PDA

View Full Version : Do you sing when doing Karaoke?

Jay
13-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm thinking of adding Karaoke, as I've been asked if I offer it alot lately, but I just thought today, if I did, would I be expected to sing a song or two? ie is a unwritten rule I sing as when i've seen karaoke the dj mostly sings one or two to get things going...and just fot the record, I am a terrible singer and don't fancy that at all.

Just wondered what everyone else does.

SilverlineDiscos
13-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Well I'm in the same boat as you. I did a gig a couple of weeks ago and did some Karaoke but didn't sing.

I don't think people 'expect' you to sing, but I guess if you select the right song, can get people more inclined to come up and have a go.

I'm lots of people will post their thoughts on it, but I wouldn't expect a DJ to sing when offering Karaoke :)

Tom
13-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I dont offer this but I would give it a go if I did. I think it's good is the service provider (very fonejacker-ish) did sing.

I had singing lessons at collage as part of my music course. If I had the bottle I would sing in to a microphone. lol.

Shaun
13-03-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7411

[ moving to karaoke forum ]

gazzak
13-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I think you have to be prepared to sing to be a Karaoke host. I always sing at least two or three songs a night and I mostly find that if nobody is singing and I get up and do a song the slips soon come rolling in. I don't think it would help your cause not to sing.

BeerFunk
13-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Personally, I don't think you would have to sing, if the karaoke was an add-on to the disco.

Mark Wild
13-03-2009, 07:28 PM
At the start of the night when they're sober and slow to get up I sing 2 or 3 songs, after they've had a few shots of sambuca you normally won't need to, infact the words "When is it my turn" "Is it me next" and "I put my request up before them" will start to get on your nerves ! lol

ppentertainments
13-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Normally I don't. I always offer karaoke and disco together and if karaoke is a bit slow I wait until a few cards are handed back before starting the karaoke. If I feel it is needed I will sing though.

As far as should / shouldn't you, IMO you are hired to provide a good nights entertainment. If you can do this without singing fine, but if needed ................... Just remember you don't have to be any good, just entertaining.

Excalibur
14-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Sadly yes. :o :o :o :( :( :( The proof can be seen here, if you so wish. Only for those with a strong constitution though. ;) ;) Get there early, or miss the fun. :D
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18847

djharvey
14-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm thinking of adding Karaoke, as I've been asked if I offer it alot lately, but I just thought today, if I did, would I be expected to sing a song or two? ie is a unwritten rule I sing as when i've seen karaoke the dj mostly sings one or two to get things going...and just fot the record, I am a terrible singer and don't fancy that at all.

doing karaoke myself i wouldnt say i was a great singer or a bad one either surely its all about giving them a good night i woulnt worrie if your not good a singing if they see your trying i thing it would make more people join in :)

ampndecks
14-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Yes I sing a few. But I don't think its compulsory by any means. You could make it clear to the audience that they really DON'T want to hear your voice so they had better get the slips in :)

gazzak
14-03-2009, 09:25 AM
doing karaoke myself i wouldnt say i was a great singer or a bad one either surely its all about giving them a good night i woulnt worrie if your not good a singing if they see your trying i thing it would make more people join in :)

I couldn't agree more.

DazzyD
14-03-2009, 08:59 PM
At karaoke-only shows I normally sing the first one or two. Then pray that people get up! :D

I often mess up the first song as my voice hasn't relaxed in by then. I then say "If you think you can do any better, and let's face it it shouldn't be too hard, get your requests in!". And people usually do!

BeerFunk
14-03-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm glad to see that the pro-karaoke guys here recognise that it is about the other singers, not about yourself :)

I say this because I have seen too many KJs, mostly 'cowboy' types I might add, who started doing it because they were good at karaoke themselves. They see themselves as the centre of the show, and as such, get it entirely wrong.

Dynamic Entertainment
14-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I know a few folk who offer karaoke and do the odd bit of singing. One is a pub curcit singer too (shes not half bad either), The other guy cant sing a tune but his karaokes go down a hell of a lot better as, IMO, people dont want to be shown up when compared to the "pro" singer.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I think it's very important to sing if you are a KJ. What do you do if no-one wants to get up? Sit and twiddle your thumbs?

I think people forget we are in the entertainment industry sometimes.

Jay
15-03-2009, 11:38 AM
hmm, on the face of things then I think i'll leave karaoke alone, as there is no way I could sing. Talkings fine but singing is something I don't think i could do.

Twinspin
15-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Im starting to do karaoke again and i think i will need to learn to sing on it. I have a karaoke night at the end of the month, I have been practicing various songs that i know on it.

Im not a good singer (probably rubbish) but tbh ill give it a go

JAMdisco
16-03-2009, 09:38 AM
I know a few folk who offer karaoke and do the odd bit of singing. One is a pub curcit singer too (shes not half bad either), The other guy cant sing a tune but his karaokes go down a hell of a lot better as, IMO, people dont want to be shown up when compared to the "pro" singer.

I agree entirely with that. I consider myself a semi-pro singer as I made quite a lot of money when I did it on the club & pub circuits, which is why I have my reservations on singing at karaoke, but I usually do :p :D ;)

Im starting to do karaoke again and i think i will need to learn to sing on it. I have a karaoke night at the end of the month, I have been practicing various songs that i know on it.

Im not a good singer (probably rubbish) but tbh ill give it a go

Like I said on a previous post John, you are taking this too seriously, people will be more inclined to get up if you're a bad singer. :)

BeerFunk
16-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Like I said on a previous post John, you are taking this too seriously, people will be more inclined to get up if you're a bad singer. :)Bad singer? I think a karaoke host has to be at least adequate - but not overly good.

DazzyD
16-03-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm a strong believer in the theory that anyone can sing. It's merely a case of picking the right songs to go with your voice.

And if you start a karaoke show with a couple of up-tempo party songs it get's everyone in the mood and you shouldn't need to sing much more after that.

womble
25-03-2009, 08:34 PM

I get the wife to do the karaoke - as a trained actor and singer she's better at that than I am..

Sarahjovi
13-04-2009, 03:41 PM
We always sing a song or two at the beginning of the night, just to check sound levels etc., And sometimes we'll sing again if its a slow night!

Sarah:D

sandaroadshow
13-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I do karaoke and I find you are better a Kj if you sing, I sing now around 20 songs so not bad for a beginner

Corabar Entertainment
13-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Hi there.

Why not pop over to the Newbies forum and introduce yourself to the other members of the forum?

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

:D

Shakermaker Promotions
13-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I did a Karaoke night tonight. Easy one aswell as only 8pm - 11pm.

Did 4 songs tonight too...Chasing Cars, Bring Me Sunshine, Everything and Behind Blue Eyes.

Enjoyed that!

DiscoPromotions
14-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I do not sing, but Si does when he does karaoke.

I do not do Karaoke Gigs if I can help it.

djdave01
14-11-2009, 09:22 AM
i do 'sing', if you can call it that, but i only really know 5 songs. I really need to try a few more lol

Ive not long started a new Sunday night residency from 8 to 11, lucky if theres 10 people in the place till 9pm, then it fills up. During that first hour no one sings at all. The owner's happy for me just to play music till the pub fills up.

DazzyD
14-11-2009, 10:26 AM
i do 'sing', if you can call it that, but i only really know 5 songs. I really need to try a few more lol

Ive not long started a new Sunday night residency from 8 to 11, lucky if theres 10 people in the place till 9pm, then it fills up. During that first hour no one sings at all. The owner's happy for me just to play music till the pub fills up.

That's the way to go. I once got a residency simply because the previous karaoke used to sing all the time when she had no requests in and everyone got sick of hearing her voice! I just play music and turn it in to a bit of a disco when it's quiet!

The_Blue_Dragon
14-11-2009, 10:50 AM
When I'm doing karaoke I like to throw in the odd song if there isnt a long list of people waiting. I know 1 dj who doesnt sing when doing karaoke and still does a good night but takes a while for singers to start coming up

flatliners
14-11-2009, 11:13 AM
i do between 3 and 5 songs can be anything from thats enterainment by the jam, acdc whole lotta rosie ,james brown sex machine elton john can you feel the love tonight, wurzles combine / cider and other stuff

Excalibur
15-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Do I sing? Ask anyone who can remember the legendary performance by "The Four Ozzies" at Darren's 40th. ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Do I sing? Ask anyone who can remember the legendary performance by "The Four Ozzies" at Darren's 40th. ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Which I have on video and now on this PC....:eek:

I just need to edit and upload. :D :cool:

Excalibur
15-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Which I have on video and now on this PC....:eek:

I just need to edit and upload. :D :cool:

Eek indeed! :eek: That may need to be prefaced with some form of strongly worded warning. ;) :o :o :D :D

Elite Entertain
16-11-2009, 11:55 AM
I always sing - that's one of the reasons I do this as a hobby!

twindecks
22-01-2010, 03:39 PM
well i have been doing karaoke now for about 8 years i dont sing as i cant lol but i think its up to the dj but i do videos and people like that

patok
26-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I dont sing unless its quiet

StarZSoundS
26-01-2010, 09:38 PM
, infact the words "When is it my turn" "Is it me next" and "I put my request up before them" will start to get on your nerves ! lol

Yes Mark I agree.....people can be remarkably rude when they are :Censored: faced.

I can sing...but rarely do....nothing winds up an audience more than the Host singing when their Mates want to.Don't think I would be embarassed if I wasn't able to sing.As long as your playing reasonable back up music it shouldn't be a problem.

I have always tried to stick roughly to the same formula.One Karaoke singer..then two tracks for dancing...and so on and so on.That way the Dancers are happy and the Singers get the chance to murder at least one song each!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: