it while dancing and injure themselves.

Better to be safe than sorry :jumping:

Take the fee, then don't turn up citing you are unable to perform due to health and safety risks :D :D

Corabar Steve
13-01-2009, 08:27 AM
We know somebody who did that don't we children?

Do not under any circumstances name names

Grahame Case
13-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't want a starcloth as they don't offer much protection. and i want something that is visually pleasing, easy to setup but most importantly offers protection for me and the gear.

I don't forget it has to be 100% safe;)

sounds like you want a JamesH Booth!

http://www.jameshuk.com/deckstandbooth.html

UltraBeat Entertainment
13-01-2009, 09:10 AM
We know somebody who did that don't we children?

What was his name again?:p

sounds like you want a JamesH Booth!

http://www.jameshuk.com/deckstandbooth.html

Looks very neat but looks like a pain in the :moon: to setup and with a starting price of £549 I'm feeling this isn't the solution for me:eek:

Corabar Steve
13-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Looks very neat but looks like a pain in the :moon: to setup

Trust me, having seen one in the flesh (or was it fur) so to speak on Sunday, I can say that really isn't the case.

Grahame Case
13-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Trust me, having seen one in the flesh (or was it fur) so to speak on Sunday, I can say that really isn't the case.

it's just a case of fold out and thats it isn't it?

ppentertainments
13-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Think James need to travel up country to show us Northern / Scottish lads.

Corabar Steve
14-01-2009, 06:55 AM
it's just a case of fold out and thats it isn't it?
It is braced at certain points, to make sure it doesn't fold in on itself if leaned on

Larry B Entertainment
14-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Cant see its anyones problem, just one of those things that happens. If the lightscreen hadnt of been there then the woman could have knocked into something else and it could have been much worse. I have had the same situation when someone has banged into my gear and sent it flying, no ones fault but her own for getting so drunk.

UltraBeat Entertainment
14-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Cant see its anyones problem, just one of those things that happens. If the lightscreen hadnt of been there then the woman could have knocked into something else and it could have been much worse. I have had the same situation when someone has banged into my gear and sent it flying, no ones fault but her own for getting so drunk.

That is actually a very good point.

If the light screen wasn't there it would actually caused a much bigger health and safety issue from all the trip hazards caused from all the cables the screen is covering up also then you have the legs of the stand which would be on show which would be another hazard and there may also be an issue with the audience being able to gain direct access to main electric.

So all in all the screens are more of a health and safety security barrier than a health and safety risk:)