PDA

View Full Version : Geni DM4 & Smart Scan 2's

djgordyp
27-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I Just aquired a Geni Digi Master lighting controller to run my 2 Prosound scanners. I.m not sure if I am doing something wrong (quite possible) or there is something wrong with the controller (there seems to be something loose inside it).

When I fisrt took it out of the box I decided to try it with one scanner first. I set Dip switch 1 on the dm4 to on and all others off. Plugged in the scanner and the controller came on as well. The led beside the buttons p1 & p4 were lit. Pressing or pressing and holding any of these buttons had no effect. led 1 beside the assign button was flashing and PASt (meaning paste) was showing on the display. When I pressed the assign button led 2 started flashing and CHAS2 showed on the display. Pressing this button again didn't do anything.

Pressing either of the two blue buttons did nothing. Pressing the red button changed the display to manu. Pressing the button again had no effect.

I can't take the unit apart to find out what is rattling inside because I would need a small jewellers screwdriver which I don't think I have.

By the way I had to use the 5 pin plug directly into the scanner as I only have one 3 pin lead to connect the two lights.

Sorry for the lengthy post but hopefully I have described the problem well enough for someone to help.

Thanks in advance

Dynamic Entertainment
27-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Gordon. Im not sure if theres something loose, like i said, i got it and never bothered getting past looking at the manual with it.

If you do get inside and its shot, give me a shout and ill send you the money back over.

Regards

Steve

djgordyp
27-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Steve. Very good of you to offer. I'll have a good look at it first. Might not get a chance tomorrow, have a few last minute things to do before tomorrow night (as well as the shopping:) ). I'll also need to buy a set of those small screwdrivers to get the box open.
Would you believe it. I haven't even had these lights out on the road yet and a second bulb just blew on me this evening.

djgordyp
08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Steve, thought you might like to know that I managed to get the dmx controller working (sort of).

The device actually consists of two circuit boards with 3 sockets that connect to three sets of pins. The only thing I can think was wrong is that someone had taken it apart before and the sockets weren't making a good connection with the pins.

I only tried this with one of my smart scans. Reason being, the night before my first gig the lamp holder in the other one decided to crack.

I had a heck of a job getting the controller to work with the light. With the help of youtube and jamesb1919, I found out that the DIP settings that work are:- 1,2,5,6, off 3 and 4 on. The only drawback is that you need to use page 1 and page 2 to use all six channels.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Glad youve kind of got it working pal. Maybe explains why i gave up after 10 minutes with the manual if it had been fiddled with. :)

nigelwright7557
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi Gordon. Im not sure if theres something loose, like i said, i got it and never bothered getting past looking at the manual with it.

If you do get inside and its shot, give me a shout and ill send you the money back over.

Regards

Steve

Come on Steve fancy dumping duff gear on the bloke ! :D
Thats what ebay is for !

Dynamic Entertainment
09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Come on Steve fancy dumping duff gear on the bloke ! :D
Thats what ebay is for !

Yeah...Fleabay was here i got it. Had i understood the manual then i may have figured that the damn thing had been opened up.:o