PDA

View Full Version : acme dynamos

womble
11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I've seen these advertised as both 100w and 250w. As a beginner looking to build a rig from scratch, would a set of 100w do me, or would I want to upgrade to 250w within a couple of gigs?

andyw
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
i've not seen the 250 version in person so i can't/won't comment on them.the 100 w version is fantastic and extremely bright for 100w .unless you are going todo very big halls then 100w will be more than adequate

SC Events
11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I bought a set of 4 100W Dynamo's in January and I think they are fantastic.

I have DJ'd in some fairly big places and they seem more than adequate and definitely don't get out brightened (I can't remember the word lol) by any of the other lights.

womble
11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Cheers guys.

Scott - the 4 pack is currently retailing at about £299 - is that a good price?

Reminisce disco
11-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Personally i'd agree, and go with the 100w ones. Very bright and powerful enough for many venues :D

SC Events
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Cheers guys.

Scott - the 4 pack is currently retailing at about £299 - is that a good price?

That is an excellent price.

I paid £350 with flight case, but I have seen that many retailers have put their prices up for them by about £20-£30

Reminisce disco
11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
check this link out http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17278&highlight=acme+dynamo

womble
12-03-2009, 11:46 AM
That is an excellent price.

I paid £350 with flight case, but I have seen that many retailers have put their prices up for them by about £20-£30

I just bought 4x 100w acme dynamos with flight case, goalpost + tbars, dmx cables, spare bulbs and a ca 8 controller for £205!

JDB Entertainment
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Please do not use text.

Admin

womble
12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
It was on eBay so they are second hand, but I reckon it's better than half price of new...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320347031048#ht_840wt_1167

markthedoc
20-03-2009, 03:30 PM
What's the difference between the Acme Dynamos and the Acme Super Leo's?

Are they both much of a muchness?

Bouncy Dancefloor
20-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Leos are discontinued and have been for a while now, they are also bigger and heavier and wont work master/slave mode with other dynamo's

cosmicdiscos
20-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Link

have a look at the video via the above link. i use 2 x dynamo 250 and 2 x dynarock 250. they're my favourite lights ever.

wensleydale
20-03-2009, 09:58 PM
you play music like that and you get 3 people dancing.
enough said.
alice would turn in his grave.
if he was dead.
;) ;)

Bouncy Dancefloor
20-03-2009, 09:59 PM
i presume you have a show via software? The Master/Slave shows look much better, the barrels are barely moving

and do people honestly play such crud at parties?

cosmicdiscos
20-03-2009, 10:57 PM
i won't bother helping next time!

DeckstarDeluxe
20-03-2009, 11:20 PM
in all fairness we dont know anything about the event or what the client wanted

I will say however it does come across as a classic case of "bedroom dj" belting out high bpm tracks to a handful of people hence the comments.

Danno13
20-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Come on guys, hardly fair to post snide remarks like that without knowing the circumstances or even what kind of gig it was.

Naturally you all must have a full dance floor from the first song to the last at every single gig you do?

cosmicdiscos
20-03-2009, 11:41 PM
look, it was a halloween party for 16-18 year old from the local ATC. it was music they requested and i filmed the video during the buffet so that i could get a good video of my lighting.
i've been doing discos across the north west for 4 years. i've worked at aintree racecourse, and done outdoor events for the pro footballers of the wirral. i'm an NADJ member too
i thought this was a friendly site, not a place where everyone pulls eachother down because of a poor song cover or whatever

Bouncy Dancefloor
21-03-2009, 05:24 AM
can you not accept feedback? I honestly believe the lights would look better master/slave, you arent utilising the Barrel rotation effect at all

wensleydale
21-03-2009, 08:58 AM
look, it was a halloween party for 16-18 year old from the local ATC. it was music they requested and i filmed the video during the buffet so that i could get a good video of my lighting.
i've been doing discos across the north west for 4 years. i've worked at aintree racecourse, and done outdoor events for the pro footballers of the wirral. i'm an NADJ member too
i thought this was a friendly site, not a place where everyone pulls eachother down because of a poor song cover or whatever

it was a joke- apologies if it was not taken in that way.
i still dont think mr cooper would approve though.

Corabar Steve
21-03-2009, 10:09 AM
it was a joke- apologies if it was not taken in that way.
i still dont think mr cooper would approve though.
Neither do I, & cosmicdiscos has just made it onto my hitlist as a consequence http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/scorchio/saevil.gif

& it's Mr Furnier to you :sj:

cosmicdiscos
21-03-2009, 02:37 PM
the dynamos are master slave and the barrels are master slave. if i link them all together i.e. 1 master and 4 slaves, only 3 of the 4 effects work. i don't believe it can be done except by dmx

cosmicdiscos
21-03-2009, 03:43 PM
i prefer the alice cooper version myself, but all they wanted was dance and hardcore. sorry if i got out of my pram about your comments, i'd had a bad day.

Tom
21-03-2009, 05:22 PM
the dynamos are master slave and the barrels are master slave. if i link them all together i.e. 1 master and 4 slaves, only 3 of the 4 effects work. i don't believe it can be done except by dmx

Have you set any dips switches up at all??? Never have had a problem with mine from either master/slave or DMX.

cosmicdiscos
22-03-2009, 01:54 AM
i've tried the dipswitch settings. i've swapped leads round etc. all that happens is 3 work in sequence and one doesn't work at all. i'm sure i read somewhere that its to do with the Eprom (microchip) being a first edition. i was told there is an updated one available from somewhere to overcome this problem.

Bouncy Dancefloor
22-03-2009, 02:32 AM
try using a different one as a master? Very often its the Master head thats the important one, so if one is newer than the others, its worth a shout

RealSounds
22-03-2009, 09:52 AM
tune (H)
i wouldnt class it as a high bpm song tho tbf!

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 01:01 PM
you play music like that and you get 3 people dancing.
enough said.
alice would turn in his grave.
if he was dead.
;) ;)

and do people honestly play such crud at parties?

Sorry I just wanted to say that there is no need for comments like this. We knew nothing about the gig or what the client wanted.

For all we know it could have been the first song of the night. I'm sure loads of you have had a full dance floor for every gig?

Also, why is it 'bedroom DJ'?? I really hate it when people say things like this because some gigs actually WANT music like this. I did a gig for a youth group in November last year and it was a 3 hour gig. First two hours I spent playing all kinds of music from new music to some party stuff and then for the last hour and a bit we played nothing but trance and dance. Not that I was the one to play it myself, they actually came up and requested lots of trance and dance :)

So please for crying out loud don't post things like that, I find it very offensive to think people put people down without knowing anything first. I am into trance and that kind of music because I like it.

Anyway with that out of the way, cosmicdiscos - your setup looks great! I love the dynamos they do look good,I wish I had a set instead of my missiles scanners :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-03-2009, 01:08 PM
So please for crying out loud don't post things like that, I find it very offensive to think people put people down without knowing anything first. I am into trance and that kind of music because I like it.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that people shouldn't make comments in case it upsets you? Everyone is allowed their opinion on here.

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 01:11 PM
You seem to be under the misapprehension that people shouldn't make comments in case it upsets you? Everyone is allowed their opinion on here.

Not at all, I am happy to take positive critism but I thought the comments made were just unfair. I just wanted to say that before people start putting people down for the music they play or anything for that matter, to find out the facts beforehand.

Corabar Steve
22-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Why bring it up again?

It had died down & was forgotten.

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I just wanted to put across my point because I thought the comments were unfair.

I'll say no more on the matter ;)