PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke MP3/CDG Files Quality

Steve the DJ
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Quick question for the experienced Digital Karaoke jocks out there, I have downloaded some MP3+CDG files from Select-A-Track but they are all 128kbps.

Is this the norm? What quality do you rip discs at?

Are there any issues with using low quality MP3's like this or does the awful singing distract from the file quality? :D

501damian501
03-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Quick question for the experienced Digital Karaoke jocks out there, I have downloaded some MP3+CDG files from Select-A-Track but they are all 128kbps.

Is this the norm? What quality do you rip discs at?

Are there any issues with using low quality MP3's like this or does the awful singing distract from the file quality? :D

128 is an ok bitrate, with bitrates you can balance the quality vs the size and this is what they probley do to save space on a server...

Mark Wild
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
does the awful singing distract from the file quality? :D

Nail on the head mate lol

gazzak
03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I have been running 128kbps mp3+g files for a long time and can't fault the quality of sound at all and have never had any complaints about it.

DazzyD
03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I worked for one of the major players in the technology industry at the dawn of MP3 (and before the standard had even been agreed) and we did a lot of testing and research in to bit-rates. We found that the average ear couldn't distinguish between a CD playing and an MP3 file of the same CD digitized at 128kbps so this became the accepted standard bitrate for CD-quality MP3. So I don't think that sound quality is the biggest issue with MP3+G recorded at 128kbps.

What is important to remember, though, is that the higher the bitrate, the more powerful the system needed to run it. Whilst a basic computer system can reasonably decode MP3 at 128kbps, it takes more processing power to decode 320kbps files. Now, with disco only, this isn't too much of a problem. But with karaoke, the computer also has to decode and play the graphics/video file at the same time which can put a massive strain on a basic system. In fact, one DJ/VJ program I trialled last year (can't remember which it was - might've been OtSAV) recommended at least 2Gb of system RAM to run karaoke/video files. So 128kbps MP3+G files are accessible to more people as they will play better on more systems.

Also, I build my own karaoke files and have found that the higher the bit-rate on the audio, the harder it is to sync both audio and graphic files for successful playing on various systems. So, personally, I stick to 128kbps audio as well.

1st Choice Karaoke
05-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Top answer Dazzy D, have often wondered this myself. Am in the process of copying my karaoke tracks to laptop ready for my launch into the digital age lol... I have already ripped all my Music Cd's to a hard drive at 160kbs. I tried 192 at first but I personally couldn't tell the difference, even at full whack so settled on 160 to save space. I could tell the difference between 128 and 160 though.(And before anyone jumps on it I know about pro-dub ;-) )