PDA

View Full Version : HK Audio Lucas 600

djsteve10
08-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Well I bought a HK Audio Lucas 600 system for the smaller jobs, I got second hand from a DJ I know who upgrade to Mackie, The system needed a lick of paint and abit of TLC but I sorted that yesterday afternoon. I paid £350 for the system which I will say is a bargain. I have taken it out on the road on two occasions now. Last week I was at a small venue and the dj who was upstairs laughed at my system when I wheeled it in, He then followed me into the venue some with Skytec double 15" speakers with horns and Piezo tweeters in them and told me he would have the place shaking. I was doing my sound check when he came down from upstairs and was gobsmacked at the sound of the Hk's. Last night I used it in a big venue accomapanied with a pair of Turbosound Impact 12" tops and the sound was fantasic throughout the venue. One of my best buys this year I will say.

Well reccomened system if you ask me.

Twinspin
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I like the HK Audio gear. The lucas systems are great. I had the Lucas 1000 the first time i got that. I had the same thing. But the dj wasnt working the other room. He was just taking his kit home and he said to me pretty much the same.

The guy had a pair of peavey pro 15s and prosubs. As i had just got in and started setting up the other dj comes up to me... Are you running through those old carlsbro speakers then (installed in venue)

I said nah ive got my sound system with me. He said where is it? I point at it. and he said how are you going to get away with using those they are like hifi speakers.

I said to him fair enough mate believe what you like. So whilst he was moving his gear. I had just powered it up and the other dj turned round. He said to me dont tell me that sound is coming from them speakers.

so i said it is. He come up to them.. i turned it up louder. He looked in shock and said jesus thats powerful and it sounds good as well.

Thats the thing with HK Audio Lucas some people will look at it and think its only small its not going to be very powerful.

But even my initial thoughts when i bought one were the same. But it was very impressive and powerful for the size.

Any system that HK Audio make is very good. I used a Lucas 1000 for 3 years and i thought it was brilliant. It can take a bit of hammer and the speakers themselves are made of good wood.

DJ James Lake
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
You ought to hear the actor then, that will blow the roof off

08-03-2009, 09:00 PM
You ought to hear the actor then, that will blow the roof off

:agree: :D :D :D :D :D

I heard the lucas system before and it's how much that little system kicks!

nigelwright7557
08-03-2009, 09:07 PM
A lot of it is down to the sensitivity of the speakers.

There can be a huge difference between two speakers of the same power.
I wont touch a speaker with less than 99dB sensitivity.

Tom
08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I wont touch a speaker with less than 99dB sensitivity.

Well that is a lot of speakers then. lol.

nigelwright7557
08-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Well that is a lot of speakers then. lol.

I have seen loads as low as 94dB

Tom
08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I have seen loads as low as 94dB

And the one I am using for my cab designs are 89.2db.

I tryed using drivers with much higher sensivity but got bad results.

You look at speakers like this (http://www.precision-devices.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=3), a fantastic reflex driver. But wait, its only 97db.

It's not all about the speakers, its about cab design as you know. You combine both, then you will get a good end result.

After looking at the specs of the Lucas 600, its not to bad. The tops use a 8" driver and a 1" for the high end. Gets 122db. I had a quick go on some sims, I can get slightly higher but thats not the point.

For some reason there is no info for the sub. Would be nice to know what it's specs are!

I think you got a great little system there, Steve. :)

Twinspin
09-03-2009, 02:52 PM
The big HK systems as James Mentioned. Yep they are awesome. I had a demo of the Large HK systems at Fox's Music in Hull. He plugged them into a soundcraft mixer with a cd player.

But as well as hearing them like that. Ive also worked with Various bands that use them systems and i think theyre awesome. Heard the projector and actor in a band setup. HK Audio Rock!!!!!

Put it this way if i change from RCF im going back to HK Audio. Probably the Actor DX.

jamesh
09-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah can't beat HK and the old lucas 600 & 1000 are great... Especially for the size of them!

The older bluey HK ranges defiantly have the better sound in my opinion although the newer stuff is still good.... Personally I have 4 HK LR118 (18" bass bins), 4 HK LR112's (12" Tops) and 2 HK (can't remember the model number ahhhH!!!) 500w Long throw tops... and love them to bits.... Closely followed by my Lem T5sa subs and T4A tops....