PDA

View Full Version : Public Liability Insurance

Starlight
15-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi folks.

I need to get some public liability insurance for my disco.
Ideally I'd like 10 million pound cover, is there anywhere
that offers good rates?

Best wishes,

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please use the search - there are loads of threads about this on here.

Starlight
16-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Please use the search - there are loads of threads about this on here.

Will do, cheers mate.

Best wishes,

Neil.

501damian501
16-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Will do, cheers mate.

Best wishes,

Neil.

pm sent

Roy James
19-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi there, why 10 million pound cover? Fine if you wipe out the whole audiance!
but what really are the chances of that.
I have got 3 million pound cover, hope I never have to use it, but it should cover most situations.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi there, why 10 million pound cover? Fine if you wipe out the whole audiance!
but what really are the chances of that.
I have got 3 million pound cover, hope I never have to use it, but it should cover most situations.

A lot of companies ask for 10m these days.

Ask yourself this. If you burnt down a Hotel or injured and killed someone, would you have enough cover?

discomobiledj
19-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Go for NADJ.

Tom
19-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Had a call yesterday from a guy from a well known bank. The first question was do I have PLI and how much. I said I have £10 Million and he asked if he could see a copy of my insurance. I sent him an email while on the phone to confirm this and he was happy that I had what he asked for.

DeckstarDeluxe
19-03-2009, 09:51 PM
my dj guard insurance is up for renewal and belive i only have two million :(

I have never been asked for this though being in cheltenham there are a few LISTED buildings which im led to belive do ask for ten million PLI

Starlight
19-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Ask yourself this. If you burnt down a Hotel or injured and killed someone, would you have enough cover?

:agree:

Best wishes,

Neil.

JTRS
20-03-2009, 02:13 PM
For many years I had PL cover for £2 million, but for some reason a lot of venues last year asked for a minimum cover level of £5 million.

The CIS offer, in my opinion, a good policy that costs £132 for the year.

Hope this helps

JTRS

discomobiledj
20-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Or try Simply Business.

501damian501
20-03-2009, 10:56 PM
For many years I had PL cover for £2 million, but for some reason a lot of venues last year asked for a minimum cover level of £5 million.

Hope this helps

JTRS

you need a minimum of 5million to do work at council venues, or to do any work alongside a council. anything under 5million isnt worth the paper its written on!

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-03-2009, 07:56 AM
you need a minimum of 5million to do work at council venues,

You know this for a fact do you?

Corabar Steve
21-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Yep, fairgrounds tend to be council owned. :sj:

Bouncy Dancefloor
22-03-2009, 01:33 AM
i think its 5million minimum for council venues round here, but some ask for ten

soundtracker
22-03-2009, 08:15 AM
There is no blanket figure that covers all areas, each council determines its own level. Around here they don't ask for anything even when you are in the Town Hall!!

discomobiledj
22-03-2009, 08:27 AM
There is no blanket figure that covers all areas, each council determines its own level. Around here they don't ask for anything even when you are in the Town Hall!!

Same here

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-03-2009, 08:50 AM

Hence the comment....

You know this for a fact do you?

I really wish people would get their facts straight before posting sometimes.

501damian501
22-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep, fairgrounds tend to be council owned. :sj:

yeah we lease the land from the council or privately owned cricket grounds/ sports fields, and for the bouncy castles you need a min of 5million and for the rides a min of 15million, but you can get away with 10million on some cases...

i was told myself afew years back from an council offical, that you need a min of 5million to work with the council, ect ect.

Corabar Steve
22-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Probably correct too, for that particular council.

501damian501
22-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Probably correct too, for that particular council.

thats with most councils, everytime we build up health and saftey comes round, we have to dig up the ground to cover up our cables, pieces of packing/wood cannot over hang no more than 6inchs i believe it is, very very tight and tough regulations, and basicly its same as here, put up or shut up!

we even pay to use common land :eek:

but theirs some advantages

you dont have to pay ground rent on the days your not open, hence some fairs only open thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, monday then gone by tuesday morning, this happens at fairs which arnt so sucessfull.

another one is, when you take out fiance to buy your new ride, certain "showman" companys let you not pay anything in winter, for about 2months only though.

CRAZY K
22-03-2009, 11:37 AM
yeah we lease the land from the council or privately owned cricket grounds/ sports fields, and for the bouncy castles you need a min of 5million and for the rides a min of 15million, but you can get away with 10million on some cases...

i was told myself afew years back from an council offical, that you need a min of 5million to work with the council, ect ect.

The requirements of the Council would vary im sure between Contractors engaged in hazardous work like Fairground Rides and Bouncy Castles as compared to a fairly harmless Mobile Disco.

We have just taken on a small job for the Accrington Council--no mention of PAT let alone PLI! its only a Barn Dance mind you.

The performers will have cover but theres no mention of anything required so far.

Sadly theres no indication that VERY MANY Public or Private bodies are clamping down -I really wish they would--then the serious people in the business could really raise standards.

My website suggests dont deal with cheap amateurs--WE DO SPELL OUT THE RISKS OF USING PEOPLE WITHOUT INSURANCE---:D

CRAZY K

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Hope this helps

JTRS
Hi do they have a website? If so, could you please point me in the right direction?

501damian501
22-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi do they have a website? If so, could you please point me in the right direction?

i just have the right insurance for you my friend :D

http://www.djassociates.org/signup/use/DJAssociates/join%201.html

plus you get a discount if your 21 like myself and yourself :D

loads of extra benifits, jobs a good one...;)

just buy me a pint or send a cheque in the post, hahaha

CRAZY K
22-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Insurers

DJ Associates is pleased to announce that Hencilla Canworth Ltd. is the preferred supplier of Insurance and Financial Services.

Fine, who exactly are these people as I have never heard of them.

Also they are only advisers--they dont actually underwrite this scheme--- unless they have their own separate Insurance Company

Im not saying theres anything wrong with them but personally I would like to know who I was insured with ---someone I have heard of would be nice.

Bearing in mind in these troubled financial times the biggest insurance Company in the world AIG in America is apparently bankrupt:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just a thought.

CRAZY K

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Hmm.. I found these people before but I'm not sure how 'proper' they are. Does anyone use them or know anything about them?

I'm a bit skeptical about sites like that. Who provides the PLI and stuff?? Looks like a good offer, but is it too good to be true??

501damian501
22-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Hmm.. I found these people before but I'm not sure how 'proper' they are. Does anyone use them or know anything about them?

I'm a bit skeptical about sites like that. Who provides the PLI and stuff?? Looks like a good offer, but is it too good to be true??

i believe it has something to do with an owner of another dj forum...

[Sorry, no links to similar sites]

the 3rd link down...

the pli cover comes from an independant insurance broker, the owner of the forum, clearly has a good deal with them and in return offers his members cheap pli and the rest of it, and also the general public.

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Thank you for the info Damian :)

501damian501
22-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the info Damian :)

your welcome...

Babybob
22-03-2009, 12:57 PM
another one is, when you take out fiance to buy your new ride, certain "showman" companys let you not pay anything in winter, for about 2months only though.

Is your girlfriend loaded then Damian. :D :D

501damian501
22-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Is your girlfriend loaded then Damian. :D :D

ive i done it wrong, maybe could help if i could spell it in the first place lol, i wish she was loaded, then i could have that waltzer and orbitor which i want :D

read this...

Only great minds can read this
This is
weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna
raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55
plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty
uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid,
aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht
oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit
and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you
can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not
raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and
I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Haven't you already made a thread about this???

Roy James
22-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I dont think theres much chance of burning down a hotel! maybe if your equipments not up to scratch, but thought that was the idea of PAT certs.
If a hotel asked me for 10 million PLI, Ide say 'YOUR AVIN A LAUGH' Theres to much of this from hotels, you cant do that, you must have this, they would soon get there act together if DJ's refused to play there.

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 01:22 PM
What would happen though if you only had 2 Million PLI, and your gear suddenly started a fire and burnt down the hotel injuring or even killing someone?

You would probably have wished you would of had 10 million :)

Corabar Steve
22-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Haven't you already made a thread about this???
Yes.

501damian501
22-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I dont think theres much chance of burning down a hotel! maybe if your equipments not up to scratch, but thought that was the idea of PAT certs.
If a hotel asked me for 10 million PLI, Ide say 'YOUR AVIN A LAUGH' Theres to much of this from hotels, you cant do that, you must have this, they would soon get there act together if DJ's refused to play there.

no not really, they,ll just find a dj like myself who can forfill their requirements, your loss another persons gain...

soundtracker
22-03-2009, 01:57 PM

You don't need to burn down a hotel, just let your trussing system fall on to the heads of a few punters and have a look at how much your sued for! I really fail to see why this is such an issue to anyone who views them self as a professional when you can get £10million for under a £100 which is LESS than £2 a week.

Insurers

DJ Associates is pleased to announce that Hencilla Canworth Ltd. is the preferred supplier of Insurance and Financial Services.

Fine, who exactly are these people as I have never heard of them.

CRAZY K

They are the same firm that the MU use, and I believe its done through Royal Sun Alliance who you may have heard of.

CRAZY K
22-03-2009, 02:00 PM
i believe it has something to do with an owner of another dj forum...

[Sorry, no links to similar sites]

the 3rd link down...

the pli cover comes from an independant insurance broker, the owner of the forum, clearly has a good deal with them and in return offers his members cheap pli and the rest of it, and also the general public.

The question still stands-who insures you?

To get PLI for say £50 for 10 million cover is extremely cheap--

I assume the DJ Association need to kop £25 to stay afloat.

Considering the best I can get from a solid well known Insurance Company through DJ guard is £130 for 5 million and part of the kit insured for £1,000.

If you intend to take the offer I would check it out first.

Mind you a friend who is a Musician has just covered himself for £1 million PLI
with Music guard for £26:eek:

Bit of a waste of time but its apparently enough for the Bobsleigh Hotel, Bovingdon, near Hemel Hempstead---if anyone knows it?

Doesnt someone on here work there?

CRAZY K

501damian501
22-03-2009, 02:02 PM
You don't need to burn down a hotel, just let your trussing system fall on to the heads of a few punters and have a look at how much your sued for! I really fail to see why this is such an issue to anyone who views them self as a professional when you can get £10million for under a £100 which is LESS than £2 a week.

They are the same firm that the MU use, and I believe its done through Royal Sun Alliance who you may have heard of.

i allways used to get old the famous question, is this ride safe, do you have the correct insurances, my reply NO, just to see their face go :eek:

Corabar Steve
22-03-2009, 02:22 PM
the Bobsleigh Hotel, Bovingdon, near Hemel Hempstead---if anyone knows it?

Not any more, they went with a cheaper supplier

CRAZY K
22-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Not any more, they went with a cheaper supplier

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sign of the times I guess.

CRAZY K

501damian501
22-03-2009, 02:48 PM
The question still stands-who insures you?

To get PLI for say £50 for 10 million cover is extremely cheap--

I assume the DJ Association need to kop £25 to stay afloat.

Considering the best I can get from a solid well known Insurance Company through DJ guard is £130 for 5 million and part of the kit insured for £1,000.

If you intend to take the offer I would check it out first.

Mind you a friend who is a Musician has just covered himself for £1 million PLI
with Music guard for £26:eek:

Bit of a waste of time but its apparently enough for the Bobsleigh Hotel, Bovingdon, near Hemel Hempstead---if anyone knows it?

CRAZY K

yeah i know, hence i need to get it before 16th/08, then i have a years worth dirt cheap, :D

blitz
22-03-2009, 06:36 PM
The DJA PLI is definetly through royal sunAlliance as mentioned before, so not a nameless company

SilverlineDiscos
22-03-2009, 06:46 PM
So if I was to actually go through DJ associates for PLI etc I would be covered profesionaly like any other company??

Jiggles
22-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Go though NADJ. Pro Mobile Subscription, PLI, Advice and the AGM as well :D