PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke Laptop Into A Normal TV HELP!

Bouncy Dancefloor
21-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hello, i have a laptop which i will be using for Karaoke. Due to budget restraints i am forced to use normal style TV's (one big, one small). Ive been told that wasnt a problem, until the cables arrived today and im having no joy

my laptop outputs on VGA, so i have a VGA to RCA cable (yellow) which doesnt seem to do alot, i have tried 2 of these now. I tried plugging in my PC's VGA lead to my laptop and that worked perfectly, so i know the problem is the cable and/or tv combo

How do people get around this? Ive definately seen Karaoke guys using normal TV's in conjunction with a laptop. Buying a flatscreen TV is not an option as the one venue i will be working in has an entire network of TV's wired using RCA for me to plug into

Any help is appreciated....first gig is Saturday, so im panicking!!

Vectis
21-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Have a read of http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17367

funkymike
21-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Does your laptop have a s-vga on it, a small 5 pin type socket, if so you can buy an adapter to make it rca then if the tv has a scart (most do) you can use that, there are many ways of doing it.

I think you can also buy a vga/tv adapter from craplins as well.

mike

Bouncy Dancefloor
21-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Vectis, that thread is the opposite way around

Im trying to go from a laptop into a traditional box type TV

Funkymike, there is no S Video, just VGA output

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-01-2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35258

They work - I used to use one before I got tfts and projectors.

Bouncy Dancefloor
21-01-2009, 06:26 PM
how does that one compare to this one? also from maplins and same price

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223833#checkstore

Mark Wild
21-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Surely its worth investing in small TFT when these convertors are £40 a pop and it would look so much better than a big box t.v at the venue.

Bouncy Dancefloor
21-01-2009, 06:48 PM
as i said in the original post, i plan to use two televisions on standard shows, but also work in a venue which has a network of screens, pre wired with just an RCA for me to plug into

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-01-2009, 10:40 PM

No idea. The one I linked to works. Surely that's all you need to know?

Bouncy Dancefloor
22-01-2009, 09:12 AM
ive been recommended both of these products, both work, yet surely there must be a difference between these two similar priced products

when given a choice of two product that both "work", you can then start to look at which product has benefits over the other

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 11:53 AM
ive been recommended both of these products, both work, yet surely there must be a difference between these two similar priced products

when given a choice of two product that both "work", you can then start to look at which product has benefits over the other

Not for a £40 converter I wouldn't.

One is out of stock now anyway.

Excalibur
23-01-2009, 06:57 AM
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35258

They work - I used to use one before I got tfts and projectors.

According to Maplins reply to this question, only by manufacturer.

Surely its worth investing in small TFT when these convertors are £40 a pop and it would look so much better than a big box t.v at the venue.
The OP states why he needs this function for connecting to this type of screen in a nenue fitted with them. However, I would agree totally with you that buying a TFT would be better value if that were all you needed.

Not for a £40 converter I wouldn't.

One is out of stock now anyway.
Stock levels refer to main stock, not individual shops. There is a facility on the site to check stock levels locally.
Round here, we're overrun with both items. ;)

welby
23-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi I have a Creative TV Coder external going spare.

I have upgraded to a pair of TFT's Screens and no longer use it.

It's in mint condition with all the cables/power supply etc and the original box.

There is no manual for it, but it is so easy to set up.

Specifications

PAL/NTSC

Colour Adjustment
75 Ohms on/off
Contrast Adjustment
Brightness Adjustment

RGB Video Out
VGA Monitor Out
VGA Card

S-VHS
Video Out
This is a nice bit of kit which cost £125 when new.

Open to offers or swap????

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-01-2009, 09:51 AM
it doesnt seem to do anything more than the £40 maplins one?

Corabar Steve
23-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi I have a Creative TV Coder external going spare.

I have upgraded to a pair of TFT's Screens and no longer use it.

It's in mint condition with all the cables/power supply etc and the original box.

There is no manual for it, but it is so easy to set up.

This is a nice bit of kit which cost £125 when new.

Open to offers or swap????
Quick welby, make 2 more posts then I won't have to delete that.:sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-01-2009, 10:41 AM
it doesnt seem to do anything more than the £40 maplins one?

SO BUY THE MAPLINS ONE!!!!! :D

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-01-2009, 10:45 AM
THERE ARE TWO AT MAPLINS!!!!
i got the smaller one from maplins today already, they had both in stock

im just curious to know what a £125 one offers than the £40 one doesnt! Im still interested as next week i have to buy a spare/backup

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-01-2009, 10:46 AM
THERE ARE TWO AT MAPLINS!!!!
i got the smaller one from maplins today already, they had both in stock

Thank god for that.

Anyone would think you're spending 4 grand not £40!

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-01-2009, 10:49 AM
for some people starting out in business, every purchase needs to be considered. Ive spent pretty much every penny ive got including my savings on this Karaoke setup, first gig is this Saturday and lets just say the funds are extremely limited, so youll have to excuse me if i make 100% sure before spending money i cant afford to spend on something that may not be suitable!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-01-2009, 10:52 AM
so youll have to excuse me if i make 100% sure before spending money i cant afford to spend on something that may not be suitable!!

But that's the point. I gave you the link and told you it worked. They had them in stock, they are cheap and they work. What else did you need to know? :bang:

Mark Wild
23-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Thank god for that.

Anyone would think you're spending 4 grand not £40!

:rofl:

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-01-2009, 01:38 PM
because on another "un-named" dj forum, i was suggested the other one, in pretty much the same tone as your post

so then there was a comparison between the two, and of course there could have been cheaper options too!

Excalibur
23-01-2009, 07:14 PM
because on another "un-named" dj forum, i was suggested the other one, in pretty much the same tone as your post

so then there was a comparison between the two, and of course there could have been cheaper options too!

As I read it, both were given equal ratings. ;)

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-01-2009, 07:17 PM
yes exactly, so which to choose? not so easy :p

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-01-2009, 08:14 PM
What a major decision.....

Bouncy Dancefloor
23-01-2009, 08:29 PM
doesnt take a clever person to think of sarcastic replies!

see my previous thread about lack of funds and wanting to make the correct purchase once and once only

Corabar Steve
24-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I would say it also doesn't take a clever person to give a snotty reply to one of the owners of this site. :sj:

Absolute power corrupts absolutely :sj: :sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-01-2009, 10:35 AM
doesnt take a clever person to think of sarcastic replies!

see my previous thread about lack of funds and wanting to make the correct purchase once and once only

I'm not going to bother helping or recommending anything to you again.

I recommended what you needed at a cheap price and you still went on about it.

It is a £40 PC- TV converter and you are asking about benefits????