PDA

View Full Version : USB DMX Controllers

wensleydale
09-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I know this subject has been covered before but I couldnt find anything answering the below- apologies if its a duplicate-

One for all the lampys out there.

At the moment I have a basic DMX controller but am looking to get something more advanced.

2 options I am considering are the Stairville DMX Master from Thomann which seems to be rated highly, or the other option is using a laptop- MyDmx or Freestyler.

The Stairville one would be fine for uplighting jobs, but programming scanners and/or movers takes a while (or it did last time i tried)

If I go down the laptop route can you download pre written shows for Freestyler or do I need to start from scratch- am I right in saying I always need a laptop too- theres no way of downloading the shows to the USB interface.

Jiggles
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Use the search facility there's a few topic on this somewhere.

Tony Scott
09-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Use the search facility there's a few topic on this somewhere.

He said he'd looked and couldn't find an answer hence his post!

If I go down the laptop route can you download pre written shows for Freestyler or do I need to start from scratch- am I right in saying I always need a laptop too- theres no way of downloading the shows to the USB interface.

I use freestyler and for most lighting fixtures you can download fixture files. .fxt files set the parameters, channels and provide the right configurations for each type of light but you still have to programme the scenes.

You have to use a PC/laptop to run a USB/DMX interface but you don't have to use a dedicated pc, for about a year I used my playout PC for lighting also with no issues at all, I still have the programme ready to go just incase my lighting laptop fails. :)

Ajaysdisco
09-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Funny you should bring this up, I was looking into computer DMX earlier today.
Have a look at:
:beer1: (http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17834) (Click on the glass)

Dynamic Entertainment
09-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Im assuming by prewritten shows, you mean complete scenes and not the individual lighting profies. i.e. CH1-pan CH2-Tilt CH3-Gobo etc?

Dont know about freestyler but Daslight DVC2 Gold has internal memory so you can load a programme into it then disconnect the lappy.

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=3532&highlight=

Daslight also has a scene generator. Doesnt build full shows for you but if you want a perfect circle pattern with the scanners for example, you can generate this and it saves mapping individual points.

Or for even more control, use the Ryger Footlight

http://www.rygershop.co.uk/shop/article_12/Footlight-USB-DMX.html?shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D12%26

Again, Daslight is the software and you can programme 6 full shows into storage and call up with the buttons.

Jiggles
09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
American DJ MyDMX is pretty much the same as DasLight appart from some bits.

Tony Scott
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Dont know about freestyler but Daslight DVC2 Gold has internal memory so you can load a programme into it then disconnect the lappy.

Can't do this with freestyler...:(

Daslight also has a scene generator. Doesnt build full shows for you but if you want a perfect circle pattern with the scanners for example, you can generate this and it saves mapping individual points.

Can do this with freestyler...:)

Dynamic Entertainment
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
American DJ MyDMX is pretty much the same as DasLight appart from some bits.

Never used My DMX. Screenshots look similar but Ive been told that MyDMX is less compatible with the footlight. Not sure if its true but seen as Rygers site states Daslight id be tempted to go with that if the Footlight is of interest.

In fairness to Freestyler Tony, every Theatre lighting jock i know has freestyler so they must be doing something right :)

Shakermaker Promotions
09-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I've got a MYDMX on order now. Everywhere is selling out of them so my local DJ shop guys tells me. I'm looking forward to learning how to use it when it arrives (in the next fortnight hopefully).

wensleydale
09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
thanks guys- interesting that everyone seems to favour the pc based approach- a few months ago the stairville unit was the one to go for.

there's still a fair bit of cost difference- stairville controller £90 vs £90 for the usb/dmx adaptor plus the cost of a laptop, although I suppose you could prob pick up a 2nd hand one for about £100

going to download freestyler and see how i get on.

DJ James Lake
09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I recently started using Chauvet ShowXpress, absolute doddle to program and already has built in movements for scanners and moving heads.

Had already tried other inc freestyler but couldnt get on with them at all.
http://showxpress.thelightingcontroller.com/english/soft1.html

DeckstarDeluxe
09-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Can i throw a spanner in the works. I recently got the ilead dmx controller and i think its the bees knees! Its great for my moving heads!

Vectis
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
The MyDMX is great, especially if you're new to computer-based DMX, BUT my biggest problem was lack of a sound-activated mode.

I'm now a happy Daslight user. :beer1:

Alex - Cream Ents
12-02-2009, 09:15 PM
ShowCAD...pricey, but by far the don. www.showcad.com

Simple, fast, effective and service is second to none.