PDA

View Full Version : Speaker wadding

funkymike
15-01-2009, 09:06 AM
I have had to take apart one of my OHMs speakers to replace a side panel, which fell apart (long story). Anyway inside the cabnet there is foam eggbox type wadding! Now having taken a lot of speakers apart in my time I have never come across this, on a PA speaker, infact the last time io saw wadding was in the 80's in a home hi-fi.

So chaps your advice please, why is it in the there, because it deadens the sound, my gripe with these speakers has always been 'not enough bass', and would it ok to remover it?

They are Ohms RW6 models, so they have 2x 15" drivers

cheers

mike

Tom
15-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Just had a look at some forums regarding your speakers.

People take out this eggbox style stuff and stick in acoustic wadding where the eggshell stuff was.

Not much help, sorry.

Edit.

haha. You asked this question in 2007 but was after getting bass out of the speaker cab. Didn't even see it was MDD. lol. Blind as a bat. - http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php?t-6599.html

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Contact Ohm Mike - they'll know.

OHM (UK) LTD

Phone: +44 (0)1565 654641
Fax: +44 (0)1565 755641
[email protected]

PropellerHeadCase
15-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Wadding would be more likely to reduce rattling and/or upper frequencies, I would've thought.

nigelwright7557
15-01-2009, 09:47 PM
So chaps your advice please, why is it in the there, because it deadens the sound, my gripe with these speakers has always been 'not enough bass', and would it ok to remover it?

They are Ohms RW6 models, so they have 2x 15" drivers

cheers

mike

The problem with a speaker box is that without wadding you get sound bouncing off the inner walls and adding or subtracting to the original sound.

The modern wadding is the best stuff to use.