PDA

View Full Version : Denon 1500 mixer too hot?

Dance FX
26-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for the Denon DN-X1500s to get very hot during use?

So far we have used it without a flight case but our new coffin case arrived this morning and we are worried that it will get even hotter once its in the case!!

Sarah

Penfold42
26-01-2009, 12:53 PM
What type of case is it?

Just make sure it has plenty of ventilation so the heat can dissipate....
Blimey.....:eek: did I just say that.;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for the Denon DN-X1500s to get very hot during use?

So far we have used it without a flight case but our new coffin case arrived this morning and we are worried that it will get even hotter once its in the case!!

Sarah

All Denon mixers seem to be like that Sarah - the power supply is right underneath I believe. I've had a 400 and 500 and both ran fairly hot.

BeerFunk
26-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, all the newer Denon mixers operate at a higher temparature. It's quiet normal, due to the digital circuitry, just the same as a computer motherboard really.

Dance FX
26-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone, I will tell my son not to worry.

The case has just arrived, it's an odyssey glide style coffin and it weighs a TON!!!
Lucky Phill is older now and can lift his own equipment because there is no way I am lugging that thing around!:eek:

Sarah

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, all the newer Denon mixers operate at a higher temparature. It's quiet normal, due to the digital circuitry, just the same as a computer motherboard really.

Its down to cutting corners in the power supply like cheapo small transformers. A mixer doesnt take that much power so its quite feasible to design a power supply that doesnt get hot.

I can design a 1000WRMS amp that doesnt fry at 10 amps so I am sure someone can design a mixer power supply using 1 amp not to cook.

ppentertainments
26-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Its down to cutting corners in the power supply like cheapo small transformers. A mixer doesnt take that much power so its quite feasible to design a power supply that doesnt get hot.

I can design a 1000WRMS amp that doesnt fry at 10 amps so I am sure someone can design a mixer power supply using 1 amp not to cook.

A niche in the market for you there Nigel

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 03:33 PM
A niche in the market for you there Nigel

Maybe its hot to keep the DJ's hands warm ?

BeerFunk
26-01-2009, 04:36 PM

I can design a 1000WRMS amp that doesnt fry at 10 amps so I am sure someone can design a mixer power supply using 1 amp not to cook.No it's not, the entire mixer heats up, it is the heat dissipation from the electronic circuits. Remember it has an on-board sampler, effects unit and digital matrix input.

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 09:12 PM
No it's not, the entire mixer heats up, it is the heat dissipation from the electronic circuits. Remember it has an on-board sampler, effects unit and digital matrix input.

I dont agree at all.
I have been designing electronics for 30+ years and never had heat problems.
Adequate heatsink, ventilation and fans means overheating should never happen.

Also bear in mind if it is getting that hot then the thermal cycling wont do the electronics any good at all.
Also electrolytic capacitors dont last as long in a hot environment.

Sounds to me like they just need a few lessons in electronic design !

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I dont agree at all.
I have been designing electronics for 30+ years and never had heat problems.
Adequate heatsink, ventilation and fans means overheating should never happen.

Also bear in mind if it is getting that hot then the thermal cycling wont do the electronics any good at all.
Also electrolytic capacitors dont last as long in a hot environment.

Sounds to me like they just need a few lessons in electronic design !

LMAO!

Yeah, I'm sure Denon have no idea what they are doing...

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 09:37 PM
LMAO!

Yeah, I'm sure Denon have no idea what they are doing...

Of course they know what they are doing.
Thye are designing stuff as cheap as possible to maximise profits !

BeerFunk
26-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Adequate heatsink, ventilation and fans means overheating should never happenAnd neither it does... what is your point? :confused:

Of course they know what they are doing.
Thye are designing stuff as cheap as possible to maximise profits !With all due respect Nigel, you really are on the completely wrong track here! Denon and Pioneer (amongst others) don't operate at the 'budget' end of the market, and rely on their reputation for manufacturing quality, reliable equipment. Of course they have to design within a budget, and with a target retail price, but I can say with no hesitation that they would not compromise on key components.

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 09:59 PM
With all due respect Nigel, you really are on the completely wrong track here! Denon and Pioneer (amongst others) don't operate at the 'budget' end of the market, and rely on their reputation for manufacturing quality, reliable equipment. Of course they have to design within a budget, and with a target retail price, but I can say with no hesitation that they would not compromise on key components.

But they arent charities they exist primarily to make a profit.

If they make 1,000,000 units and save a penny on a resistor then that is £10,000 saved.

So if they save £1 on a cheap heatsink ?
You do the maths !

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2009, 10:03 PM
With all due respect Nigel, you really are on the completely wrong track here!

I wouldn't waste your breath Callum.

Corabar Steve
27-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Here we go again :sj:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Ive had this mixer a year and used it for all my gigs some lasting as long as six/seven hours. The heating thing does worry me abit but ive never had any proplems with it! I have it sat on top of its metal flight case but i would be abit worried about putting it in a coffin case. Saying that i love my denon equipment (got two dns3500) and its quality throughout despite what Nigel says.

A1DL
28-01-2009, 07:53 PM
IMHO Denon make rather nice mixers, the rotary channel matrix is very innovative and they are well laid out. We have sold quite a few of them and also have used them on installs - never any complaints from the DJs.

Penfold42
28-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Saying that i love my denon equipment (got two dns3500) and its quality throughout despite what Nigel says.
What....you listen to him...:eek:
;) :D

IMHO Denon make rather nice mixers, the rotary channel matrix is very innovative and they are well laid out.

:agree:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2009, 08:49 PM
What....you listen to him...:eek:
;) :D

:agree:

Its just like going round to grandads house. You cant take what he says seriously but you sure do laugh about it?

nigelwright7557
28-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Ive had this mixer a year and used it for all my gigs some lasting as long as six/seven hours. The heating thing does worry me abit but ive never had any proplems with it! I have it sat on top of its metal flight case but i would be abit worried about putting it in a coffin case. Saying that i love my denon equipment (got two dns3500) and its quality throughout despite what Nigel says.

A mixer shouldnt run hot.
A amp maybe but not a mixer.

Having said that semiconductors can run upto 150 degrees C.
But that doesnt mean you should be frying your hand on it !

Big expensive heatsink, less heat. Small cheap heatsink more heat.

BeerFunk
28-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't waste your breath Callum.
A mixer shouldnt run hot.
A amp maybe but not a mixer.

Having said that semiconductors can run upto 150 degrees C.
But that doesnt mean you should be frying your hand on it !

Big expensive heatsink, less heat. Small cheap heatsink more heat.:zip:

Dynamic Entertainment
28-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Can someone get the head bloke/girl at Denons Research & Development on here to shut Nigel up :D. I dont mind writing the email inviting them..... :D :D :D

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2009, 10:52 PM
"Having said that semiconductors can run upto 150 degrees C.
But that doesnt mean you should be frying your hand on it !"

So your telling me my mixer is also a hot plate?? Awesome! Another reason to buy Denon ;)

nigelwright7557
28-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Can someone get the head bloke/girl at Denons Research & Development on here to shut Nigel up :D. I dont mind writing the email inviting them..... :D :D :D

While your on ask them why their mixers cook......

Dynamic Entertainment
28-01-2009, 11:00 PM
While your on ask them why their mixers cook......

lol, love to. Must admit it was a bit worrying at first but now im used to it with Denon.

DeckstarDeluxe
28-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I like my eggs done at 145bpm's hahahahahahaha:p

Corabar Steve
29-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Silvio Zeppieri from Denon (Username Denon) is actually a member, although he only usually comes on here when there's something to promote.

soundtracker
29-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Hook it up to some Mackies, and then it'll seem a lot cooler:sofa:

Bouncy Dancefloor
29-01-2009, 01:04 PM
the denon mixers usually take about 1 Motown Track to boil an egg with a nice runny yolk
If you like them extra hard, then i recommend 1 meatloaf track

Dynamic Entertainment
29-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Silvio Zeppieri from Denon (Username Denon) is actually a member, although he only usually comes on here when there's something to promote.

Cool. Wouldnt it be good to have all the major players on here promomting/informing about their stufff. Or am i in cuckoo land :)