PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Splitter

SC Events
11-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I have bought an Ethernet Splitter, through the IT company my nan works for but it won't connect properly.

I am trying to to set it up so:

The Ethernet Switch is a TP-Link TL-SF1008D

I can only get either the PC or my Laptop, not both, to connect to the internet. Am I missing something?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott.

P.S. Sorry about the crude drawing.....I'm not a draughtsman! :D:D:D

DJ James Lake
11-03-2009, 03:48 PM
You need a crossover cable to go between the modem and ethernet hub normally or it wont work

SC Events
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
This doesn't/ shouldn't need one.

I have attached a link to their website:

http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=80

Thanks,

Jiggles
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Well no not really normal straight though should do. DNS. IP problems possibly? Hard reset if possible.

SC Events
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I have tried that, but it still won't work.

If I unplug it from my laptop, pull the power lead out of the switch for 10 secs then put it back in the PC will then work. - It's Bizarre!

EDIT: The PC is Vista and my Laptop is XP - Should this make a difference?

501damian501
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
you need a crossover cable, or why not just use a router ???

SilverlineDiscos
11-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately this can't be done unless you use a crossover cable. The reason is the modem should only be used for one computer at a time. However, you could bridge the laptop with the desktop, meaning you connect the laptop to a second ethernet port on the computer and then bridge the connection.

To use both computers, purchase a router with more than one ethernet port and or using the method above you should be fine :)

SC Events
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks, the manufacturers website does say this though:

TL-SF1008D 8-port 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch provides 8 10/100Mbps Auto-Negotiation RJ45 ports. All ports support Auto MDI/MDIX function, eliminating the need for crossover cables or Uplink ports.

discomobiledj
11-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Why not just buy a router with the ethernet ports built into it? Or are you with Virgin?

If so, I used a Belkin router when I had it, never failed.

SC Events
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I am with Virgin Media, but my Modem was issued by NTL.

The Modem itself only has 1 Ethernet port out of it and is Fibre Optic in.

I can't have wireless because the grandparents think "it's unsafe!"

Thanks,

Vectis
11-03-2009, 08:06 PM
At first glance it seems that there's no DHCP service running on any of the devices; therefore the PC's are probably both working with the default 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address hence possibly the reason you can't use both.

The ethernet signal paths look to be clean, so cabling isn't the issue.

I'm not a windows networking expert, but I think the way forward is to set up one computer as an internet "gateway" - this will then dish out different IP addresses to the other computers connected on the same lan segment (ie your switch) and all will be well. The problem with this approach is that unless the computer acting as gateway is switched on and running the service, no others will be able to "get through".

As others have said, swapping the modem for a router is a painfree solution. If your switch has a DHCP function, enable it and that'll work too.

Or, as another workaround, get any old broadband router (wireless or not) and connect it to a spare third port on the switch, with DHCP service enabled. You don't need to onward cable this to your service provider - just tap it for its DHCP giving properties.

DJ James Lake
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I use exactly the same setup. I have a virgin media broadband modem from there into a TP Link wireless & 8 port ethernet hub with a crossover cable. Then straight through ethernet cables to each of my computers with no special setup needed. 1 pc on XP, 2 pc's on vista, 3 macs.
If I dont use a crossover cable between modem and hub then it doesnt work.

SC Events
11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
I use exactly the same setup. I have a virgin media broadband modem from there into a TP Link wireless & 8 port ethernet hub with a crossover cable. Then straight through ethernet cables to each of my computers with no special setup needed. 1 pc on XP, 2 pc's on vista, 3 macs.
If I dont use a crossover cable between modem and hub then it doesnt work.

So should I just buy a Cross Over Cable?

Thanks,

BeerFunk
11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
You must be using dated hardware if you need to use a crossover cable.

501damian501
11-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I am with Virgin Media, but my Modem was issued by NTL.

The Modem itself only has 1 Ethernet port out of it and is Fibre Optic in.

I can't have wireless because the grandparents think "it's unsafe!"

Thanks,

so listening to radio 1 is unsafe ?... or are we talking security features

if you config the network correctly, and use all the security features available you will be fine...

SC Events
11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
I know that, but they won't believe it.

Vectis
11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
you need a crossover cable, or why not just use a router ???

So should I just buy a Cross Over Cable?

You must be using dated hardware if you need to use a crossover cable.

"All ports support Auto MDI/MDIX function, eliminating the need for crossover cables or Uplink ports"

From http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=80

The problem's not cabling, it's lack of DHCP.

If I'm wrong I'll show my backside in Woolies window tomorrow morning.

Oh hang on, there's a fly in that particular ointment isn't there :p

SC Events
11-03-2009, 10:06 PM
The problem's not cabling, it's lack of DHCP.

If I'm wrong I'll show my backside in Woolies window tomorrow morning.

Oh hang on, there's a fly in that particular ointment isn't there :p

What do I do about DHCP then? I haven't done a lot of technical stuff with internet and networks. I've only done some basic network server stuff.

Thanks,

discomobiledj
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Ask Virgin for a new router/modem. This will sort out any problems as the new one are a million times better.

Vectis
11-03-2009, 10:17 PM
What do I do about DHCP then? I haven't done a lot of technical stuff with internet and networks. I've only done some basic network server stuff.

Thanks,

Go back a few posts...

At first glance it seems that there's no DHCP service running on any of the devices; therefore the PC's are probably both working with the default 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address hence possibly the reason you can't use both.

The ethernet signal paths look to be clean, so cabling isn't the issue.

I'm not a windows networking expert, but I think the way forward is to set up one computer as an internet "gateway" - this will then dish out different IP addresses to the other computers connected on the same lan segment (ie your switch) and all will be well. The problem with this approach is that unless the computer acting as gateway is switched on and running the service, no others will be able to "get through".

As others have said, swapping the modem for a router is a painfree solution. If your switch has a DHCP function, enable it and that'll work too.

Or, as another workaround, get any old broadband router (wireless or not) and connect it to a spare third port on the switch, with DHCP service enabled. You don't need to onward cable this to your service provider - just tap it for its DHCP giving properties.

sleah
11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry guys but you are ALL wrong!!!

He seems to be going direct from the NTL MODEM to a switch.
You can only connect ONE device to the modem, in networking terms that is.
It will only allow one mac* address at a time.

What's needed is a cable router between the modem and switch, that way the modem only sees one mac* address (the router) and the router contains the DHCP/DNS etc that has been mentioned.

*mac address is the unique address that is hard coded into every ethernet device or network card.

BeerFunk
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM

He seems to be going direct from the NTL MODEM to a switch.
You can only connect ONE device to the modem, in networking terms that is.
It will only allow one mac* address at a time.

What's needed is a cable router between the modem and switch, that way the modem only sees one mac* address (the router) and the router contains the DHCP/DNS etc that has been mentioned.

*mac address is the unique address that is hard coded into every ethernet device or network card.Having read through the thread again - you're spot on :beer1:

A switch in this application is useless without a router to connect multiple devices (multiple MAC addresses) to the same gateway (modem).

sleah
11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Having read through the thread again - you're spot on :beer1:

It's part of me job:D

Networks & internet that is, not being spot on:p :p :D :D

501damian501
11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
and whats the cable between the modem and the switch called ?

BeerFunk
11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
and whats the cable between the modem and the switch called ?Ethernet/RJ45/network/Cat 5 cable. It can be either straight wired or crossover in this case - and in any case really, with modern hardware.

Vectis
11-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Hence the suggestion to use one PC as a gateway for the others.

sleah
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Sorry VV:o:o Speed reading, read too fast:D

SC Events
11-03-2009, 10:35 PM

I got told if I do it that way, I would have to have the PC switched on as well as my laptop.

Danno13
11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Or just get a router/modem/switch all rolled into one, there's plenty on the market.

First one I found on google... http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=d+link+modem+router&cid=4936943613072328571&sa=title#ps-sellers

Though it might be worth speaking to your ISP as they may only support certain models.

sleah
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Or just get a router/modem/switch all rolled into one, there's plenty on the market.

First one I found on google... http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=d+link+modem+router&cid=4936943613072328571&sa=title#ps-sellers

Danno, that won't work for the OP as he is on NTL/Virgin which is a cable service.
The modem is Virgin's kit that is hooked on to the incoming cable and presents a single ethernet port to the customer. It's quite different to ADSL.

Danno13
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Whoops must have missed that bit.. I'm sure there must be an equivelant that works with a cable broadband connection though.

Vectis
12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Essentially what you're missing is a device to perform Network Address Translation (NAT).

This is a method by which multiple IPs (and MACs) are masked behind a single IP (and MAC) presented to the internet and came about originally because IP addresses in the IPv4 scheme which is prevalent today are fast running out. But it quickly became adopted in home routers etc.

As far as I understand it (and I know nothing of cable - we've only just got electrickery over here you know :o ) you have 3 choices:

1. Swap the modem for a compatible router. If it's wireless, chances are that part of it can be disabled. The router will provide NAT and DHCP services.

2. Set one PC to act as a gateway for others - but it'll need to be left on

3. Somehow 'inject' NAT and DHCP services onto your lan by piggybacking another device

discomobiledj
12-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Just get one of these (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0076924791.123685512 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceeadegjjihdgdcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=869557&category_oid=), ethernet cable from modem to router, then two further ethernet cables to laptop & PC simple.