PDA

View Full Version : Review: American DJ SDJ -2

pagan_flame
15-02-2009, 03:08 PM
While wandering around the DJ show (Clive / CRS1's) in January, I was contemplating the possibility of a digital playout controller; I already have had, for a few years, laptops with OTSDJ; however I invariably get bored with moving the mouse around and revert to CDs once the party gets started.

So the solution was to find a hands-on controller to eliminate CDs to the realms of backup only - such an item for OTSDJ is hard to come by! The Hercules controller, as far as I can tell, has no screen at all, you will have to look at the laptop to see what's going on... and No Thank You I don't want to abandon my beloved, stable, user-friendly OTSDJ for something else!

So, let's get Denon controllers out of the way first - seen 'em, tried 'em, and I don't like 'em. If you have one and like it, good for you; I have Mackie SRM450s and like those but accept that there are plenty of people who will deride me for my choice.

So, please accept that I'm not about to punt out a grand for a Denon bundle, and let's move on, shall we...? :p

I did have a look at the Numark system at the show - very tempting but was told in a quiet aside that a new version was imminent with a mixer built-in, and Lo! Just today an email pops in telling me all about the Numark HD mix - only a grand with keyboard and flightcase...

...so in the end I got a top deal from Clive (CRS1) on an American DJ SDJ-2 player.

Take it out of the box - it is a 3U standalone racking device with twin screens, jog wheels - basically everything you have with a CD controller; in the middle is a basic mixer, plus two card slots and a USB slot. At the back is power input, microphone input, and two outputs - you can either take two separate outputs into two channels of your main mixer - or take just one output into one channel of your mixer, and use the onboard mixer and headphone socket for mixing purposes - a quick push of the 'Mixed Source' button enables or disables this as required.

For my own setup - I took one output into channel one of my American DJ Q-2422 mixer, leaving channels 2 & 3 free for CD decks - and also utilising the handy option of a selector switch on channel 3 to switch between CD deck 2, my laptop, or an iPod according to what I want to play from!

Back to the SDJ-2; two slots take an SD memory card; this model claims to support up to 16 Gig cards, but I have stuck with a selection of 2 and 4 Gb cards, tell you why in a moment... and in the middle is the big bonus, a USB slot. Into this you can input an external hard drive or - a USB memory stick. Very handy for guest DJs or for gigs where the client wants to bring a track or two along themselves.

You select between cards or USB device with a single button by each 'deck' - lights by the button show you which source that 'deck' is playing from. You can cue up and play from the same device at the same time.

Now the extra bit - there are two control knobs with each deck as well - entitled 'Folder' and 'Title'. You can organise your MP3 files in folders (one level only) on your PC with the supplied SD card adaptor - drag & drop or cut & paste as you like - then once in the SDJ-2 you use the 'Folder' knob to scroll through them. Once you have settled on a folder, you use the 'Title' knob to scroll through the files until you find your chosen track.

Very easy and simple - at my last burlesque night I showed this to a guest DJ - a blonde female with very little experience of DJing - she got it straight away and DJ'd her 1 hour set from a USB stick she had prepared earlier!

However! If you have a huge database - e.g. 16 gig card / external hard drive, you will have to scroll through the lot in order, there is no shortcut other than strategic storage in folders; i.e. if you want to play a track by ELO and you have 500 tracks in your folder labelled 'E', you will have to start at the top and scroll from Ea(gles?) through 200-odd tracks to get to the one you want - hence my targetting of smaller cards with popular tracks.

And - NO search facility by keyword... not even a 'Fast Forward' button to get you through the intro of 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' a bit faster!

Final Warning! There is NOTHING to stop you accidentally popping out a card or USB stick while it is playing, resulting in the dead air / slow handclap / jeering associated with such events, best to stick with just one set of cards for the evening or make absolutely sure you are ejecting the correct card when swapping one over!

Cueing - if you are using your main mixer with 2 channels then it's business as usual; but if you are cueing from the SDJ-2's mixer, there are no level meters with the mixer (coming on the SDJ-3?) and there is an infuriatingly tiny 'Pan' knob that moves the headphone mix from one channel to the other for cueing purposes.

There is, however, a 'Q Start' function (= fader start) on the onboard mixer for such things, and the crossfader itself is every bit as superb as the one on my main mixer.

Also - it doesn't allow you to create playlists or store them; It is essentially like DJing with CDs but without the disc being involved in the operation. This is exactly what suits me - with my laptop as a database, for playlists or for quick searching for requests, and the CDs as backup to all of that.

So I have retained my hands-on DJing but changed 2-3 large boxes of CDs for a SD memory card case which goes into my pocket plus a small CD wallet with a few Now / general party compilations; I will still take the boxes to the venue but can leave them in the van as backup for the unlikely event of both SDJ-2 and laptop failing at the same time.

Power cuts / sound limiters - the SDJ powers up in a couple of seconds and cues tracks in about the same time. Main mixer failure? I can connect the SDJ-2 direct to the rack and use the onboard mixer to get me by.

Overall, very recommended if you like a hands-on system that requires you to use your brain for the evening's musical selections (as with CDs) and also good if you don't like all the carrying in of CD boxes, and want to retain a degree of separation of playout options in case of equipment failure.

Not recommended if you want to go totally digital, create and run playlists, have a huge collection of tracks on one source or to be able to search for a track.

Can be had very easily for around the £250 mark if you let Google in your life when shopping around... SD cards around the 5 quid mark.

Here's the console with the SDJ-2 at the bottom, Q-2422 above and controller for KAM decks above that:

http://www.slingshot.uk.com/fd/photos/fdr_console_140209.jpg

Dynamic Entertainment
15-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Brilliant review, cheers :)

Vectis
15-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Great review :)

As most folks know, I'm a d2 user. I have the SDJ1 as a backup/spare decks arrangement. I originally bought the SDJ1 with caution as I had been told that navigation was a bit restricted for someone used to d2s and laptops, and I had to concur. So it's interesting to see that the SDJ2 isn't any better.

However in practice I have a 5-channel Numark CM200 mixer with Ch1+2 connected to my d2, Ch3+4 connected to my SDJ1 and Ch5 switchable between two line level inputs and a wired mic (all backups).

During normal playout, I use the d2 99% of the time, but I keep a couple of SD cards loaded into the SDJ1 with a sprinkling of top tracks from each genre that, whilst perfectly danceable and fitting for the majority of events, I would rarely play unless requested. As I move through the evening I'll change the SDJ1 so that at all times at least one relevant song is cued ready to switch across if needs be.

I've not needed to revert to the SDJ1 as yet, but I have found myself playing the cued song on occasion, or using it to try to quickly 'insert' a request when I know the requested song is already on the SD card but the d2 is already cued for the next song and there's less than 30 seconds to go!

So, in conclusion, as a d2 / laptop user, I find the SDJ1 absolutely spot on as a backup device but I'd really struggle to use it as primary playout. I suspect the same is so of the SDJ2 based on this review.

pagan_flame
15-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I used it last night as my primary playout - I played around 10 tracks from the laptop that I didn't have on the card, and no CDs at all!

Woodyo
15-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I use one of these players too. Not being able to find tracks on the cards can be a problem. The player seems to read the tracks in alaphabetical order. I found you need to create your folders thoughtfully first . Folders with up to 30 tracks are quite easily searchable with the control knob , but as stated before if you have a large folder with 200 or 300 tracks ( say your seventies folder) then even remembering what's in the folder is a nightmare.
What I have done is set-up all my big folders the way I want them , Seventies , Eighties etc etc . Make sure that track numbers are cleared from the songs title tag , I then export the folder to a media player as a playlist , and sort in alaphabetical order and save it . I then have a playlist copier programme which I downloaded for free which I use to print the playlist out , giving track number , track , artist and length. This then becomes a quick reference which you can browse through for deciding what to play next or if you need to find which a track i a certain folder. So if "Dancing Queen " is track number 221 in you seventies folder its easier to find quickly. Im quite sure there is a better way of cataloging what is on the sd card but this is the best method I can come up with.

Tom
15-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Great review. :) Good to see more people putting reviews up. :)

Just an idea. What about creating folders like 70's A to E, F to I and so on????

DeckstarDeluxe
15-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Great review. :) Good to see more people putting reviews up. :)

Just an idea. What about creating folders like 70's A to E, F to I and so on????

its what i do with my mp3 cd's and of course you only get 660ish meg on a cd.....

Tom
15-02-2009, 07:10 PM
its what i do with my mp3 cd's and of course you only get 660ish meg on a cd.....

I usually get about 120 tracks on my mp3 discs for the car but now I just use a small usb stick. Much easier. lol.

Adam_F
18-02-2009, 01:29 PM
One thing to note with this unit, is that it only has a 2 band EQ per channel, so not ideal if you play with the EQs while mixing. (not a problem if you route the two audio outs into a standard mixer, but that kind of defeats the object of buying a unit with a built-in mixer).

pagan_flame
01-03-2009, 05:57 PM
For a footnote... last night I did a wedding (thanks Wayno), starting at 8.15 (speeches ran over, as they always do!) to midnight.

I played 5 tracks on CD, 5 on the laptop, and the rest were on the SDJ-2. I didn't have to change cards, so it is perfectly viable as a primary playout system for general party use!

Sapphire Disco
13-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these are you still happy with it , anyone else got one , what do you think ?

DJMaxG
13-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I have the SDJ 1, and it's a Great tool.

Nice and hardwearing, professional layout etc.

It's only 1U, and I prefer seperate decks to be fair, but it's nice to have.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2009, 07:10 PM
I have the SDJ 1, and it's a Great tool.

Nice and hardwearing, professional layout etc.

It's only 1U, and I prefer seperate decks to be fair, but it's nice to have.

It's 2U, not 1U.

DJMaxG
13-07-2009, 07:12 PM
It's 2U, not 1U.

Most Amplifiers are 2U, and it is nowhere near as big.

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Max, it's 2U.

I have one in a rack and can assure you it's 2U.

Have a Google for it if you don't believe me.

Penfold42
13-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Max, it's 2U.

Awww.....leave him alone....he's just trying to find his feet on the right planet! :sj:

Adam_F
13-07-2009, 07:22 PM

:eek:

Max, it's 2U.

Are you sure its 2U Darren?? :Laugh:

Max, the ADJ Media Operator is 1U, as Daz has mentioned, the SDJ 1 is 2U, and the SDJ 2 for reference is 3U.

flatliners
17-07-2009, 11:32 PM
i got the sdj1 that i won at bpm last year gonna keep it as a back up and maybe get rid of my hercules rmx because its not rackmoutable and get another digital controller

Starlight
19-07-2009, 12:02 AM
It's 2U, not 1U.

Still a very compact amplifier for 2U isn't it. I think this is a very detailed and very well thought out review here. What do you think of his review Solitaire Entertainments?

Thanks for posting matey ;) :)

Best wishes,

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Still a very compact amplifier for 2U isn't it. I think this is a very detailed and very well thought out review here. What do you think of his review Solitaire Entertainments?

Thanks for posting matey ;) :)

Best wishes,

Neil.

What exactly are you on about?

What amplifier? As far as I'm aware this thread is about an SD card player.

Excalibur
19-07-2009, 02:27 PM
What exactly are you on about?

Look lads, I'm prepared to accept that it's not certain how big it is, but can you at least agree What it is please? :confused:

Starlight
19-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm some what very confused :eek: DJ Max G wrote:

Then you wrote:

Max, it's 2U.

I presumed the conversations were about a 2U amplifier the way DJ Max G wrote it out and the way you replied to his post.

Can people be more clear in their posts please?

Thank you.

Neil.

Starlight
19-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Look lads, I'm prepared to accept that it's not certain how big it is, but can you at least agree What it is please? :confused:

Looks like another member is some what confused too :p ;) :D

Sort it out lads! :D :)

Neil.

Starlight
19-07-2009, 03:21 PM
While wandering around the DJ show (Clive / CRS1's) in January, I was contemplating the possibility of a digital playout controller; I already have had, for a few years, laptops with OTSDJ; however I invariably get bored with moving the mouse around and revert to CDs once the party gets started.

So the solution was to find a hands-on controller to eliminate CDs to the realms of backup only - such an item for OTSDJ is hard to come by! The Hercules controller, as far as I can tell, has no screen at all, you will have to look at the laptop to see what's going on... and No Thank You I don't want to abandon my beloved, stable, user-friendly OTSDJ for something else!

So, let's get Denon controllers out of the way first - seen 'em, tried 'em, and I don't like 'em. If you have one and like it, good for you; I have Mackie SRM450s and like those but accept that there are plenty of people who will deride me for my choice.

So, please accept that I'm not about to punt out a grand for a Denon bundle, and let's move on, shall we...? :p

I did have a look at the Numark system at the show - very tempting but was told in a quiet aside that a new version was imminent with a mixer built-in, and Lo! Just today an email pops in telling me all about the Numark HD mix - only a grand with keyboard and flightcase...

...so in the end I got a top deal from Clive (CRS1) on an American DJ SDJ-2 player.

Take it out of the box - it is a 3U standalone racking device with twin screens, jog wheels - basically everything you have with a CD controller; in the middle is a basic mixer, plus two card slots and a USB slot. At the back is power input, microphone input, and two outputs - you can either take two separate outputs into two channels of your main mixer - or take just one output into one channel of your mixer, and use the onboard mixer and headphone socket for mixing purposes - a quick push of the 'Mixed Source' button enables or disables this as required.

For my own setup - I took one output into channel one of my American DJ Q-2422 mixer, leaving channels 2 & 3 free for CD decks - and also utilising the handy option of a selector switch on channel 3 to switch between CD deck 2, my laptop, or an iPod according to what I want to play from!

Back to the SDJ-2; two slots take an SD memory card; this model claims to support up to 16 Gig cards, but I have stuck with a selection of 2 and 4 Gb cards, tell you why in a moment... and in the middle is the big bonus, a USB slot. Into this you can input an external hard drive or - a USB memory stick. Very handy for guest DJs or for gigs where the client wants to bring a track or two along themselves.

You select between cards or USB device with a single button by each 'deck' - lights by the button show you which source that 'deck' is playing from. You can cue up and play from the same device at the same time.

Now the extra bit - there are two control knobs with each deck as well - entitled 'Folder' and 'Title'. You can organise your MP3 files in folders (one level only) on your PC with the supplied SD card adaptor - drag & drop or cut & paste as you like - then once in the SDJ-2 you use the 'Folder' knob to scroll through them. Once you have settled on a folder, you use the 'Title' knob to scroll through the files until you find your chosen track.

Very easy and simple - at my last burlesque night I showed this to a guest DJ - a blonde female with very little experience of DJing - she got it straight away and DJ'd her 1 hour set from a USB stick she had prepared earlier!

However! If you have a huge database - e.g. 16 gig card / external hard drive, you will have to scroll through the lot in order, there is no shortcut other than strategic storage in folders; i.e. if you want to play a track by ELO and you have 500 tracks in your folder labelled 'E', you will have to start at the top and scroll from Ea(gles?) through 200-odd tracks to get to the one you want - hence my targetting of smaller cards with popular tracks.

And - NO search facility by keyword... not even a 'Fast Forward' button to get you through the intro of 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' a bit faster!

Final Warning! There is NOTHING to stop you accidentally popping out a card or USB stick while it is playing, resulting in the dead air / slow handclap / jeering associated with such events, best to stick with just one set of cards for the evening or make absolutely sure you are ejecting the correct card when swapping one over!

Cueing - if you are using your main mixer with 2 channels then it's business as usual; but if you are cueing from the SDJ-2's mixer, there are no level meters with the mixer (coming on the SDJ-3?) and there is an infuriatingly tiny 'Pan' knob that moves the headphone mix from one channel to the other for cueing purposes.

There is, however, a 'Q Start' function (= fader start) on the onboard mixer for such things, and the crossfader itself is every bit as superb as the one on my main mixer.

Also - it doesn't allow you to create playlists or store them; It is essentially like DJing with CDs but without the disc being involved in the operation. This is exactly what suits me - with my laptop as a database, for playlists or for quick searching for requests, and the CDs as backup to all of that.

So I have retained my hands-on DJing but changed 2-3 large boxes of CDs for a SD memory card case which goes into my pocket plus a small CD wallet with a few Now / general party compilations; I will still take the boxes to the venue but can leave them in the van as backup for the unlikely event of both SDJ-2 and laptop failing at the same time.

Power cuts / sound limiters - the SDJ powers up in a couple of seconds and cues tracks in about the same time. Main mixer failure? I can connect the SDJ-2 direct to the rack and use the onboard mixer to get me by.

Overall, very recommended if you like a hands-on system that requires you to use your brain for the evening's musical selections (as with CDs) and also good if you don't like all the carrying in of CD boxes, and want to retain a degree of separation of playout options in case of equipment failure.

Not recommended if you want to go totally digital, create and run playlists, have a huge collection of tracks on one source or to be able to search for a track.

Can be had very easily for around the £250 mark if you let Google in your life when shopping around... SD cards around the 5 quid mark.

Here's the console with the SDJ-2 at the bottom, Q-2422 above and controller for KAM decks above that:

http://www.slingshot.uk.com/fd/photos/fdr_console_140209.jpg

Thanks for posting this review mate :D :beer1: Must of taken you hours to write it all up!

What do you think of his review Solitaire Entertainments :D ?

Thank you,

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for posting this review mate :D :beer1: Must of taken you hours to write it all up!

What do you think of his review Solitaire Entertainments :D ?

Thank you,

Neil.

Why are you asking me for Neil? Is it supposed to be funny? :confused:

Starlight
19-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Is it supposed to be funny? :confused:

:confused: Pardon? I'm just asking you for your thoughts on the guys review :D ;) :)

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-07-2009, 11:55 PM
:confused: Pardon? I'm just asking you for your thoughts on the guys review :D ;) :)

Neil.

And why would you ask me twice for and keep going on about it? If I wish to comment then I will. I have no ideas what you are on about with amplifiers as this thread is about a SD card reader. Is that clear enough for you?

Starlight
20-07-2009, 12:11 AM
And why would you ask me twice for and keep going on about it? If I wish to comment then I will. I have no ideas what you are on about with amplifiers as this thread is about a SD card reader. Is that clear enough for you?

I'm not going to get in a heated debate about this. All I recall DJ Max G saying is that the amplifier is 1U and you then replied no, it's 2U. So, that's why I presumed the topic was based on an amplifier. I just wish people would be more clear and accurate in their posts because it's confused me well and truly and another member.

I simply asked you what you thought of the guys review in a
civilised, none obtrusive way. What's wrong with that :D ;)?

It's now 100% clear that this topic is about an sd card machine :D :) back on topic :p :D ;)

Best wishes,

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm not going to get in a heated debate about this. All I recall DJ Max G saying is that the amplifier is 1U and you then replied no, it's 2U. So, that's why I presumed the topic was based on an amplifier. I just wish people would be more clear and acurate in their posts because it's confused me well and truly and another member.

And I will repeat this one more time. Read the thread. There is no confusion by me or anyone else. Peter was joking. It is about an SD card reader. Max compared it to an amplifier. End of story.

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 08:11 AM
And I will repeat this one more time. Read the thread. There is no confusion by me or anyone else. Peter was joking. It is about an SD card reader. Max compared it to an amplifier. End of story.

He was of course. :D :D :D There are those of us who thought that the title which referred to a card reader as opposed to an amplifier gave a very hefty clue. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sapphire Disco
20-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Blimey I only wanted to know if anyone else used the SDJ-2 model as to me it seems the perfect back up because of it's apparent reliability and it's own built in mixer, which would be handy should your main mixer fail , any other thoughts on this is it user friendly ? and by the way the SDJ-2 Model is 3U :D

Starlight
20-07-2009, 01:13 PM
the SDJ-2 Model is 3U :D

Oh here we go :p :D :lol: Are you sure now :p :Laugh:

Neil.

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh here we go :p :D :lol: Are you sure now :p :Laugh:

Neil.

Max, the ADJ Media Operator is 1U, as Daz has mentioned, the SDJ 1 is 2U, and the SDJ 2 for reference is 3U.
And which part of that leaves any room for doubt or confusion? :confused: When in doubt, read all the thread. ;)

hxpro
30-10-2009, 08:42 PM
i got the sdj1 that i won at bpm last year gonna keep it as a back up and maybe get rid of my hercules rmx because its not rackmoutable and get another digital controller

Ouch...
Do a search you can get rack years for the RMX so it fits as a 19"

Regards.
Mike

DJMaxG
01-11-2009, 04:35 AM

Click Here (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR322823)

:p :p :p

Shaun
02-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Link dead

Jiggles
02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Not anymore Shaun. :sj:

DJMaxG
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Not anymore Shaun. :sj:

did I miss something out Cal?

Adam_F
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Your not getting commission :p

DJMaxG
03-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Your not getting commission :p

You can knock it off when I submit a large order, no problem there :loco:

pagan_flame
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Blimey I only wanted to know if anyone else used the SDJ-2 model as to me it seems the perfect back up because of it's apparent reliability and it's own built in mixer, which would be handy should your main mixer fail , any other thoughts on this is it user friendly ? and by the way the SDJ-2 Model is 3U :D

Blimey what have I started here... :eek:

Anyhow, it's still my primary playout, no plans to change that... it's been 100% reliable at every gig this year with no problems of any kind. I haven't played a CD at a (mobile!) gig for 3 months now, but still do 90% of my night hands-on.

On other nights I have hosted, guest DJs have used it and have also found it very easy to use (and they very much like being able to come and do a DJ set with just a USB stick!)

Random sample photo as proof:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b9JsIjvd-QU/SY436ycRxGI/AAAAAAAAAVY/j8JugNnMxZw/1806_BnGH310109_DJs.jpg

As far as I am concerned - STILL 100% recommended. Thanks Clive. :D :beer1:

pagan_flame
09-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Hold on a minute... I've just re-read my first post:

Take it out of the box - it is a 3U standalone racking device

There is a widely known ani-gif featuring Samuel L Jackson that I would love to post just now, except I would be sin-binned for so doing... cheers damian

thex-faders
16-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Just a quick add on to this review. Recently bought an SDJ2 and they are really excellant for a backup unit. Not sure if its a default setting or just what the previous DJ had set up but when i took it out of the box powered up and put some songs onto the sd card. I used the mixed output feature to utilise the mixer ...
However the crossfader didnt work...
Pressed various buttons and tried the fader starts and everything. But still the crossfader would not work. So eventually... i read the manual!

Found there is a setting menu by holding down the Folder Button. This then enables you to change certain settings... such if the crossfader is On or OFF! No really sure why this would be needed?

But anyhow, if anyone else experiances this initial problem when gettin and SDJ2 take a look at the settings!

Cheers
Tom

Jambo
16-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi Guys

I am seriously considering one of these as for the money and considering the reviews it looks like a really good back up system!

I am also considering getting a American Audio DJ DP2 USB Media Controller to replace my crap BCD2000 which works OK but I really dont like the feel of it and if I am going to go back to Djing properly then I really need to think about getting something more robust than the BCD2000.

I like the idea of them being 19" rack mountable as I have an SKB Gig Rig set up so basically roll it into the venue, connect up the speakers and off you go!

Has anyone got any experience of the DJ DP2 Controller?

flatliners
18-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Guys

I am seriously considering one of these as for the money and considering the reviews it looks like a really good back up system!

I am also considering getting a American Audio DJ DP2 USB Media Controller to replace my crap BCD2000 which works OK but I really dont like the feel of it and if I am going to go back to Djing properly then I really need to think about getting something more robust than the BCD2000.

I like the idea of them being 19" rack mountable as I have an SKB Gig Rig set up so basically roll it into the venue, connect up the speakers and off you go!

Has anyone got any experience of the DJ DP2 Controller?

i have the dp2 and an sdj 1 with an american dj q record mixer in a flight case and it looks the bizz
the dp2 is a nice well thought out controller you should go to a shop and have a demo

pagan_flame
01-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Pressed various buttons and tried the fader starts and everything. But still the crossfader would not work. So eventually... i read the manual!

Found there is a setting menu by holding down the Folder Button. This then enables you to change certain settings... such if the crossfader is On or OFF! No really sure why this would be needed?

But anyhow, if anyone else experiances this initial problem when gettin and SDJ2 take a look at the settings!

Cheers
Tom

Each and every time I switch mine on I have to do that to set it play 'Single' and not 'Continuous', so it doesn't just carry on to the next track on the card...

... And my SDJ-2 is also now relegated to backup status, as I have got myself a 2nd hand Numark D2 Director... and No I'm Not Selling the SDJ-2 or the D2! :D

yourdj
01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b9JsIjvd-QU/SY436ycRxGI/AAAAAAAAAVY/j8JugNnMxZw/1806_BnGH310109_DJs.jpg:

Sod the back up system i want me one of these :p

how much does she cost - can you get them from ebay :confused:

OllieJames
01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
how much does she cost :confused:

Hopefully not very much :D

deltic
01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
bought one of these last week to see what all the fuss was about:)

cracking little machine for the money

will be used mainly for kids party's,and double up as a bit of back up.

yourdj
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Hopefully not very much :D

I have had a look and there are no UK stockists for this product.

Not sure what the import tax would be :p

sweetie
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I have had a look and there are no UK stockists for this product.

Not sure what the import tax would be :p

got mine from discoworld

DJMaxG
07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
got mine from discoworld

I got My SDJ 1 from there at their stand at the BPM show

DeckstarDeluxe
07-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I got My SDJ 1 from there at their stand at the BPM show

thought you didnt go to bpm.........? Going this year then?

DJMaxG
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I went one year, and from what I have gathered, these shows seem to be pretty similar each time round, so I probably won't be going for a while.

Starlight
10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
I probably won't be going for a while.
Lightweight :lol: :p :D

Neil.

DJMaxG
11-05-2010, 12:00 AM
ha

mspritch
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Each and every time I switch mine on I have to do that to set it play 'Single' and not 'Continuous', so it doesn't just carry on to the next track on the card...

Has this little "feature" been fixed on the newer firmware? My sister's a singer who currently uses a couple of MiniDiscs for backing tracks, with her laptop used for any tracks that she doesn't have on MD yet.

Was thinking of getting her an SD player as a birthday/Christmas present, having seen an excellent singer (Ray Carter) using one a few weeks back.

The SDJ-1 is out (I assume the "update UI" issue is a design flaw that could hit any of them, like the 3 red lights on an Xbox 3).

The SDJ-2 is a possibility, but ONLY if "single" mode can be saved permanently, this is how her MD player's set. If she'd have to change it every time she switches on, that's a showstopper.