PDA

View Full Version : What to do if...

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
... you turn up to a gig with bouncy floors!!

I'm sure some of you have turned up to a gig and started playing tracks when all of a sudden they start skipping due to people dancing or jumping.

I had this problem last Sat when I did a 13th birthday party. When they were dancing around and jumped hard enough the floor would shake and cause my CD players to stutter for a second.

Anyone have any tips on how to solve this? I have my gear all neatly put into a flightcase but use tables supplied by the venue (am hoping to purchase a table or x-stand soon).

Cheers,
Adam

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Anti skip CD Players or a HDC (D2, Cortex etc), Laptop

Tom
06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
... you turn up to a gig with bouncy floors!!

I'm sure some of you have turned up to a gig and started playing tracks when all of a sudden they start skipping due to people dancing or jumping.

I had this problem last Sat when I did a 13th birthday party. When they were dancing around and jumped hard enough the floor would shake and cause my CD players to stutter for a second.

Anyone have any tips on how to solve this? I have my gear all neatly put into a flightcase but use tables supplied by the venue (am hoping to purchase a table or x-stand soon).

Cheers,
Adam

I think most people on here either use a laptop, computer or a digital dj controller, so they don't really have this problem.

I myself have gone from digital back to cd's and so far have not had a problem.

Like Callum has said, you really need a CD player with some kind of anti skip buffer. This reads the cd's up to so many seconds (my denon ones are 20 seconds I think) and this if your buffer. If the rack case is still be shaken about after 20 seconds then the cd will skip.

Not 100% but I think thats right. :)

Penfold42
06-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Anti skip CD Players or a HDC (D2, Cortex etc), Laptop
What - no Denon....:eek: :eek: :eek:
:D :D :D

I myself have gone from digital back to cd's and so far have not had a problem.

:D :D :D :D :D

My gain!

I never had a problem while using CD's....they never jumped...touch wood! :)

nigelwright7557
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
How about a lump of foam between the cd player and its base ?

If you think its hard with cd players you should try it with vinyl !
I did one vinyl gig where i had to ask everyone to dance at the rear of the dance floor.

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Well the CD Player I use is a Kam KCD-880. It's a entry level twin deck but it is perfect for mobile usage.

When funds allow I plan to get something with seemless loop and a few other bits and peices. I say that a lot though, I plan to do this, do that.... lol

Penfold42
06-03-2009, 08:40 PM

I bet that looks right classy!

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Hi Nigel,

Good idea, although the shear wieght of the deck would deem the foam unless surely??

I thought along the same lines, I only need to soften the vibrations and hope for the best!

It's a bit embarrasing when a CD jumps, everyone looks at you and thinks "Ha, he's crap his CD's don't work properly!") :(

nigelwright7557
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Nigel,

Good idea, although the shear wieght of the deck would deem the foam unless surely??

I thought along the same lines, I only need to soften the vibrations and hope for the best!

It's a bit embarrasing when a CD jumps, everyone looks at you and thinks "Ha, he's crap his CD's don't work properly!") :(

A lot depends on the thickness and density of the foam.

I have a dual cd player that can be hung around your neck !

Cj_The_Dj
06-03-2009, 09:00 PM
in the how to dj properly book, they say get 2 tennis balls cut them in half and put half under each foot.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I wouldnt bother with seamless loop etc just yet. As soom as you get just enough cash for one with antiskip go for it. You can sell your old unit to recoup some costs.

Remember if you end up with a few bad gigs due to bouncy dancefloors, you could miss on a couple of bookings that would get you one step closer to the seamless loop players :)

nigelwright7557
06-03-2009, 09:06 PM
You can sell your old unit to recoup some costs.

They sell well on ebay.

I sold a worn out dual cd player on ebay and got £60 for it !
I was upfront and told them it didnt read cds very well but I still got a good price for it.

Adam_F
06-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Or Pioneer!! :D

Isolation pads - take a look at Auralex MoPads (http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp)

in the how to dj properly book, they say get 2 tennis balls cut them in half and put half under each foot

Will do the job on a budget!

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
:D :D :D

Whats that? :D

Adam_F
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Whats that? :D

It's what professional DJs use :sofa:

:D

Tom
06-03-2009, 09:24 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

My gain!

Sure is. lol.

A lot depends on the thickness and density of the foam.

I have a dual cd player that can be hung around your neck !

Yeah, because wearing a clock is so out of fashion now.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Flavor-Flav-cc08.jpg

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I wouldnt bother with seamless loop etc just yet. As soom as you get just enough cash for one with antiskip go for it. You can sell your old unit to recoup some costs.

Remember if you end up with a few bad gigs due to bouncy dancefloors, you could miss on a couple of bookings that would get you one step closer to the seamless loop players :)

Hi Steve,

I found a couple of players. One higher spec to the other. Now I know that certain brands are budget brands, but surely whatever I buy brand new should work for at least a couple of years.

I found this (http://www.djstore.com/item/cd/kamkcd500s.htm) CD player which is something I would look for in a CD player for mobile disco use. It has Anti-shock and the price is good too.

Then, I found this (http://www.djstore.com/item/cd/kamkcdmp3200.htm) one, again from the same shop but LOADS more features for your money. I think it's a great CD player and would be very tempted when I were to upgrade.

What does everyone think?

nigelwright7557
06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
They are both good value for money.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 10:08 PM
If you can stretch the extra 20 quid then go for the KPCDMP3200. Its got more of what your end goal is going to be so why not :D Just make sure the control unit can fit in your case. It looks to be 3U.

501damian501
06-03-2009, 10:14 PM
for this reason you will find alot of cd players on the waltzers, suspended by using bungeecords from the roof of the paybox, the best solution i have found if this happens on the fly is to use a jumper or sumthing then rest the player on top of it.

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
If you can stretch the extra 20 quid then go for the KPCDMP3200. Its got more of what your end goal is going to be so why not :D Just make sure the control unit can fit in your case. It looks to be 3U.

Exactly what I was thinking!! I have a 2-6-2 flightcase (cheapy one made out of MDF most likely) and I really don't want to buy another. Flightcases aren't cheap by a long way!

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Exactly what I was thinking!! I have a 2-6-2 flightcase (cheapy one made out of MDF most likely) and I really don't want to buy another. Flightcases aren't cheap by a long way!

Thats a bit of a get then. I must admit thats the reason i ditched my 2-6-2 case in favour for a more generic case with a purely sloping top.

Edit - Have a look at the rack Toms selling, should be more than ample, and room for extra, and £50 is a bit of a bargin.

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=320802#post320802

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Bit tight on the ol' cash at the moment, but thanks for the offer anyway.

So much gear I need but so little money!!! :(

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I know that feeling. Crap aint it... :(

On a different note, just been having a nosey round your website. Maybe have a look at adjusting the font on your "Web Design" page, this is what im seeing :)

sleah
06-03-2009, 11:15 PM

Oh yeah! Dead right. Takes me back to my vinyl days, one venue in particular. I had to have my mate literally hold the turntable up:eek:
Foam was used extensively;)

for this reason you will find alot of cd players on the waltzers, suspended by using bungeecords from the roof of the paybox, the best solution i have found if this happens on the fly is to use a jumper or sumthing then rest the player on top of it.

That reminds me of a long-gone venue in my home town. I was a bar-type place with resident disco.
The floor may as well have been a trampoline, the solution was to suspend the decks/mixer from the ceiling! I think it was done with bloomin' long studded rods or something similar:D

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 11:18 PM

On a different note, just been having a nosey round your website. Maybe have a look at adjusting the font on your "Web Design" page, this is what im seeing :)

Works fine for me :D FF on Mac 10.5 :D

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh yeah! Dead right. Takes me back to my vinyl days, one venue in particular. I had to have my mate literally hold the turntable up:eek:
Foam was used extensively;)

Ive used these before for decks: http://www.udmdjstore.co.uk/details.asp?ProductID=31115

That reminds me of a long-gone venue in my home town. I was a bar-type place with resident disco.
The floor may as well have been a trampoline, the solution was to suspend the decks/mixer from the ceiling! I think it was done with bloomin' long studded rods or something similar:D

The best place ive worked was one where they got me in at the design stage. I had a huge dj box, with built up breezeblock pillars that protruded through cutout holes either side of the mixer. the best place ive ever worked.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Works fine for me :D FF on Mac 10.5 :D

You not getting the black text.

PS im on IE7

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 11:20 PM
That's IE for you :zip: Works all fine for me.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-03-2009, 11:21 PM
That's IE for you :zip: Works all fine for me.

I know. had to go back to it because the missus is a numpty who whines to much....

Jiggles
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I know. had to go back to it because the missus is a numpty who whines to much....

Get rid of IE and just have FF i have tought my dad who cant use a PC to save him self to use it it can be done :P

anyway

:offtopic:

SilverlineDiscos
06-03-2009, 11:27 PM

Hi Steve,

Yeah no money is crap. I see loads of stuff I would like to have to provide a better service but starting out in the mobile disco industry is hard.

About the ol website - that's the old page which used the be there from the old design. The css has been changed (hense the lack of styling on the page).

By the way, what do you think to the website? Still not finished yet, but I'm getting there!! :)

EDIT: I use FF mainly, ONLY use IE for testing sites for compatibility. Firefox all the way!! :D

Regards,
Adam

Dynamic Entertainment
08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
The website looks good. I prefer ff myself, but its not worth the hassle with her indoors :D

SilverlineDiscos
13-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Just to let you know, the page has been changed to show the proper template and CSS.

So it doesn't look as if I've done a half arsed job ;) :D

The website looks good. I prefer ff myself, but its not worth the hassle with her indoors

Thanks Steve, been working on the website today, so hopefully things should have improved somewhat :)

ultrasound disco
16-03-2009, 03:49 PM
done ropes from eyehooks on the ceiling quite a few times in the days of vinyl.:):)
Even see eye hooks in odd venues to this day:eek::eek: