PDA

View Full Version : Computer Based System

501damian501
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Hello, This a quick thread, before i nip out :D , what would be the ultimate computer based system for a dj.

i.e massive harddrive 750gb
huge ram ect ect

This is just abit of research to be honest... :D

lets see what replys i get to this one:o

cheers damian

discomobiledj
03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Oodj

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
The ultimate system is one that works for your software and does what it says on the tin.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Obviously RAM is going to play a part, but that depends on which software you want to run on it. It would be pointless going after a quadcore or anything silly like that if your only going to run the one programme off it.

As far as harddrive, I would say you need enough to make the OS and chosen software to run, then its a case of "how longs a peice of string".

Clear as mud eh. What are you wanting to research Damian, chuck us a bone and you may get a better answer IMO :)

Mark Wild
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Would be a :Censored:er for upstair gigs though ! :D

Clear as mud eh. What are you wanting to research Damian, chuck us a bone and you may get a better answer IMO :) :agree:

501damian501
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
building and selling rackmount computers which are good quality and not a fortune for you djs to buy. :D

the only ones i have seen sell upto £1,000, now i think thats abit steep.

but none of them seem to have hotswapable harddrives :confused:

Dynamic Entertainment
03-03-2009, 04:28 PM
In that case ill have one running at 2.5ghz, duocore, with 3 gb Ram, 500gb hard drive and 3 usb ports please. In a 1u case?

501damian501
03-03-2009, 04:33 PM
In that case ill have one running at 2.5ghz, duocore, with 3 gb Ram, 500gb hard drive and 3 usb ports please. In a 1u case?

lol, give me chance to get things ready at least :D and am not awolled to condone to sales, unless its in the dj bids area :D

Dynamic Entertainment
03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
In all seriousness, i would consider one if it was the right spec and price :)

501damian501
03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
In all seriousness, i would consider one if it was the right spec and price :)

good man, :D , hence am researching ;)

djsteve10
03-03-2009, 04:58 PM
All depends on the application such as if the DJ is going to be using lighting software aswell as music playout software. Also take into consideration the requirements for Video Disc Jockeys aswell, We all have our own different requirements and also don't forget budget.

nigelwright7557
03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I wrote my own DJ software and it requires very little memory.
Just enough to hold the contents of the current directory, the playlist and the current file being played.

So that sounds like an AMD6000+ with 2 gigbytes of RAM running Vista Home premium.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I wrote my own DJ software and it requires very little memory.

I thought you used CDs? :confused:

Vectis
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I have a Pentium II IBM Thinkpad with Windows 2000, 256MB RAM and a 10GB HDD happily running OTS Turntables Silver as a backup backup backup machine :)

nigelwright7557
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I thought you used CDs? :confused:

I use CD's out on gigs.

Thought I would have a quick go at writing my own DJ software.
It was worth the trouble just to understand music files a bit better.
I only have a desktop so couldnt take it to gigs.
I usually listen to music at home with my own software.
Its not as good as Microsofts offerings.
Still has a long way to go.

Its pretty simple, the source directory on the left, playlist to the right and a few buttons to start, pause, eject and play. You just click on tracks in the source directory to make them move to the bottom of the playlist.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I use CD's out on gigs.

Thought I would have a quick go at writing my own DJ software.
It was worth the trouble just to understand music files a bit better.
I only have a desktop so couldnt take it to gigs.
I usually listen to music at home with my own software.
Its not as good as Microsofts offerings.
Still has a long way to go.

Its pretty simple, the source directory on the left, playlist to the right and a few buttons to start, pause, eject and play. You just click on tracks in the source directory to make them move to the bottom of the playlist.

Give us some screenshots then :)

nigelwright7557
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM

http://www.ckp-railways.talktalk.net/nigelsdjsoftware.jpg

Mark Wild
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM

O ye of little faith lol ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
O ye of little faith lol ;)

I did believe that he had, just curious as to how it looked :)

Do you think youll make amy more tweaks to it nigel?

nigelwright7557
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
I did believe that he had, just curious as to how it looked :)

Do you think youll make amy more tweaks to it nigel?

Still deciding where to go next with it.

Tom
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
How about more buttons like skip, next track, bpm counter?

Stuff that you would usually find on other dj software. :)

501damian501
04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Can we go back on topic please!

Dynamic Entertainment
04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Can we go back on topic please!

This could be on topic! :D You could work a deal with Nigel to provide the software as part of the hardware. Providing Nigel can/does incorporate all the features a usual digital dj would require :) - A specifically built system that works as intended...... :)

A1DL
04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
IMHO, the ultimate computer based playout system would be along the lines of a Denon HC4500 controller interface (familiar twin CD-player user surface) connected to a 2u rack mount twin drive unit (like the Glyph units, although they are firewire hence won't work with the USB Denon controller)

The rack mount unit would include separate PSUs and mirrored disks for redundancy, and it would be easy to copy CDs and track/artist data onto the drives, without having to key manually or connect to a web based database.

The system would be free of "home" style ac power pack adapters, hard disk drives, etc and would require no understanding or interest in computers, operating systems or software to make it function.

Excalibur
04-03-2009, 05:47 PM
IMHO, the ultimate computer based playout system would be along the lines of a Denon HC4500 controller interface (familiar twin CD-player user surface) connected to a 2u rack mount twin drive unit (like the Glyph units, although they are firewire hence won't work with the USB Denon controller)

The rack mount unit would include separate PSUs and mirrored disks for redundancy, and it would be easy to copy CDs and track/artist data onto the drives, without having to key manually or connect to a web based database.

The system would be free of "home" style ac power pack adapters, hard disk drives, etc and would require no understanding or interest in computers, operating systems or software to make it function.
I think we're on a winner here. ;) Tony designs and specifies it, Nigel writes the software, and Damian bolts it together. I'll have one when you've built it.

501damian501
05-03-2009, 03:33 PM
sounds interesting... :D

am still doing research into this, trust me am on to a winner,

tests will start soon to see how different dj and vj softwares cope on 2 different machines

one being INTEL and one being AMD.

also 32bit and 64bit.

Jiggles
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Intel on a 64 OS all the way! Seeing as a 64 bit OS is future proofing it a bit.

501damian501
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Intel on a 64 OS all the way! Seeing as a 64 bit OS is future proofing it a bit.

but the software is still lagging behide...

Jiggles
05-03-2009, 04:07 PM
No not really. Most company's have good 64 bit drivers for the products. Its just the little ones that don't really have the manpower to produce the new drivers for 64 bit. Haven't had a real big problem with finding 64 bit stuff.

discomobiledj
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I think we're on a winner here. ;) Tony designs and specifies it, Nigel writes the software, and Damian bolts it together.

It sounded so good until the end!

Excalibur
06-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Oh ye of little faith. :p :D :D

Tom
06-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Just had a think, this could be quite easy to do.

I think the only custom made parts you would need would be the heat sink for the cpu. Most are quite large, but if you could get a thin one that covers a large area then even better.

The motherboard would have built in sound and graphics card but you have the option of using your own external sound card via the usb on the back.

The only other issue would be the height of the ram when installed on the motherboard. Maby a 1.5u case would be better suited?

Not to sure about the power supply as they are quite large.

Then again, why not use the insides of a laptop instead? I haven't read the thread so I don't know if this has been suggested already. The forum on a blackberry is quite hard to view and look through. Lol. But I do have spell check. Lol.

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
2U case would be a good choice. Lots of room for air circulation.

Tom
06-03-2009, 05:22 PM
2U case would be a good choice. Lots of room for air circulation.

I disagree.

Look at laptops. Everything is close together with only 1 or 2 fans. Works fine.

Mac Mini. Really small unit with only 1 fan I think (my brother has one) and that had no problems with heat.

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeh but most of the components are made for those small enclosures! If you are going for the standard parts then it would be better.

Tom
06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Or do what I did last year, a 1U sliding tray with a laptop. Job done. Nice and simple.

djsteve10
06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
If people are intending to go this small with a PC system why not just invest in a decent media controller such as the Denon Or Pioneer?

501damian501
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
If people are intending to go this small with a PC system why not just invest in a decent media controller such as the Denon Or Pioneer?

but can these systems run dmx software ?

501damian501
06-03-2009, 08:30 PM

:boxer: :hijack:

djsteve10
06-03-2009, 11:02 PM
but can these systems run dmx software ?

All depends on who the user is going to be, Look at Tom, He has a Ryger controller that he programs at home so he doesn't need to take out a pc. Also how many users actually use their lights sound to light and also with a CA-8 controller?

nigelwright7557
06-03-2009, 11:43 PM
It would be pointless going after a quadcore or anything silly like that if your only going to run the one programme off it.

Multi cores mean you can multi thread one program.
Providing the software uses multithreading it can make use of as many cores as it has threads.

I write and sell PC software and one of my programs makes use of 4 threads at once which would be spread amongst the four cores. If the PC has less than four cores then the threads are just time division multiplexed.

I believe the new Intel i7 processor quad core can run 8 threads simultaneously. 2 threads per core.

501damian501
07-03-2009, 12:19 AM
All depends on who the user is going to be, Look at Tom, He has a Ryger controller that he programs at home so he doesn't need to take out a pc. Also how many users actually use their lights sound to light and also with a CA-8 controller?

this shall be different :D

Tom
08-03-2009, 07:34 PM

This is true and boy its much better than taking a laptop. lol.

But having said that I take my laptop to search my database of music so I can find a cd.

Also, I can still hook up the Ryger to the laptop, this then gives me more choice of shows to play.

As for the CA-8, I still use mine on the impossibled and marvled. I even use it on the Dynamos as I havent got round to sorting out shows for them on the Ryger.

Handly little tool incase the Ryger or Laptop goes, so there is my backup. lol.