PDA

View Full Version : Starting in Digital

davidja
28-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Can someone give me a heads up on what kit most are using, I am setting my 16 yr old son up to ultimately do commercial gigs.
I believe PCDJ and Traktor Pro are the dominant brands - whats the difference or is it purely personal preference?
With regard to digital deck's what are the dominant models?
Thanks

Vectis
28-02-2009, 12:22 PM
You'll sure stir up some debate with this question :o

Laptop -vs- Dedicated hardware controller being the first no doubt.

Before heading off down the digital path though, you need to be fully aware of THIS (http://www.produb.co.uk) as it will add significant cost (and I think I read on another thread the start-up budget was fairly low).
:beer1:

Grahame Case
28-02-2009, 12:34 PM
You'll sure stir up some debate with this question :o

Laptop -vs- Dedicated hardware controller being the first no doubt.

Before heading off down the digital path though, you need to be fully aware of THIS (http://www.produb.co.uk) as it will add significant cost (and I think I read on another thread the start-up budget was fairly low).

i've just gone digital and in the past 10 minutes have just parted with £250 of my hard earned for my produb licence. Not a route i would advise going down lightheartedly.

Cj_The_Dj
28-02-2009, 12:35 PM
i use pcdj red and love it, i use it with a mp3 contoller like this one
http://www.agiprodj.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/dac2.jpg but mines numark, i find it easy to use and easyer to read then a small screen on a hardware controller

davidja
28-02-2009, 01:21 PM
With regard to Budget - Like all things it keep's growing.....
We've already blown £500 on lights. I expect to spend something similar on the digital side.
The software that he's trialling is Traktor scratch Pro, seems pretty good. He already has a very expensive interface, so I guess the other missing part is the deck, the two we have looked at are the Numark DMC2 and the Vestax VCI 100. Just need a little direction.
Cheers

pagan_flame
28-02-2009, 02:12 PM
OTSDJ. Never once has it let me down in any way, shape or form - and is supremely user friendly...

...running on an antique Compaq P4 laptop with 512Mb RAM / Windows 2000!

http://www.otsdj.com

Free 30 day trial, start at 30 dollars for OTS Turntables...

yourdj
28-02-2009, 02:22 PM
doubt.

Do you need a pro dub if your not backing up and playing straight from the downloaded source (ie laptop hardrive)

If not then tractor etc. and a good laptop is the best bet on budget. I use an Apple powerbook and it has not crashed once in 4 years.

Other wise use a controller like the Denon DNHD 2500.
Do not go for cheap imitations when it comes to controllers.

flatliners
28-02-2009, 03:16 PM
why dont you try sam party dj for him to have a play around on dose whats its supposed to and thats play music

Dynamic Entertainment
28-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I use Serato Scratch Live. It basically acts as a virtual record box/cd collection. You still need the mixer and cd players as it uses time-coded control cds.

The advantage is that if the laptop dies, you have the backup of a full cd playout system, and if the cd players die you have a internal playout system in the software that will get you through the night. Only extra thing you need is a spare mixer for if your main one dies. :)

rob1963
28-02-2009, 08:39 PM
i've just gone digital and in the past 10 minutes have just parted with £250 of my hard earned for my produb licence. Not a route i would advise going down lightheartedly.

Surely it's worth £4.80 a week for the convenience of digital DJing compared to the alternative?

I would recommend a hard drive controller, as it's specifically designed for mobile discos, whereas a laptop is not.

nigelwright7557
28-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Surely it's worth £4.80 a week for the convenience of digital DJing compared to the alternative?

Depends how many gigs your doing.
I take one on every month or so, which means pro dub is prohibitively expensive, so I stick to CD's.

They need to come up with a better low end such as £25 a year for say 500 tracks put onto a different format.

Surely £25 a year from me is better than the current zero pounds?

Grahame Case
28-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Depends how mnay gigs your doing.
I take one on every month or so which means pro dub is prohibitively expensive so I stick to CD's.

They need to come up with a better low end such as £25 a year for say 500 tracks put onto a different format.

but of course Nigel, even with one gig a month, you still have fixed costs of music, insurance and pat testing to consider.

Steve the DJ
28-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I would recommend a hard drive controller, as it's specifically designed for mobile discos, whereas a laptop is not.

Laptops by their very nature are designed to be moved and used "on the go" so are far more robust than most people imagine.

A hard drive/midi controller alongside a laptop with a good quality software package on really is a very sensible solution for DJs and allows you to offer music, karaoke and video, even if you don't do so initially.

nigelwright7557
28-02-2009, 09:54 PM
but of course Nigel, even with one gig a month, you still have fixed costs of music, insurance and pat testing to consider.

I do my own PAT testing.
As yet I dont have insurance, I setup before people arrive and packup after they have all gone to reduce any risks.

I do try to keep up with music where i can, but tend to buy better known tracks rather than every track.

Vectis
28-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I setup before people arrive and packup after they have all gone to reduce any risks.

<tumbleweed_on>

(VV was last seen legging down the road near his house screaming)

</tumbleweed_on>

Tom
28-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Laptops by their very nature are designed to be moved and used "on the go" so are far more robust than most people imagine.

A hard drive/midi controller alongside a laptop with a good quality software package on really is a very sensible solution for DJs and allows you to offer music, karaoke and video, even if you don't do so initially.

I dont see why someone cant design an OS just for dj's, nothing else. That means that no other programs will need to be run at all, making it more stable than microsoft.

I know there is a laptop type machine on the market already but would be a good idea if anyone with any laptop could buy the software and job done.

Vectis
28-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I dont see why someone cant design an OS just for dj's, nothing else.

They have. It's the firmware that runs on the various dedicated players.

As for 'more stable than Microshaft' I ran OTS on an old XP machine for about 3 years without a single issue with hard or software.

I'm just about to try it out on an Eeetop - with the touch screen interface - running alongside Daslight as main playout for a regular corporate booking where a tiny rig is needed. Will let you know how I get along!

Tom
28-02-2009, 10:52 PM
They have. It's the firmware that runs on the various dedicated players.

As for 'more stable than Microshaft' I ran OTS on an old XP machine for about 3 years without a single issue with hard or software.

I'm just about to try it out on an Eeetop - with the touch screen interface - running alongside Daslight as main playout for a regular corporate booking where a tiny rig is needed. Will let you know how I get along!

You ran OTS in xp. What I mean is a dedicated operating system which just runs 1 program, nothing else. Nothing to do with microsoft, or even apple. You turn on the pc or laptop and the software loads, nothing else.

I remember Darren saying when he uses or used to use a laptop. He only ran the basic files to keep the os working then use his software of choice. Worked quite well I remember.

If you think of dedicated controllers. They only do one thing, and thats to play music. This is what i mean but you use a laptop instead.

Vectis
28-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Ah right. Yes I used XP, but I also (like Darren) uninstalled all the bit of garbage that M$ loads up by default, canned all manner of unnecessary services, deinstalled drivers for hardware that wasn't going to be used (eg bluetooth adaptors) etc. etc.

Not hard to do - there's plenty of googleable copy on this.

yourdj
01-03-2009, 01:07 AM
why dont you try sam party dj for him to have a play around on dose whats its supposed to and thats play music

you what? :beer1:

Well said. Its good to have a variety of approaches especially for different tasks such as music, karaoke, visuals, DMX control etc.

I have dropped my laptop many times and it still works fine although dented in many places. It is also my smallest piece of equipment but also my most important.

DJ James Lake
01-03-2009, 04:05 AM
One comment I would like to make that no one ever mentions is that the laptop route is I believe more sensible in the long term.

Controllers come and go and some may be in favour at the moment, but there will always be the next model round the corner and then you have a choice, stick with what you have or buy the new one at great expense.

Software is always cheaper, and will with no doubt give you more, than hardware and will run on most decent specced laptops or towers. Yes you will have to upgrade a computer from time to time and there is cost involved but if you look at that compared to the costs of a new dedicated controller and far less.

My advice would be to go for a laptop and some sort of midi controller which can be remapped to any dj software that way you are future proof.

Forget the hardware devices like the denon, numark etc, they will be out of date in no time.

Another point to consider with your son being 16 is the kind of dj he wants to become he may want to mix and go for the club dj route in which case it would be better to go down the laptop with timecode control route in which case your looking at denon or pioneer cd decks and either serato or traktor scratch pro or PCDJ VJ.

Vectis
01-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Forget the hardware devices like the denon, numark etc, they will be out of date in no time.

I feel I must disagree with this particular comment.

What's THE SINGULAR most important aspect of a mobile DJ's performance?
Surely the music?

With a hardware device you have a rock solid dependable playout mechanism. Feed it bog-standard mp3 format or wav files and away you go.

Laptops are great if you're looking for features not found on the hardware players or if you're constantly chasing the latest and greatest software versions but for the basis of a mobile disco I'd treat a laptop as a secondary device only to a hardware controller.

I've used mp3 playout via laptop for approaching 10 years and until going down the hardware device route I was always paranoid about version control, keeping the device off LANs and internet, always carrying a duplicate backup device etc. etc.

Now I have 99.9% faith in my hardware device which in the last 2 years has only had one hissy fit and that was caused by a corrupt mp3 file. 20 second reboot, all fixed. As it happens I also had a laptop on standby so apart from a very quiet few seconds the party carried on regardless.

So, for me, it's laptops for lighting control, database manipulation, background & backup music, video etc. and a dedicated device for main playout.

rob1963
01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Software is always cheaper, and will with no doubt give you more, than hardware and will run on most decent specced laptops or towers. Yes you will have to upgrade a computer from time to time and there is cost involved but if you look at that compared to the costs of a new dedicated controller and far less.

You seem to be suggesting that most people with hard drive controllers will always buy the latest model when it comes out, which I don't think is the case.

If their existing controller does what they want, I don't see why they would replace it, unless they are in the minority of "gear snobs" who always want to have the latest & most expensive stuff.

For example, how many people changed their Numark D2 last year when its replacement, the DDS80 came out? As far as I know, not many. I certainly don't remember any D2 owners on the forum saying they'd do this.

Regardless of what new controllers come out, I fully expect to be using my D2 until I reture in 4 or 5 years.

I feel I must disagree with this particular comment.

What's THE SINGULAR most important aspect of a mobile DJ's performance?
Surely the music?

With a hardware device you have a rock solid dependable playout mechanism. Feed it bog-standard mp3 format or wav files and away you go.

:agree:

ppentertainments
01-03-2009, 10:46 AM
If their existing controller does what they want, I don't see why they would replace it, unless they are in the minority of "gear snobs" who always want to have the latest & most expensive stuff.

If we are talking about DJ's I think you need to change the 'minority' to 'MAJORITY' :eek:

Corabar Steve
01-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Depends how many gigs your doing.
I take one on every month or so, which means pro dub is prohibitively expensive, so I stick to CD's.

Surely £25 a year from me is better than the current zero pounds?
Don't talk rot!

When you break it down like Rob did, it's the cost of a packet of cigarrettes or 1 1/2 pints of beer a week. Can't you afford that???

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I remember Darren saying when he uses or used to use a laptop. He only ran the basic files to keep the os working then use his software of choice. Worked quite well I remember

Indeed.

Ah right. Yes I used XP, but I also (like Darren) uninstalled all the bit of garbage that M$ loads up by default, canned all manner of unnecessary services, deinstalled drivers for hardware that wasn't going to be used (eg bluetooth adaptors) etc. etc.

I think I posted something on the forum a while back about optimising your machine for music.

Controllers come and go and some may be in favour at the moment, but there will always be the next model round the corner and then you have a choice, stick with what you have or buy the new one at great expense.

My advice would be to go for a laptop and some sort of midi controller which can be remapped to any dj software that way you are future proof.

And so are computers then. What's the difference between keeping a laptop with the same software on and keeping a hard drive player?

rob1963
01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
When you break it down like Rob did, it's the cost of a packet of cigarrettes or 1 1/2 pints of beer a week.

Make that a packet of cigarettes AND a pound change!

:eek:

Corabar Steve
01-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Where can you get fags for £3.80?

DJ James Lake
01-03-2009, 04:27 PM
And so are computers then. What's the difference between keeping a laptop with the same software on and keeping a hard drive player?

I already mentioned that in my post.

You seem to be suggesting that most people with hard drive controllers will always buy the latest model when it comes out, which I don't think is the case.

For example, how many people changed their Numark D2 last year when its replacement, the DDS80 came out? As far as I know, not many. I certainly don't remember any D2 owners on the forum saying they'd do this.

Regardless of what new controllers come out, I fully expect to be using my D2 until I reture in 4 or 5 years.

:agree:
How many users are replacing there D2's I can think of at least one person on the forums but thats not the point. Look back a year on the site and everyone was raving about Cortex units where are they all now. DJs do change kit often and if something will do the job better most tend to upgrade.

My main point was that a laptop and software system gives a lot more flexibility in choice in the long run. You can chop and change software very easily as newer and better software comes along. I personally have gone from Traktor to Traktor Scratch to Traktor Scratch Pro and now PCDJ VJ all on the same laptop.

If you buy a hardware controller you're stuck with it or you upgrade take a huge hit on resale value and pay the big expense.

rob1963
01-03-2009, 05:19 PM
When you break it down like Rob did, it's the cost of a packet of cigarrettes

Make that a packet of cigarettes AND a pound change!

Where can you get fags for £3.80?

Sorry Steve, I think I worded that wrongly.

I meant that the £4.80 equivilent weekly charge of a produb is a pound LESS than what you'd spend on a packet of cigarettes.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-03-2009, 05:38 PM
If you buy a hardware controller you're stuck with it or you upgrade take a huge hit on resale value and pay the big expense.

So everyone on here has the same laptop and software that they did 5 years ago then do they?

I certainly don't.

Excalibur
01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
So everyone on here has the same laptop and software that they did 5 years ago then do they?

I certainly don't.

My laptop is leased. ( I may or may not have fallen for a pitch in the showroom. :confused: :D :D ) I was advised to change it for a new one before the contract expires, thus keeping it up to date. (Again, may be a sales pitch, but I can see the logic).

As to Controllers, there are basically the same four on the market as there were a while ago. ( D2 is now effectively DDS80) and as I see it, nobody has plans for a new model. I'd say it's probably the one item which folk DON'T wish to change every five minutes.

Steve the DJ
01-03-2009, 06:44 PM

I certainly don't.

Errr...guilty as charged... :o

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Errr...guilty as charged... :o

My point is though, lots of DJs will have changed their laptop/PC whatever, so there's no difference between that and upgrading to a different media controller.

DazzyD
10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I retire my gigging laptops after three years. And this is about 2 years longer than some people I know! My business admin systems get upgraded annually but that's because I continually update my DJ booking software (that I've designed and programmed myself). There's always something new to add in or tweak (and one day it'll be perfect and I'll have nothing more to do and get bored!). I also update my business software annually to take advantage of enhancements and advancements.

Also, I try out new playout software all the time. I've just updated my Vista-based system to Traktor DJ Studio 3 as this seems to be happier with Vista than BPM.

superspindiscos
11-03-2009, 01:56 PM
No need to spend thousands if your just starting out - nice laptop pcdj red or even pcdj vj - with a dac 3 controller i reckon you could do that for around £800 or so all in.......as for pro dub dont waste your cash .............

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
No need to spend thousands if your just starting out - nice laptop pcdj red or even pcdj vj - with a dac 3 controller i reckon you could do that for around £800 or so all in.......as for pro dub dont waste your cash .............

I hope you're not advising someone to do something illegally.

DazzyD
13-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Unless you've replaced your music library with legally downloaded tracks stored straight to your playout device/hard-drive (like me!) then to use the laptop with any software you'll need the ProDub.

Unless, of course, you're playing CDs through the laptop through PCDJ (don't know about PCDJ but you can do this with BPM although I wouldn't recommend it in a live working environment - bad things can happen! ;) )

DJMaxG
20-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Can someone give me a heads up on what kit most are using, I am setting my 16 yr old son up to ultimately do commercial gigs.
I believe PCDJ and Traktor Pro are the dominant brands - whats the difference or is it purely personal preference?
With regard to digital deck's what are the dominant models?
Thanks

I have to be honest, I use CD's, but I am converting every new CD into digital (WAV) Format onto my external HD.

Serato stratch Live and Traktor Stratch / Pro are a couple of reputable programs. A Lot of the Mobile DJs like Virtual DJ / PCDJ as is it cost effective, and not too complexed.

It depends how serious the person is about it, and how many effects they want etc. Serato and Traktor can be controlled with Pioneer CDJs and all CD Players or Vinyl using the external soundcard.

Virtual DJ can be controlled by time code and midi as well. However, the effects such as the "Cue" Button will not work the same way as it would with CDs, if you get the gist.

PCDJ Programs use the same engine as Virtual DJ, Numark Cue, etc.

The other digital way, if you don't really want to use a PC, is the hard drive controllers, as listed below. These will read most filetypes (WAV/MP3) from the fitted drive, external HDD, Ipod, flash drive, the list is endless. Basically, anything with USB on the end.

So, really it depends on how much control he wants over the software.

PC Controllers - Dac 3, HC4500, HD2500, Hercules RMX / Steel

HD Controllers - HD2500, MEP 7000, Numark DDS/DDS80.

The main issue is converting all your files into digital format, that would mean ripping each CD individually. Definately worth it in the long run.

thomsonmwdj
16-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Come on, Surely, Virtual DJ is the best and the esiest to use, i have used this for 5 years now, and i WILL NOT use any other.

DJ James Lake
17-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Virtual DJ can be controlled by time code and midi as well. However, the effects such as the "Cue" Button will not work the same way as it would with CDs, if you get the gist.

Where on earth have you got that from?

CRAZY K
17-07-2009, 09:11 AM
I have to be honest, I use CD's, but I am converting every new CD into digital (WAV) Format onto my external HD.

Serato stratch Live and Traktor Stratch / Pro are a couple of reputable programs. A Lot of the Mobile DJs like Virtual DJ / PCDJ as is it cost effective, and not too complexed.

It depends how serious the person is about it, and how many effects they want etc. Serato and Traktor can be controlled with Pioneer CDJs and all CD Players or Vinyl using the external soundcard.

PCDJ Programs use the same engine as Virtual DJ, Numark Cue, etc.

The other digital way, if you don't really want to use a PC, is the hard drive controllers, as listed below. These will read most filetypes (WAV/MP3) from the fitted drive, external HDD, Ipod, flash drive, the list is endless. Basically, anything with USB on the end.

So, really it depends on how much control he wants over the software.

PC Controllers - Dac 3, HC4500, HD2500, Hercules RMX / Steel

HD Controllers - HD2500, MEP 7000, Numark DDS/DDS80.

The main issue is converting all your files into digital format, that would mean ripping each CD individually. Definately worth it in the long run.

Whats the colour of the sky in your world Max???

The Cortex HDC 1000 was one of the first of its kind--and despite a few bad experiences from people who bought new ones with possible problems have proved to be totally reliable if you want a basic cheap no frills playout system.

Mine is 3 years old this Xmas and going strong.

Have you never heard of it---doh!!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY K

rob1963
17-07-2009, 09:22 AM
The Cortex HDC 1000 was one of the first of its kind--and despite a few bad experiences from people who bought new ones with possible problems have proved to be totally reliable if you want a basic cheap no frills playout system.

Mine is 3 years old this Xmas and going strong.

Have you never heard of it---doh!!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY K

No mention of the D2 either.

Just because they stopped making them doesn't mean you can't still get them!

Vectis
17-07-2009, 09:43 AM
No mention of the D2 either.

Just because they stopped making them doesn't mean you can't still get them!

Or the iDJ, iDJ2, SDJ1, SDJ2, HDMIX, iDEC, iCDX, HDC3000, HDTT-5000, HDC500, dMIX300, dMIX600, Tonium Pacemaker , CDJ4000, SEPC1, DN-S3700, MEP7000... ... ... and I'm sure I've missed some :o