PDA

View Full Version : Skybroadband With Wireless Laptop

mldiscos
14-01-2009, 08:17 AM
i recently taken out one of skys complete packages, was previously with bt, sky have supplied with one of their netgear wireless routers, which works fine as your hard wired to it i.e. rj45 into comp & router, this isn't exactly perfect being wireless, well couple of my lappys have got internal wireless know my vaio wont detect it but my fuji siemens will detect & connect but accoring to it its connected at the correct speed 100mbps, but connection status just say's "aqquiring network address" this is annoying, i've tried setting up complete new networks with docs supplied by sky, ssid,network key, etc etc, im really getting the hump with it know

any ideas guys

as piccy attached shows mines the black router

discomobiledj
14-01-2009, 09:12 AM
With the viao, don't use the default wireless connector, use the windows one.

If you know what your doing with the router, check the router's settings, username is admin and password is sky, make sure the wireless settings are as they should be.

I also changed my password as I had similar problems. Everything works fine now.

This is what my one looks like:

welby
14-01-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm on Sky broadband - have been since year dot and it's a tad fussy when setting it up.

Have you been into the config screen of the router via the web browser?

If you open up a web browser and goto http://192.168.0.1

and use the username of admin and password of sky

Here you can set all the wireless settings and you can change the wireless connection modes. On some laptops/wireless cards only support certain modes so you have to change your settings to suit.

I found by changing the mode to g & b it works with my wireless laptops.

The settings are:

g & b - Both 802.11g and 802.11b wireless stations can be used.
g only - Only 802.11g wireless stations can be used.
Auto 108Mbps - All 802.11g, 802.11b and Netgear 108Mbps wireless stations can be used.

You can also change the WEP Key here - you would then have to enter these on your laptop when setting up the connections.

I always turn on the Access List as this restricts access to your router to the people/laptops you want to allow to connect and helps protect you from hackers a bit more.

Hope this helps?

Mark

Sapphire Disco
14-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Just had the same problem with Vigin netgear, they sent a disc with it which I loaded onto my laptops but when I phoned them they told me to delete all of that and just use the laptops own wireless connectors.

Also I still had some BT soft ware loaded which was conflicting so I took it all off, put in the pass word and it was fine straightaway.