PDA

View Full Version : Maya44 Output low?

welby
26-01-2009, 05:09 PM
OK

here's the dilemma, The Maya44 External Soundcard does not appear to drive the KAM 1010 Mixer at the required levels so there is a low level signal going out to an amp or to active speakers from the mixer.

I have seen this complaint on many websites so I decided to have a look at the specifications of the Maya44 and my KAM 1010 Mixer.

I had to do some conversions as the specification figures are quoted in different units ie dbv Volts RMS etc.

I used this excellent audio calculator to do the conversions:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

The output specification for a maya44 external soundcard is -10DBV unbalanced at an impedance of 100 ohms.

Which in English means 100ohms @ 0.316227766 volts RMS (0.894427191 volts p-p)

The Kam 1010 Mixer inputs are Line/CD at 47kOhms @ 0.15 v RMS (-16DBV) - (0.424264069 volts p-p)

You would have thought that the levels Maya44 would be at a high level to drive the mixer. I'm Confused!!!!

I used this text as a starting point:

What is line level? –10dBV and +4dBu demystified
Line level is a term used to denote the strength of an audio signal used to transmit analog sound information between audio components such as preamps, equalizers, mixers, DVD players, and amplifiers. You’ve probably seen switches on your gear that offer you a choice between –10dBV and +4dBu, which raises some questions, the first being, “What do they mean?” immediately followed by “Which do I use?” Other questions to follow might include “Does one sound better than the other?” and “Can I use a –10dBV unit with one set at +4dBu?”

–10dBV and +4dBu are measures of nominal level. The dictionary defines “nominal” as “the stated or original value only.” In electronics, nominal level is a design specification. It’s the signal strength at which an electronic signal-processing device is designed to operate for optimal performance. The operating level for consumer electronics is –10dBV, while +4dBu is the operating level for professional audio equipment. +4dBu puts out four times the level of –10dBV gear, since professional equipment may require higher voltage levels to carry a signal over longer cable runs without degrading. In properly designed equipment, a –10dBV system will provide equal sound quality to a +4dBu system. Troubles occur when you mismatch settings on interconnected equipment. A +4dBu output will overload a –10dBV input and cause distortion, whereas a –10dBV output will not have enough signal strength to drive a +4dBu input.

The reference voltage for 0dBV is exactly 1.0 volt (1V). –10dBV is equal to 0.316Vrms (rms stands for root-mean-square or continuous voltage). The reference voltage or nominal level of 0dBv is 0.775V, or 1.23Vrms. In dBu, the “u” stands for “unterminated," which originally was referenced by a lower-case “V.” Too often confused with upper-case V, lower case “u” was adopted.

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I had a similar problem just driving my PC monitor speakers from the PC.
In teh end it was as simple as finding the Windows volume control and turning it up. If i remember right there are two volume controls , one for the output and a master volume too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-01-2009, 08:37 PM
If it's a USB card, it shouldn't be anything to do with that Nigel.

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Its worth a tweak just in case.

sleah
27-01-2009, 08:19 AM
I had a similar problem just driving my PC monitor speakers from the PC.
In teh end it was as simple as finding the Windows volume control and turning it up. If i remember right there are two volume controls , one for the output and a master volume too.

Actually there is a windows mixer for the MAYA44 USB...... unless you use ASIO drivers, which is unlikely, even then there is a mixer of sorts.

Its worth a tweak just in case.

Exactly!

Oh, and in English:D
In simple terms, there are two line levels, 400mv and 775mv (ish:whistle:)
400mv outputs are often refered to as 'record' out.
It's all quite complecated and involved, but it could be the MAYA44 has a 400mv output and the mixer 775mv input.

I use MAYA44 USB and it drives my :Censored:Numark very well, but then I doubt Numark exactly conform to what would be considered industry standard by audio professionals:p
When used with my 'proper' mixer (3G) I need to turn the channel gains about 1/4 more than a CD player.
When I was nightclubbing, I needed to put inline amplifiers between the MAYA44 and the :Censored:Numark they had, just to get reasonable volume from it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Actually there is a windows mixer for the MAYA44 USB...... unless you use ASIO drivers, which is unlikely, even then there is a mixer of sorts.

I used a Maya EX for years and that didn't have any kind of mixer and used ASIO drivers, which is why I thought the 44 would be similar.

sleah
27-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I used a Maya EX for years and that didn't have any kind of mixer and used ASIO drivers, which is why I thought the 44 would be similar.

The mixer for the AISO drivers is well hidden, there's some kind of icon that gets installed in the start menu I think:confused:

That said, I also have A GIGA port, which is almost identical, but it's AISO driver doesn't have a mixer, but I'm sure windows gives you a simple volume:confused:

welby
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your help in this.

I have found out by using the Manufacturers ASIO drivers you get a volume control slider option which works well, but I tried this out last week and the laptop crashed.

I swapped back to the ASIO drivers for all, which sadly does not have any slider volume controls so I have to use the gain control in Virtual DJ and It doesn't crash Virtual DJ.

I have checked the logs of the computer and can see no error message as to why it crashed.

Confused?

DazzyD
06-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Were you using XP drivers on a Vista machine or vice versa?

Even in XP-Compatibility mode, XP stuff can often cause problems in Vista. And, although I've never tried it, I would expect Vista stuff to cause real problems for XP.

Saying that, I've just gotten a new laptop (an ACER Aspire 5920 - same old ACER problem but I'll post about that later!) and I've managed to do a straightforward install of the SoundBlaster USB soundcard, software and drivers with no problems (up to now!).