PDA

View Full Version : Numark Cdn 88 Problem

soundtemptations
05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I have just brought a Numark cdn 88 player of ebay but has arrived and i have a problem with it and wondered if anyone can help.

When i put a cd into the right hand cd player it doesnt seem to read discs and also no buttons work on right hand side of control unit.

If i switch connector leads around the buttons all work on the right hand side of control unit so i am thinkin the problem must be with the cd unit.

Would you think this is the actuall cd and need a new cd tray or a circuit board problem.

SilverlineDiscos
05-03-2009, 08:04 PM
This to me sounds like a signal lead problem. If you say the left hand controller lead works on the right hand side, then get a new controller lead.

Either that, or I mis-understand your problem :)

soundtemptations
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry its my description. No no matter which lead i use the right hand side cd dont read discs and want play. Also which ever side of the unit i connect to the right hand player the controls will not work ie pitch control or effects.

Think i will have to take it to my disco supplies to get it tested.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Did you buy it in working condition? If so, then it sound like you need to contact the seller.

soundtemptations
05-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Well i bought them and when they finally arrived after 2 weeks from wales could of got them quicker from the states. They came with out the connector leads which the seller said didnt come with the players when brough new which is a lie.

I contacted him today and he said they were working fine when he sent them but dont no how he tested when has i say he didnt have the leads that connect the cd unit to the control panel.

Also hes not willing to refund money or help towards the repair costs and also payed him by cheque and not paypal so i dont think there is anything i can do.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I would contact Ebay and see if there is anything you can do. Have you left them feedback yet?

soundtemptations
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah i have negative and also contacted ebay so will see what they say but its just annoying when people sell dodgy items. Teach me in the future to buy new.

nigelwright7557
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
This is a classic ebay "item not as described" problem.
Make a claim via ebay.

SilverlineDiscos
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah unfortunately eBay is a dodgy area unless you know what to look out for. Luckily I haven't had much go wrong (as of yet) but I've had a couple of issues.

nigelwright7557
05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I unfortunately bought one from ebay too.
Lasted one gig then both sides struggled to read CD's.
Tried a cleaning disc and it made no difference.
So I offloaded back onto ebay and was upfront about its problems.
It almost went for what I paid for it !

spin mobile disco
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Check the pins on the control leads are ok as they have a habit of getting bent. Also check that when inserted into the unit that the plug cannot move ( nice tight fit) as they use a quite simple link its quite easy to resolder if loose.

The controller chip in the 3u controller can sometimes be a little loose as well. Jus tpressign the chip firmly in the center may fix the problem.

Corabar Steve
06-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I unfortunately bought one from ebay too.
Lasted one gig then both sides struggled to read CD's.
Tried a cleaning disc and it made no difference.
So I offloaded back onto ebay and was upfront about its problems.
It almost went for what I paid for it !
Oh wow! Deja-vu!
http://planetsmilies.net/vicious-smiley-1759.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Pe7e
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
If you paid for the item with paypal you will be able to get your money back if what you tell us is correct, take the case up with them direct, and don't delay in doing so!! Was it described as fully working, or in good condition, and was the lack of connecting cables mentioned?

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-03-2009, 10:37 AM
If you paid for the item with paypal you will be able to get your money back

Ahem! Pay attention at the back! :p

Also hes not willing to refund money or help towards the repair costs and also payed him by cheque and not paypal so i dont think there is anything i can do.

Pe7e
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, just noticed payed by cheque that puts a different light on things, and it doesn't look good unfortunatly.
If the screen lights up on the faulty side, it may be a simple problem like a dirty laser lens. It's a very easy job to take the lid off and clean them with a cotton wool bud dampened with meths, if you feel you are competent to do so. It's worked for me on a couple of occasions.

Babybob
06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Whereabouts in Wales is the seller located, give me the address and i'll send the boys round.;) :D
Get it checked by your local Dj shop and you may find it will be still a lot less to get it repaired and working than it would for sending it back and going through all the hassle of small claims etc, obviously if it works out too expensive then you will have to go down the reporting route. Put it down to experience though and be careful when you buy anything from ebay especially electrical items.
Let us know how you get on.
;)

soundtemptations
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I have taken this to my local disco supplies and they are going to have a look to see if they can repair it otherwise it will go back on ebay.:(

soundtemptations
06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Whereabouts in Wales is the seller located, give me the address and i'll send the boys round.;) :D
Get it checked by your local Dj shop and you may find it will be still a lot less to get it repaired and working than it would for sending it back and going through all the hassle of small claims etc, obviously if it works out too expensive then you will have to go down the reporting route. Put it down to experience though and be careful when you buy anything from ebay especially electrical items.
Let us know how you get on.
;)

I have brough a few things of ebay and had no trouble but its just this one idiot.