PDA

View Full Version : DMX Scenes

Candybeatdiscos
14-03-2009, 05:00 PM
This is not a real life scenario yet....

I have a school reunion party at the local school (they let us bring a bar) and i am on stage, the lights go down the stage curtain rises and i am starting off with TTF - Dreamscape 94....

Fog has been blowing out for past few minutes
I have two scanners slowly scanning the floor whislt the singer is singing the first few lines, then the first burst of music comes through and a few lights start to sparkle, then at next burst of music a few more.....its building up to the cressendo of the music and more and more lights are starting to come on and BANG! the Song gets into full throw and i have strobes, imoves and Pars banging one etc.....

Now the next song is a bit different and i dont want the same lightshow for it, but does that mean i need to create a different lightshow for it and every other song that i play?

Shaun
14-03-2009, 06:55 PM
The kind of customised lightshow programmed around the individual songs composition is something I wouldn't imagine is used very much outside of theatrical or tv situations. The sheer amount of songs, variations etc would be an impossible task.

In my opinion it's best to make a mixture of scenes. Some slow sweeping scenes, some fast, maybe even a few strobe scenes. Then just mix and match the scenes as needed.

Rough Example:

Tune starts with a slow build up: Choose one of your slow sweeping scenes. When the singer starts you could then switch on the fly to a faster paced scene you've designed. At the crescendo you could switch to one of your strobe scenes.

Having a mix and match of scenes that can be used in a variety of ways would be a good 'all-rounder' solution.

Hope this helps.

p.s: I detest DMX programming. Up till now I've used a hardware controller for all my programming. Last week I moved to a software based package which means programming a whole new set of scenes. Although easier with the software (once I get my head around the new way of working) it's still a tedious and laborious job. :(

Candybeatdiscos
14-03-2009, 10:44 PM
p.s: I detest DMX programming. Up till now I've used a hardware controller for all my programming. Last week I moved to a software based package which means programming a whole new set of scenes. Although easier with the software (once I get my head around the new way of working) it's still a tedious and laborious job. :(

Well i know to give you a shout then :)

Can scenes be shared between a couple of computers, ie for instance i create scenes and then pop them on say three laptops for my dj's to use

501damian501
15-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Can scenes be shared between a couple of computers, ie for instance i create scenes and then pop them on say three laptops for my dj's to use

i think you can save scenes to usb pens, am sure shaun will know :cool:

Shaun
15-03-2009, 12:08 AM

*makes a note to add Garry to call barring list*

As far as I'm aware...yes. I've only just started using the software based DMX though, but I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to confirm.

501damian501
15-03-2009, 12:14 AM
*makes a note to add Garry to call barring list*

As far as I'm aware...yes. I've only just started using the software based DMX though, but I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to confirm.

what you using shaun, and how you finding it ?, worth the move ?

Shaun
15-03-2009, 12:18 AM
what you using shaun, and how you finding it ?, worth the move ?

Recently bought Daslight from Vectisvibe

how you finding it ?, worth the move ?

So far so good. Just trying to get my head round the interface and figure out where everything is in the software. So far first impressions are good. The 3d visualiser makes the whole process a lot easier, which means no setting up of fixtures in the house to program scenes anymore. The 'wife' is happy about that.

Ask me again in a month, I'll be able to give a more comprehensive overview of it then. :)

501damian501
15-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Recently bought Daslight from Vectisvibe

So far so good. Just trying to get my head round the interface and figure out where everything is in the software. So far first impressions are good. The 3d visualiser makes the whole process a lot easier, which means no setting up of fixtures in the house to program scenes anymore. The 'wife' is happy about that.

Ask me again in a month, I'll be able to give a more comprehensive overview of it then. :)

i sure will do, so whats a month from now lets say... 12th April 2009 1:22am ? :D

Candybeatdiscos
15-03-2009, 01:00 AM
i plan to use myDMX which seems easy to use and i have downloaded the software (its free from thier website (American DJ) ) in order to practise on - very easy to look at interface, although not 100% sure on how to use it - guess i need to find a few tutorials lol

Does anyone know of any? I have found one or two on youtube.

Vectis
15-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Can scenes be shared between a couple of computers

Yep.

In fact I have a number of 'banks' depending on a) which kind of gig I'm doing (eg. 60th/18th are a bit different!) and what fixtures I've hung. This keeps the interface clean and within the 30-scene limit that my software allows.

You also have a visual representation of "the desk" so you can still grab hold of sliders in real time.

Just trying to get my head round the interface and figure out where everything is in the software.

I've been using it for about 6 months and I'm still finding features I didn't know about - mostly by accident clicking on the wrong thing!! At first the software seems overly simplistic (and a bit confusing) and I think it probably suits people who are new to DMX rather than those trying to migrate from desks or other systems.

i plan to use myDMX which seems easy to use

It is. The reason I moved from myDMX to Daslight was the lack of sound-active mode, which in Daslight is superb and possibly the best implementation I've seen at the budget end.

Shaun if you have any specific Qs give me a nudge. Can't promise to have the answer but you never know.

BTW within a week or so I'm going to have Daslight running on an eeetop - so it'll be touch driven rather than trying to use a mouse/trackpad. I think this will make a huge difference when running 'live' and will mean much more variation and interactivity from me.