PDA

View Full Version : Lasers without key switch

501damian501
16-03-2009, 10:39 PM
looking from this, this is what people use if their imported laser doesnt have a key switch http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350179193546&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200320046964&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4 carry to be honest...

why not just get an key switch installed :confused: , it has to be cheaper.

nigelwright7557
16-03-2009, 10:44 PM
looking from this, this is what people use if their imported laser doesnt have a key switch http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350179193546&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=200320046964&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4 carry to be honest...

An external method is better coz you dont have to interfere with the laser to add a switch.
As soon as you alter the laser innards your warranty will go down the pan !

Vectis
16-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Or £3...

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/switched-plugtop/dp/PL10037?in_merch=Featured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001

I bought a bunch of these when they were in the specials catalogue for £1.99 and they're invaluable. Not that I use them with lasers because all mine have keys fitted and are DMX'd, but for other stuff. I use a few as footswitches plugged into a 6-way strip and they work a treat! Not broken one yet...

501damian501
16-03-2009, 11:02 PM
An external method is better coz you dont have to interfere with the laser to add a switch.

thats a myth, you get a parts warranty, the product doesnt get sent back to the manufacture, its just a way of the shops voiding a warrenty...

the manufacture just sends you the parts out free on your next order with them, or just sends them out straight away, so your stuck with one broken laser and a new part, send the customer a new one, get the broken one fixed, then sell it, simple as that.

i was led to believe by some regulations, the laser had to have a key switch install on the back ???, so it couldnt be used by the wrong hands..

nigelwright7557
16-03-2009, 11:22 PM
thats a myth, you get a parts warranty, the product doesnt get sent back to the manufacture, its just a way of the shops voiding a warrenty...

the manufacture just sends you the parts out free on your next order with them, or just sends them out straight away, so your stuck with one broken laser and a new part, send the customer a new one, get the broken one fixed, then sell it, simple as that.

i was led to believe by some regulations, the laser had to have a key switch install on the back ???, so it couldnt be used by the wrong hands..

I have yet to have been left with a duff unit as well as a new working one !

My laser has a key but it doesnt need to be in to make it work.
I would probably leave the key at home so it doesnt get lost or nicked !

Other than the odd wee or drink I dont leave my gear unattended.

Tom
16-03-2009, 11:28 PM

Well whats the point of having a safty feature if you dont need the key to make it work?

Kind of defeats the object of the exercise.

501damian501
16-03-2009, 11:28 PM

the duff unit, gets sent back to the seller being me or your local disco shop, then they send you another one... see how it works now ?

basicly nothing gets sent back to china/japan...

nigelwright7557
16-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Well whats the point of having a safty feature if you dont need the key to make it work?

Kind of defeats the object of the exercise.

Exactly !

501damian501
16-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Exactly !

sounds like a fault to me, what type of laser is this ?

nigelwright7557
17-03-2009, 12:03 AM
sounds like a fault to me, what type of laser is this ?

KAM 3D star cluster.

djdarren
17-03-2009, 06:43 AM

there is one glitch in what you are saying there.

if you open anything and there is visual signs how can you prove you have not damaged the unit yourself and it is down to manufacturing defects that has caused the fault.

simple rule of the thumb.... if something is faulty under warranty dont have a look yourself return it to the store

ps a lot of lasers on the market can be turned on then have the key removed when the unit is in the on position

Alchemy
17-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Or £3...

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/switched-plugtop/dp/PL10037?in_merch=Featured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001

I bought a bunch of these when they were in the specials catalogue for £1.99 and they're invaluable. Not that I use them with lasers because all mine have keys fitted and are DMX'd, but for other stuff. I use a few as footswitches plugged into a 6-way strip and they work a treat! Not broken one yet...

Now that has to be one of the most useful piece of kit I've seen for a long time. I spent a long time sourcing a power bar with individual switched sockets, I really wish I'd seen these first.

Hell, I might just buy some anyway!

501damian501
17-03-2009, 11:51 AM
there is one glitch in what you are saying there.

if you open anything and there is visual signs how can you prove you have not damaged the unit yourself and it is down to manufacturing defects that has caused the fault.

simple rule of the thumb.... if something is faulty under warranty dont have a look yourself return it to the store

ps a lot of lasers on the market can be turned on then have the key removed when the unit is in the on position

why is their a glitch, i would be the store selling the lasers in the first place ??, i would just add a warrenty void sticker on the case, then i know if anyones had a look other than the professionals...

sleah
17-03-2009, 01:47 PM

:D OK if you DIY. I wouldn't fit a key switch to your laser for a mere £17 (inc parts:eek:) Who do you think I am? Sixteen Quid Sid:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If it's a cheapo rubbish import then who cares:p plus see other points above....
Spot on about warranty if it's a half decent unit from a reputable retailer/manufacturer.... but then it would already have one fitted.....:D

501damian501
17-03-2009, 01:52 PM
:D OK if you DIY. I wouldn't fit a key switch to your laser for a mere £17 (inc parts:eek:) Who do you think I am? Sixteen Quid Sid:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If it's a cheapo rubbish import then who cares:p plus see other points above....
Spot on about warranty if it's a half decent unit from a reputable retailer/manufacturer.... but then it would already have one fitted.....:D

their only fitted with a key switch for the uk and other parts, some parts of the world dont require a laser with a keyswitch, you have to think, where these things get made, compaired to our regulations is totally different...

Starlight
22-03-2009, 03:54 PM
this is what people use if their imported laser doesnt have a key switchkey switch installed

Tbh people should never buy a laser that doesn't have a key switch fitted onto the actual laser system. We at [ Link removed by admin - I'm getting tired of the constant plugs/self promoting ]understand that it is a legal requirement to have a safety key fitted to laser systems as standard. It's also worth noting that a lot of laser lighting fixtures from manufacturers and resellers on eBay are illegally selling laser fixtures because not only do their products not have safety key features fitted, their products also dont comply with RoHS, CE, WEEE, FDA and other very important international approvals. It might save you a few bucks if you buy from the far east but you'll be far more safer if you buy from a reputable UK company that have all the approvals in place. Also, it would be far easier to send your laser fixture to your local dealer where you bought it from to get it repaired. It would be very inconvenient and expensive for folks to return their fixture to the manufacturer abroad. Here at VPL, we carry out all repairs here in the UK and carry all parts here in the UK also.

The worst case scenario if you bought from the far east - you took your laser system to a gig, you get a complaint about your laser light and they try sue you. So you lodge a claim with your public liability insurance company. They'll probably ask you what caused the accident, you tell them that it was a laser light. They might ask you if that product has been properly approved and is legally been manufacturered to the highest standards. If they were to find out that your laser light is not approved with all the very important RoHS, CE, FDA etc, your public liability insurance might tell you to go away! Insurance will be thrown right out the window if your products arn't legally approved.

Be carefull, be very careful when considering buy fixtures, especially laser lights. I've personally looked into other laser brands like Equinox, like Kam, like Actor Mate etc, none of these brands mention anything about approvals, which is wrong, they need to tell consumers what approvals are in place on their products.

Hope this is of some help to you, please bear the information in-mind when going on a spending spree!

Best wishes,

Neil.

DJMaxG
17-04-2009, 10:03 PM

I am aware that the user has been banned, but I shall answer the question anyway incase other members have similar questions.

Lasers don't really need keyswitches, as the DJ will install them and take them away at the end of the gig. They are just put there really incase you may want to isolate it.

Starlight
19-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Lasers don't really need keyswitches

I totally disagree. All laser systems do need a safety switch. Its a legal requirement. They are installed on legal laser projectors so that if you have to leave your rig, you can turn off the laser via the key so that nobody else can tamper with it. If the laser havnt got a key switch installed, then its not a legal laser.

Neil.

OllieJames
19-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I totally disagree. All laser systems do need a safety switches. Its a legal requirement. They are installed on legal laser projectors so that if you have to leave your rig, you can turn off the laser via the key so that nobody else can tamper with it. If the laser havnt got a key switch installed, then its not a legal laser.

Neil.

I think it's highly unlikely that someone will go over to your rig and try and shine a laser in someones eye randomly?

The only thing i use the switch for is turning it off when i don't want to use it during a gig.

Pe7e
19-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Just out of interest, Lasers below class 3B do not need to have a key interlock fitted, many of the low powered lasers fall below this level