PDA

View Full Version : New forum areas

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 02:19 PM
As we are in the process of changing a few bits and pieces on the forum, is there a forum you'd like to see created or a sub forum, or even a forum that exists that you think should be renamed?

Answers and ideas here please and they will be discussed.

Steve the DJ
22-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Just having a look through the existing forums I think you have everything covered.

The only thing that sprang to mind was maybe a "Resources" forum where important links and information could be stored a bit like an archive.

Jonathan Ford
22-01-2009, 03:03 PM
It would be nice to have an area that was only available to registered users, where we could be a bit more liberal with our views, language etc. without the fear of upsetting potential customers (or past and potentially repeat customers reading us giving them a slating).

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 03:07 PM
It would be nice to have an area that was only available to registered users, where we could be a bit more liberal with our views, language etc. without the fear of upsetting potential customers (or past and potentially repeat customers reading us giving them a slating).

There is already an area like that for supporters who help forum and hosting costs by contributing £1 a month. :)

Jonathan Ford
22-01-2009, 03:14 PM
There is already an area like that for supporters who help forum and hosting costs by contributing £1 a month. :)

Where do I send the money?

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Where do I send the money?

Go to your user CP control panel, scroll down and the last area should say 'Miscellaneous'. Under there should be a section called paid subscriptions. Click on that and it will show you what to do. :)

Vectis
22-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Suggestion re: For Sale section

Rather than just 100 posts, add a membership length clause, eg 100 posts AND been a member for 3 months.

Realise it's a bit more admin but I've noticed a couple of chancers racking up the magic 100 posting tosh.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Suggestion re: For Sale section

Rather than just 100 posts, add a membership length clause, eg 100 posts AND been a member for 3 months.

Realise it's a bit more admin but I've noticed a couple of chancers racking up the magic 100 posting tosh.

Yup, good idea. Changed.

funkymike
22-01-2009, 05:38 PM
What about a ranting room! grrrrrr

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 05:39 PM
What about a ranting room! grrrrrr

That's kind of what the supporters area is for. :)

funkymike
22-01-2009, 05:42 PM
That's kind of what the supporters area is for. :)

oh yer ok, its been a while:p

Anthor one then, the old farts room for the over 40's!

Tom
22-01-2009, 08:56 PM
What about a reviews section. So instead of people asking abut certain equipment or music, people can give a review of what they think of a certain lighting effect, speaker, amp. Just an idea. :)

EDIT: Also I see you have a Digital and computer section. The sub forums are computer dj and pc help. What about an area for dedicated controllers like denon, cortex, numark???

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 09:05 PM
What about a reviews section. So instead of people asking abut certain equipment or music, people can give a review of what they think of a certain lighting effect, speaker, amp. Just an idea. :)

EDIT: Also I see you have a Digital and computer section. The sub forums are computer dj and pc help. What about an area for dedicated controllers like denon, cortex, numark???

I did think about that, but could decide how to word it?

Reviews section has been asked about before and is another good idea, but will people actually do any reviews to go in it?

Tom
22-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I did think about that, but could decide how to word it?

Reviews section has been asked about before and is another good idea, but will people actually do any reviews to go in it?

Ahh, ok.

I have a few reviews I would like to type up and share with people. Just need more people to like the idea and get them typing and post up.

I think it could help other dj's who are looking at certain equipment. But also, instead of one review, leave the thread open where other people can leave there own review of equipment so people reading are not basing everything on one opinion. The more opinions on certain things, the better I think.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 09:15 PM
OK, so reviews forum, then sound and lighting sub forums. Anything else?

A1DL
22-01-2009, 09:28 PM
IReviews section has been asked about before and is another good idea, but will people actually do any reviews to go in it?

Daz, if a reviews area becomes known and respected, some manufacturers may issue trial pieces of kit and/or prototypes to be passed around members for road testing and reviewing.

This happens within the "Road Test" forum on PSW, whilst this isn't a UK forum, the principle is still good and the reviews are very valueable to the manufacturers.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/17/0/

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Thank for the link Tony - that looks to be going a bit deeper than we probably need here though.

Tom, if you want any reviews submitting, go ahead!

Tom
22-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Tom, if you want any reviews submitting, go ahead!

I will start typing soon and get one posted.

Adam_F
23-01-2009, 05:53 PM
OK, so reviews forum, then sound and lighting sub forums. Anything else?

Software??

So it doesn't get lost in the audio one.

Danno13
25-01-2009, 06:46 PM
How about a sub-forum in Music for all the top 10 lists? It would make them alot easier to find.

Shaun
26-01-2009, 12:02 AM
How about a sub-forum in Music for all the top 10 lists? It would make them alot easier to find.

Added.

funkymike
26-01-2009, 09:58 PM
What about a swapsie room? rather than paying out for different lights just swap them.only a thought

mike

andyw
07-02-2009, 01:25 PM
i'd like to see a subsection in the music area just for the tunes of the week,every monday those that want to can put their choice up all in the same thread then we can give them stick (i mean comment on their wonderfull choice) then when they hit the charts they can say told you so

Dazzler
08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I've found the playlists that Corabar Steve has been posting recently very helpful - they have helped me inject something a little different into a couple of my own playlists recently, and I have also discovered some tunes I had never heard before. Is there any mileage in having a subforum in the music section purely for playlists?

Shakermaker Promotions
14-04-2009, 02:52 PM
What about somewhere where the current Top 40 singles chart and download chart can be posted and updated every week? I know it's easy enough to look for it online but just a thought?

BeerFunk
14-04-2009, 03:08 PM
What about somewhere where the current Top 40 singles chart and download chart can be posted and updated every week? I know it's easy enough to look for it online but just a thought?I like that. Possibly incorporating the 'new tune of the week' threads too?

Vectis
14-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I just type c-h-a-r-t into Google and click I'm Feeling Lucky.

Top 40 singles chart, every time ;)

BeerFunk
14-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I just type c-h-a-r-t into Google and click I'm Feeling Lucky.

Top 40 singles chart, every time ;)Yes, but without discussion!

Shakermaker Promotions
14-04-2009, 07:35 PM
That's what I mean. We can have someone appointed to copy and paste the chart each sunday or monday and then take it from there?

Penfold42
14-04-2009, 07:38 PM
no - anyone can be sin binned if you step out of line whether you contribute or not.

Yeah - so watch it .....:sj:

That's what I mean. We can have someone appointed to copy and paste the chart each sunday or monday and then take it from there?

Volunteers anyone?

Excalibur
15-04-2009, 09:38 AM
In a similar vein to something posted by Tony A1DL, what about a section for your most successful tunes of the moment? Sort of like a tun of the week slot. If it were possible to then produce our own Top 10, 20 or 30 from it that would be awesome. Loads of work for some poor sod, but great.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Loads of work for some poor sod, but great.

And that is where the idea falls down.:(

womble
15-04-2009, 12:57 PM
In a similar vein to something posted by Tony A1DL, what about a section for your most successful tunes of the moment? Sort of like a tun of the week slot. If it were possible to then produce our own Top 10, 20 or 30 from it that would be awesome. Loads of work for some poor sod, but great.

There must be some free code out there somewhere (php?) that would be able to do this?

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2009, 12:59 PM
There must be some free code out there somewhere (php?) that would be able to do this?

Maybe there is, but we have enough work as it is. :)

womble
15-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe there is, but we have enough work as it is. :)

Maybe this thread should be closed then? ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Maybe this thread should be closed then? ;)

Maybe you shouldn't be worrying about how we run the forum. ;)

womble
15-04-2009, 01:11 PM
It's ok. I'm not worried.

:beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2009, 01:17 PM
It's ok. I'm not worried.

:beer1:

No need for the suggestion then was there? ;)

If anyone wants to run these charts and post them every week, then we have no problem with doing it.

womble
15-04-2009, 01:22 PM
It wasn't actually my suggestion, I was just trying to help out.

I'll dig through some php code sites and see if I can find anything that will do the trick this weekend.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-04-2009, 01:40 PM
It wasn't actually my suggestion, I was just trying to help out.

Are you volunteering then? :thumbsup:

Excalibur
15-04-2009, 05:27 PM
And that is where the idea falls down.:(

No arguments. Guessed as much, but the idea's nice.