PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting

Steve 'B'
29-01-2009, 01:39 PM
I have been doing some gigs with LED lighting around the edge of the room and on more than one occasion now have come in to a really awkward situation. I have only had 2-3 power points in the whole dance area that are located right where the DJ goes so with that said, I am having to run leads all around the venue in order to get a nice effect from the uplights. Has anybody got a neat and tidy solution for daisy chaining LED lighting or perhaps a product you use to get the neatest run from light to light?:bang:

Your answers are greatly appreciated.:)

wensleydale
29-01-2009, 05:46 PM
you buy iec splitters and do it that way- iec male to female leads running between the lights and use the splitters to put one plug into the lights and one running onto the next one.

the low power should mean you can do a fair few lights from one socket and you already have the dmx cable going between lights so its not too messy

nigelwright7557
29-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds a bit scary running mains leads around where people might be sitting.
One trip and you could have a light smashed.

I prefer to just stick to the stage and only allow access to the stage on one side where the least amount of gear is setup.

wensleydale
29-01-2009, 06:17 PM
but then you cant offer the whole concept of uplighting.
apart from on the stage.

nigelwright7557
29-01-2009, 06:19 PM
but then you cant offer the whole concept of uplighting.
apart from on the stage.

I have enough trouble with people tripping over cables and lights on the stage.

On the first disco I worked for they used to tie up cables run alongside the room. Its a bit mroe effort but worth it I am sure.

Vectis
29-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Get some of these, about £1.50 each from CPC, and a whole bunch of different length IEC cables (I use rings of coloured insulation tape on mine to denote length so if they end up like a snake-pit it doesn't take too long to grab the right one). Also put IECs on the flying tails of the cans, if yours have them.

I use .75mm cable and make my own IEC leads; they're very thin and therefore easy to run adjacent to the DMX lead, and can support half a dozen cans with no concerns.

Job done.

djsteve10
29-01-2009, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=nigelwright7557;310012]I have enough trouble with people tripping over cables and lights on the stage. QUOTE]

Ever heard of Gaffa tape Nigel?

Shakermaker Promotions
29-01-2009, 09:06 PM
More often than not I have had to work round socket problems. A surprise the other week came when there were an unusual amount of sockets. It was great though as it meant that the LEDJ's were plugged in directly and as I wasn't DMX'ing them up, it was very tidy.