Max (W) 400

Which one is the actual power?

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I am looking at a couple of speakers and have the following:

RMS (W) 200
Max (W) 400

Max is the peak the speaker can take for a short period. so RMS would be more useful.

Cj_The_Dj
27-01-2009, 12:42 PM

RMS (W) 200
Max (W) 400

go by rms and you should be fine.

rob1963
27-01-2009, 01:25 PM

RMS (W) 200
Max (W) 400

Although the RMS rating is the actual power, this relates to a constant tone, which music never is...it has peaks & troughs.

Therefore, for disco purposes, you can add at LEAST 30% to the RMS rating to find out how much "music power" the speakers will handle.

Corabar Steve
27-01-2009, 01:28 PM
They're both power :sj:

Tom
27-01-2009, 02:04 PM
As others have said, go by the RMS figure.

Ill keep quiet now. Lol

sleah
27-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Neither... both... err... yes....err no...:(

Both are a power rating of sorts. Suffice to say, the RMS is the remotely meaningful rating, the 'peak' or 'PMPO' or 'music power' is the meaningless Boy Racer rating that makes their car stereos louder than our disco rigs.

But then the watts rating is about electricity, not volume. You need the SPL rating to know how loud it will be.

That said, watts rating is generally good enough for what we do.

A1DL
27-01-2009, 03:35 PM
You need the SPL rating to know how loud it will be.

absolutely correct.

That said, watts rating is generally good enough for what we do.

:confused: you've just contradicted yourself Simon. what does "generally good enough" mean? You can't change the laws of physics ;)

Excalibur
27-01-2009, 04:35 PM
:confused: you've just contradicted yourself Simon. what does "generally good enough" mean? You can't change the laws of physics ;)

Perhaps he means for matching up amps and speakers. SPL figures don't help there. Have a look at the sticky topic on this, it gives a basic idea. I'm going behind the sofa, till the bullets stop. ;)

A1DL
27-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Have a look at the sticky topic on this, it gives a basic idea.

Was that for me, Peter? :o :p

Excalibur
27-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Was that for me, Peter? :o :p

Sorry Tony, it does appear thus, doesn't it? My error. :o :o :o It was indeed aimed at the OP, but have a look anyway Tony, it may be informative. :sofa:

A1DL
27-01-2009, 05:31 PM
post deleted

Excalibur
27-01-2009, 05:34 PM
OK, point taken. :youdaman:

sleah
27-01-2009, 07:28 PM
absolutely correct.

Perhaps he means for matching up amps and speakers. SPL figures don't help there. Have a look at the sticky topic on this, it gives a basic idea. I'm going behind the sofa, till the bullets stop. ;)

Err... yes.. and
we tend to use watts as a sort of yard stick. Someone says they need a PA for a 30th for 200people in a village hall, we tend to recommend say a 1000w system rather than saying you need *something* that will produce 127db at 4 meters, which could be an efficient 500w PA or an ineffecient 1500w PA.
Does that make anykind of sense?:)

Note: Figures are purely for illustration only. Any similarity to acurate figures is purely conincidental or a darn good guess:D

Penfold42
27-01-2009, 07:32 PM
post deleted

I only took the picture out.....didn't want you to delete the whole post. :)

Sorry for any confusion. :)

A1DL
27-01-2009, 07:35 PM

No confusion, Tony... the caption without the picture read like a blank "wish you were here" holiday postcard... i.e. was pretty pointless, hence I deleted it. :)

A1DL
27-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Err... yes.. and
we tend to use watts as a sort of yard stick. Someone says they need a PA for a 30th for 200people in a village hall, we tend to recommend say a 1000w system rather than saying you need *something* that will produce 127db at 4 meters, which could be an efficient 500w PA or an ineffecient 1500w PA.
Does that make anykind of sense?:)

Sure Simon - I understand where you are coming from, indeed you appear to be one of the minority whom have a decent understanding of this subject. :)

However I'm sure you will agree, (and it's not just on this forum by any means) too many people get hung up on watts watts watts, which as I've pointed out before, is like bragging about a car that has a 5 Ltr engine and does 15mpg. I couldn't care less how big the engine is, or how poor the fuel consumption is, all I want to know is how fast the thing will go! But that one critical fact so often gets omitted!

sleah
27-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Sure Simon - I understand where you are coming from, indeed you appear to be one of the minority whom have a decent understanding of this subject. :)

However I'm sure you will agree, (and it's not just on this forum by any means) too many people get hung up on watts watts watts, which as I've pointed out before, is like bragging about a car that has a 5 Ltr engine and does 15mpg. I couldn't care less how big the engine is, or how poor the fuel consumption is, all I want to know is how fast the thing will go! But that one critical fact so often gets omitted!

Cheers!:beerchug:
My background is electronics and working with Audio-Visual kit, so have a grasp on things at component level.:cool: :)

I agree about the watts thing. Speak our 'DJ' language on the Blue Room forum and it *really* winds them up:D:D

Oh, I have a car with a 7.8ltr engine that does 10mpg (before you press the gas:eek:), and I haven't taken it over a ton yet:o

Excalibur
28-01-2009, 07:00 AM

Strewth Tony, causing trouble again? :(

No confusion, Tony... the caption without the picture read like a blank "wish you were here" holiday postcard... i.e. was pretty pointless, hence I deleted it. :)

Tony A1, no offence here mate, I thought it was funny. :D :D :D :D :D :D