PDA

View Full Version : Bolting Down Disk Drives in Flightcase

welby
18-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi,

has anyone thought of a good way of bolting down disk drives and USB hubs into a flight case without damaging them.

Must be able to remove at short notice for updating etc.

Thought about cable ties, and even having a foam base with knockouts.

Might be time for some mecaanno :bang:

I'm stumped :eek:

Vectis
18-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I use a pre-drilled shelf tray, then "strap" the units down to the tray using releasable (or non if you prefer) cable ties and sometimes double-sided sticky foam pads.

Something like this (http://www.counterpointdirect.co.uk/Proel_Rack_Tray_2U_Drilled_p/w-pau006w.htm)
:beer1:

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Link not working Martin?

ppentertainments
18-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I asked a similar question not too long ago. There were quite a few 'engineering' answers.

In the end I opted for velcro. Seems a bit of a cowboy solution but has worked fine for the past few months. Make sure you use good quality velcro - and plenty of it, and your hard drive will not budge but can be removed for updating etc.

Vectis
18-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Link not working Martin?

Updated - ta.

Velcro also works but it needs to be the heavy-duty stuff and it ain't cheap.

501damian501
18-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi,

has anyone thought of a good way of bolting down disk drives and USB hubs into a flight case without damaging them.

yes, u1 rackmount case, mount the disk drives inside and run the wire outside, if the drives require power then just install a PSU... simple and effective

if you want to get flash, then you can wire up a usb socket to the drive(s) to the rear of the case, then from case to laplop, denon, cortex ect ect

or if you want to get really flashy, use an 2u case, with nice big fans inside, and hot swappable drive for updating, then all you need to do is pull out drive, mount in caddy dock, update then slide back into case and lock, simple agian... might cost afew pennys but keeps them hard drives safe!

prevention is better than cure!

CRAZY K
18-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi,

I have a miniature flight case for two external Hard drives and leads--which is simply a Maplins Aluminium Carrying case that happens to be a snug fit for the HDs and leads together with protective foam.

Gigged around for a few years--no problems:cool:

CRAZY K

Vectis
18-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a miniature flight case for two external Hard drives and leads--which is simply a Maplins Aluminium Carrying case that happens to be a snug fit for the HDs and leads together with protective foam.

Gigged around for a few years--no problems:cool:

CRAZY K

Good idea Alan.

I use these as flightcases for all kinds of stuff - lasers, projectors, video cameras, laptops - and they're pretty solid units. They're also on special offer at the mo £19.99. In the last 3 years the worst damage I've done is pull off a bit of trim when one got caught in the door mechanism of the van :beer1:

welby
18-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I use a pre-drilled shelf tray, then "strap" the units down to the tray using releasable (or non if you prefer) cable ties and sometimes double-sided sticky foam pads.

Something like this (http://www.counterpointdirect.co.uk/Proel_Rack_Tray_2U_Drilled_p/w-pau006w.htm)
:beer1:

Martin,

did you consider using a 1U sliding tray instead? Then you can just slide out and get to the drives easier. Just a thought.

Vectis
18-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Martin,

did you consider using a 1U sliding tray instead? Then you can just slide out and get to the drives easier. Just a thought.

Yep. But the sliding trays are HEAVY for what they are.

Corabar Steve
18-03-2009, 12:19 PM
My drives live in a foam lined briefcase, so they're not applicable, but my hubs are attached to the inside of my main console case with sticky backed Velcro™

Cj_The_Dj
18-03-2009, 03:58 PM
my mate uses a usb verson of this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ubsbnYNoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

with a cd drive next to it screw to a rack try. and a pice of wood across the top. works well and the hard drive can be removed from caddy to caddy.

DJMaxG
16-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Velcro, sticky pads, etc.

I think someone suggested a 1U rackmount shelf, they're good too, then just section it out so the drives just fit in snug into it.

The lockable rack mount draws are ideal, not sure you'd want something that big though.

BeerFunk
16-04-2009, 06:56 PM
I think someone suggested a 1U rackmount shelf, they're good too, then just section it out so the drives just fit in snug into it.Whether the drive sits on a shelf or the bottom of the case isn't the issue, it's securing it that is! Ideally you would want some kind of damping between the drive and the case, like a spring-loaded fixture, which would most likely need to be custom made.

Excalibur
16-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Hallelujah! :eek: :D :D Thank you a former member. ;) :D
As regards updating, if the mountain can't come to Excalibur, then Excalibur must go to the mountain.
If you have a laptop and a memory stick, then you take those to the HD mounted in your console. ;)
The clever bit, I hope, is rather than ferreting about inside the case you've spent so long geting the cables actually inside, fit plates on the case with USB conections, so that you either link them to join your HD to the hub, or HD to laptop. A browse round CPC arrears to be needed. ;)

Twinspin
20-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Or buy a denon hd2500 and fit a larger hdd. :D :p Problem Solved.

Or the credit crunch approach. Buy some bubble wrap and then wrap the hardisk in it and put it back in the case :D :p

On a more serious Note. Thats what im thinking about myself about mounting my hardisk inside.

a lockable keyboard drawer i think would be cool line the drawer with foam and cut an enclosure out of the foam at the back of the drawer for the hardisk and another piece out the front for the keyboard.

job done.

spin mobile disco
20-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Don't forget that external hard drives get quite hot and heat is the number 1 killer of hard drives (well that and dropping your decks down stairs see my post last december for that 1 ).
I use heavy duty velco for mine that cover the entire bottom of the drive. This in turn is on a custom made aluminium shelf (simply because my new case didnt have room to put them anywhere else)

The velcor is rated for 15kilos at 1 inch square, and as the drive is about 20 inches square that drive isnt going anywhere.

Even when my decks took a tumble it turned out that the drives where still ok and this wasnt a small tumble it totaled a road ready type case and just about everything survived except the case.

DJMaxG
20-04-2009, 09:08 PM
This might sound pathetic, but the plug-in hdds are really intended for Home Use, that's why if using a Numark DDS or similar media controller, I would prefer to use the Rack mount HDD that comes provided.

That way you can be sure it is well ventilated, and more importantly, it is covered by the Manafactures Guarantee.

djsteve10
20-04-2009, 09:40 PM
This might sound pathetic, but the plug-in hdds are really intended for Home Use, that's why if using a Numark DDS or similar media controller, I would prefer to use the Rack mount HDD that comes provided.

That way you can be sure it is well ventilated, and more importantly, it is covered by the Manafactures Guarantee.

What?

External hard drives are made for people who are transfering data from PC to PC, Laptop users,

There is no where that states on external hard drives that they are inteded for home use, Look at the Freecom drives, The Maxtor Tough Drives,

Also don't you think that manufactures wouldnt release a hard drive casing if they thought that it wasnt properly ventilated. In a flight case there is still alot of air circulation and air for the hard drive to circle.

I think you really need to get some evidence to back up your claims.

Vectis
20-04-2009, 11:13 PM
What?

External hard drives are made for people who are transfering data from PC to PC, Laptop users,

There is no where that states on external hard drives that they are inteded for home use, Look at the Freecom drives, The Maxtor Tough Drives,

Also don't you think that manufactures wouldnt release a hard drive casing if they thought that it wasnt properly ventilated. In a flight case there is still alot of air circulation and air for the hard drive to circle.

Surprised folks are still rising to his :BS: :zip:

Corabar Steve
20-04-2009, 11:40 PM

So you said elsewhere & if I recall correctly it was deleted for being a load of [insert third word from the title of the Sex Pistols only studio album here]

DJMaxG
20-04-2009, 11:42 PM
What?

There is no where that states on external hard drives that they are inteded for home use, Look at the Freecom drives, The Maxtor Tough Drives, That is Correct.

There is enough air circulation, Yes.

I don't need any evidence, this is not a claim, just my opinion.

This is obviously not legal advice, just my own opinion. They can get hot, and if in a flight case with a couple of 1000 watt amplifiers, It's not ideal.

With the fitted HDDs, they are made for that purpose, and you can be sure that they will work effectively, otherwise the manafactures wouldn't sell them.

These are better from a Security point of view, because you need a screw driver or key at the very least, where's the external one's, just yank a USB cable out and it's yours.

I wouldn't personally tape a hard drive down, I would rather use a fitted one, this reduces the chance of a bad connection with USB's, theft, problem with power supply etc.

Corabar Steve
20-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Max, what do you use & where do you use it?

Kit list please. What sort of gigs do you do?

DJMaxG
20-04-2009, 11:47 PM
[insert third word from the title of the Sex Pistols only studio album here]

huh :confused:

Corabar Steve
20-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Begins with b ends with s & has llc in the middle.

It's a word that seems to describe the content of most of your posts.

I'm beginning to thing that you don't actually have anything to do with the industry at all.

Excalibur
20-04-2009, 11:54 PM
So you said elsewhere & if I recall correctly it was deleted for being a load of [insert third word from the title of the Sex Pistols only studio album here]

huh :confused:

Bullocks. ;) Whoops, I think that was the Wurzels version. :D

I'm beginning to thing that you don't actually have anything to do with the industry at all.

Or that Nigel visited other places on his holidays. Max, do you by any chance have an Uncle Nigel? :confused: :confused:

Must type faster. :o :D :D

Corabar Steve
20-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Could http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-14278.gif (http://planetsmilies.net) it to find out.

Max thanks for your PM in reply to my question (although I'm stumped as to why you didn't reply in this thread). It does beg the question, why when you only use CDs & don't do mobile gigs do you feel that you can offer advice on this subject?

Excalibur
20-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Could http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-14278.gif (http://planetsmilies.net) it to find out.

Having to google it surely advertises your ignorance of something very basic? :confused:

Corabar Steve
21-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Like the title of the second punk album released in this country (by the most famous punk band ever)?

Vectis
21-04-2009, 12:05 AM
[insert third word from the title of the Sex Pistols only studio album here]

Bullocks. ;) Whoops, I think that was the Wurzels version. :D

Eh? Wot you lot talking about? The third word of the title of the aforementioned album is The :bang:

(in much the same way that Rupert Bear's middle name is The :p )

Excalibur
21-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Eh? Wot you lot talking about? The third word of the title of the aforementioned album is The :bang:

(in much the same way that Rupert Bear's middle name is The :p )

Don't blame me, Steve was counting. ;) Is he disnumerate? :confused:

DJMaxG
21-04-2009, 12:11 AM

Max thanks for your PM in reply to my question (although I'm stumped as to why you didn't reply in this thread). It does beg the question, why when you only use CDs & don't do mobile gigs do you feel that you can offer advice on this subject?

You could ask the same questions to anyone- Why buy an oven for your house if you're not a Chef
- Why own a lawn mower if you're not a Gardener

You do not have to do regular mobile functions to know about equipment, how to mix, Music Industry. There are a lot of DJs out there that produced well known hits in their bedrooms.

I own the equipment, I use it, therefore I should have the right to give out advice. And for the purposes of this thread, I own an External Hard drive.
It is an Iomega Terrabyte Drive, and very reliable.

Vectis
21-04-2009, 12:16 AM
I own the equipment, I use it, therefore I should have the right to give out advice.

They can get hot, and if in a flight case with a couple of 1000 watt amplifiers

So in your bedroom you have a pair of throbbing 1KW amps running flat out for several hours on end?

OK, fair enough.

DJMaxG
21-04-2009, 01:05 AM
So in your bedroom you have a pair of throbbing 1KW amps running flat out for several hours on end?

OK, fair enough.

Not literally in my bedroom, downstairs. I don't need that amount of Power. I can provide up to 700 watts though, with 2 systems combined.

Corabar Steve
22-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Eh? Wot you lot talking about? The third word of the title of the aforementioned album is The :bang: Nevermind the .... Here's the Sex Pistols (just had a look, there is a gap on the cover between never & mind)

quipment, I use it, therefore I should have the right to give out advice. And for the purposes of this thread, I own an External Hard drive.
It is an Iomega Terrabyte Drive, and very reliable.
Which is in a flightcase & being used for mobile gigs with a software controller/PC/HDC playout system????

Excalibur
22-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Which is in a flightcase & being used for mobile gigs with a software controller/PC/HDC playout system????

It's phone a friend time, Max. Most of us here know Steve's next question, if you answer "Yes". ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
23-04-2009, 07:39 AM
It's phone a friend time, Max. Most of us here know Steve's next question, if you answer "Yes". ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D
& if the answer is no, Steve gets to use the http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sign/sign0090.gif smilie :sj:

DJMaxG
23-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Nevermind the .... Here's the Sex Pistols (just had a look, there is a gap on the cover between never & mind)

You know full well, when reviewing my answers to this thread, that I would not attempt to stick a hard drive down inside a flight case.

I did not even say that I had a hard drive controller.

Excalibur
23-04-2009, 05:45 PM
You know full well, when reviewing my answers to this thread, that I would not attempt to stick a hard drive down inside a flight case.

Why not? :confused: :confused: :confused: I've got two. :confused: :confused:

DJMaxG
23-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Why not? :confused: :confused: :confused: I've got two. :confused: :confused:

I will probably get one eventually, but I am testing out different Software at the moment. So far Virtual DJ has been the easiest to use with no instructions, Traktor Pro said "Analysing" after loading each track into the deck, and I have tried another one called C3. C3 was quite good, simple layout, great features ... but probably not advanced enough for what you'd expect.

I am yet await to test Mixmeister, which there are more versions of than brands of Shampoo!

Excalibur
23-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Let me put it another way.

Why the :Censored: not? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Like I said, I've done this twice. I'm intrigued to know the inherent dangers.

Corabar Steve
23-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Let me put it another way.

Why the :Censored: not? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Like I said, I've done this twice. I'm intrigued to know the inherent dangers.
I'd like to know why he feels qualified to give advice on something he hasn't even tried doing himself?

Excalibur
24-04-2009, 06:23 AM
I'd like to know why he feels qualified to give advice on something he hasn't even tried doing himself?

I'm just desperate beyond words to know why I can't fix my HD's into my flightcase. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DJMaxG
24-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm just desperate beyond words to know why I can't fix my HD's into my flightcase. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

No one said you couldn't fix them into a case, but I find it pointless buying domestic hard drives, when you can get them fitted. Like the DN HD2500, Numark DDS80 etc.

It is the users discretion, whatever works best for you.

Corabar Steve
24-04-2009, 09:06 AM
but I find it pointless buying domestic hard drives, when you can get them fitted. Like the DN HD2500, Numark DDS80 etc.
What a load of codswallop! The internal drives on those are nowhere near big enough to fit my or most other MP3 / WAV based DJs collections

I really wish you'd stop commenting on stuff that you have absolutely no experience of, one day somebody might actually believe it & get steered completely up the wrong path.

DJMaxG
24-04-2009, 09:21 AM
What a load of codswallop! The internal drives on those are nowhere near big enough to fit my or most other MP3 / WAV based DJs collections

I really wish you'd stop commenting on stuff that you have absolutely no experience of, one day somebody might actually believe it & get steered completely up the wrong path.

That's why they are upgradable, the Numark DDS80 can be upgraded to a terrabyte, you would never fill it all.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-04-2009, 10:06 AM
That's why they are upgradable, the Numark DDS80 can be upgraded to a terrabyte, you would never fill it all.

How do you know that?

You don't know how many tracks people have in their collections and whether they are ripped to wav or 320kbps etc.

Please start thinking about what you are posting.

Excalibur
24-04-2009, 11:19 AM
No one said you couldn't fix them into a case, but I find it pointless buying domestic hard drives, when you can get them fitted. Like the DN HD2500, Numark DDS80 etc.

It is the users discretion, whatever works best for you.

Ah, so now I understand. :D Which drive would you suggest as suitable for internal fitment into my brace of Cortexes? I ask this as I'm not very well up on this sort of thing. :confused:

DJMaxG
24-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Ah, so now I understand. :D Which drive would you suggest as suitable for internal fitment into my brace of Cortexes? I ask this as I'm not very well up on this sort of thing. :confused:

Not all Media Controllers accept a fitted hard drive.
This is just my opinion, you do not have to follow any advice given.

It is not impossible to fill a hdd Darren, it is just unlikely.

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-04-2009, 01:41 PM
It is not impossible to fill a hdd Darren, it is just unlikely.

In your opinion. You have neither facts or figures to back this up.

visualdjmax
24-04-2009, 01:48 PM

I don't know I think that I am getting pretty close!!!!!

DazzyD
05-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Traktor Pro said "Analysing" after loading each track into the deck

That's because that's what Tracktor does. It's a pretty good feature of the softward.

I've been ripping my personal music collection since the dawn of MP3 and I now have 2x500gb, 2x250gb and and 1x80gb drives. They are not all full but there is just over 1TB of storage space used between the drives. Admittedly, some tracks are duplicated as I've bought many compilation albums in the past (especially rock compilation CDs).

Then again, these drives also contain my cover scans (I always scan the covers - front, back and insides - for reference) so I probably haven't reached 1TB of audio... yet! ;)