PDA

View Full Version : Denon or hard drive?

Penfold42
24-03-2009, 02:49 PM
OK then, slight problem with the Denon :o well not the Denon I think it's the hard drive.

I’ve hooked the hard drive up to the unit and I seem to get a ‘flickering light’ on the 250g sign on the front – hard drive is a Freecom 250 – when connected to the unit it seems to take a long time finding and loading the track to play.

It has also dropped out of the track playing. Then it start’s up again saying link.
Also there is a USB flashing on the front of the unit.

I first thought that this is the USB power lead but have now checked this to only find it is not faulty.
I use the same USB hub on both Denon’s (Advent 2.00 with 4 usb’s) – could it be this? Although I’m confused why it would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SilverlineDiscos
24-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I might be wrong, but the symptoms the drive is giving indicates that it might be about to konk out. Most hard drives will give a good indication as to when they will fail in the near future but taking a long time to load and sometimes not load at all.

As I said, I don't know the unit so I could be stabbing in the dark here but it sounds like the drive is about to give up the ghost :(

ppentertainments
24-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Have you tried de-fragmenting and clean the drive ??? I done mine and it made a huge difference when using with the superior cortex.

Penfold42
24-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I might be wrong, but the symptoms the drive is giving indicates that it might be about to konk out. Most hard drives will give a good indication as to when they will fail in the near future but taking a long time to load and sometimes not load at all.

As I said, I don't know the unit so I could be stabbing in the dark here but it sounds like the drive is about to give up the ghost :(
I've just plugged it into the laptop.....runs as sweet as a nut.:)

Have you tried de-fragmenting and clean the drive ??? I done mine and it made a huge difference when using with the superior cortex.

Ah....never thought of that......doing that now.:)

Superior Cortex......get a grip man....:D :D :D :D

Excalibur
24-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure that the laptop will be a good fault finding comparison. The light on the HD can often flash as a sign of activity. Different types may flash at different rates. If possible, swapping with your other Denon would provide a more accurate swap. See if the fault moves with the HD, or stays with the hub, or the Denon. I'm not sure, but is it possible that the HD "sleeps". I think this can cause disconnection. Are both Denons on the same firmware? I updated one of mine, and so far this has removed a very similar problem to what you describe.

Penfold42
24-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure that the laptop will be a good fault finding comparison. The light on the HD can often flash as a sign of activity. Different types may flash at different rates. If possible, swapping with your other Denon would provide a more accurate swap. See if the fault moves with the HD, or stays with the hub, or the Denon. I'm not sure, but is it possible that the HD "sleeps". I think this can cause disconnection. Are both Denons on the same firmware? I updated one of mine, and so far this has removed a very similar problem to what you describe.

The same thought had crossed my mind. I'm doing a defrag on the laptop and then will try it with both head unit's as i've not tried this yet.

The two head units are running different firmware.....so not sure if that's a problem but I think not.....might be wrong.
One with the latest and one not with the upgrade.

The other option is to wipe the hard drive and start again ......so plenty of options all round.

ppentertainments
24-03-2009, 07:07 PM
The other option is to wipe the hard drive and start again ......so plenty of options all round.
I was actually about to mention that. I formatted one of my hard drives which was playing up and it made such a difference

Excalibur
24-03-2009, 07:08 PM
The same thought had crossed my mind. I'm doing a defrag on the laptop and then will try it with both head unit's as i've not tried this yet.

The two head units are running different firmware.....so not sure if that's a problem but I think not.....might be wrong.
One with the latest and one not with the upgrade.

I'd keep that option as a very very last resort. Money's on firmware, but that's just a feeling.

Penfold42
24-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I might be a plank here but something has just crossed my mind. :o

The other Denon has the new firmware installed on the head unit BUT the hard drive has the old firmware on it.......:doh:

My guess is it's that.....anyone?

Excalibur
24-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I might be a plank here but something has just crossed my mind. :o

The other Denon has the new firmware installed on the head unit BUT the hard drive has the old firmware on it.......:doh:

My guess is it's that.....anyone?

I think you may be confusing things here, unless the Denon runs very differently to the Cortex. The HD uses a Database program, and the head unit an Operating System ( in my opinion) I could be mistaken.

Penfold42
24-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I think you may be confusing things here,

I think it's been a long day.....i'll sleep on it. :)

Thanks so far. :)

Excalibur
24-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I think it's been a long day.....i'll sleep on it. :)

Thanks so far. :)

Come on Vectis, we need you. :D :D

Excalibur
26-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I've not found anything directly related to this on the Denon forum. Might be worth Tony posting his experiences on there. How you getting on mate?

Penfold42
26-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I've not found anything directly related to this on the Denon forum. Might be worth Tony posting his experiences on there. How you getting on mate?

I'm not......:(

I've done a defrag...but same problem...:(

Friday i'll know better as I get all the gear out and really have a play.
I'll let you know then.:)

ppentertainments
26-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Or buy a Cortex ............:sofa:

I am having a play with a Denon tomorrow night as am slowly turning so will see what its like.

Penfold42
26-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I am having a play with a Denon tomorrow night as am slowly turning so will see what its like.

You won't look back. :)

Excalibur
26-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Or buy a Cortex ............:sofa:

You won't look back. :)

I can't help thinking that if a manufacturer brought out a machine with two large separate displays, with an internal Hard Drive, and many of the features of Numark and Denon, without some of the bells and whistles, they'd sell a shipload. ;)

ppentertainments
26-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I can't help thinking that if a manufacturer brought out a machine with two large separate displays, with an internal Hard Drive, and many of the features of Numark and Denon, without some of the bells and whistles, they'd sell a shipload. ;)
:agree: The main reason for choosing the cortex was the split screen, yet I like the crate facility on the Numark and the key layout and easy read screen of the Denon.

Excalibur
26-03-2009, 09:37 PM
:agree: The main reason for choosing the cortex was the split screen, yet I like the crate facility on the Numark and the key layout and easy read screen of the Denon.

Absolutely agree. When is somebody going to build one? :confused:

My serious observation is that especially as you have mentioned the separate screens, I wonder if, like me, you will struggle ( only initially in your case I suspect) with the Numark/Denon layout?

Twinspin
26-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I struggled a bit with the hd2500 when i got it trying to find out how it works.
the best way to do it is set it up and have a play a bit of practice time with it makes perfect.

By the 1st gig within a day of getting it. I was very confident with it and i can find anything i wanted within seconds.

The screen on the denon honestly is small but its really not that bad trying looking at it.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/Twinspindj/P020407_1154.jpg

excuse the bitrate it was just to experiment.

rob1963
26-03-2009, 10:59 PM
The main reason for choosing the cortex was the split screen, yet I like the crate facility on the Numark and the key layout and easy read screen of the Denon.

Absolutely agree. When is somebody going to build one?

Have a word with Nigel.

My serious observation is that especially as you have mentioned the separate screens, I wonder if, like me, you will struggle ( only initially in your case I suspect) with the Numark/Denon layout?

I doubt it.

I went from a dual CD player with 2 screens to the D2 with one screen, and got used to it within about 5 minutes.

In reality there is little difference between two separate screens and a single screen which is split at the top.

Penfold42
27-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Well a defrag looks likes it done the trick....well at home anyway.
We shall see Saturday.....:)

Jiggles
27-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't think its the Denon or the Hard Drive. Its the user :p

Penfold42
27-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't think its the Denon or the Hard Drive. Its the user :p

Dream on D2 philistine........grow up and get a "man's" playout......:ner:

Jiggles
27-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Only real DJs know how to use the simplicity of the D2 :D so :ner: to you too.

Penfold42
27-03-2009, 10:07 PM

I can see that's the case with you Callum......simplicity......yes.....

Only because you blow everything else up! :eek: :D

Jiggles
27-03-2009, 10:11 PM
My Mackies are still working fine. Still in one piece! :p

Penfold42
27-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Saucer of milk?

:D

Jiggles
27-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Wooosh!

Penfold42
27-03-2009, 10:22 PM
GO TO BED CALLUM!

It's late and your hijacking my thread....if you carry on i'll throw you in the sin bin :p .........

CRAZY K
27-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Sincerely hope so--

Seems a bit unlikely :eek:

See how it goes and good luck with it:D

CRAZY K

Jiggles
27-03-2009, 10:24 PM
GO TO BED CALLUM!

It's late and your hijacking my thread....if you carry on i'll throw you in the sin bin :p .........

No :D

Sinbin me and ill ban you :D :P

Penfold42
27-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Sincerely hope so--

I know ....but I do have complete faith with my 1st unit.....and also have a laptop at hand.

:luck:

Sinbin me and ill ban you :D :P
PMSL.

Excalibur
28-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm not......:(

I've done a defrag...but same problem...:(

Friday i'll know better as I get all the gear out and really have a play.
I'll let you know then.:)

:confused: :confused:

Sincerely hope so--

CRAZY K
I'd take the Cortex for peace of mind Tone. ;)

Corabar Steve
28-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Only simple DJs know how to use the simplicity of the D2 :D so :ner: to you too.
Couldn't have put it better myself :sj:

Excalibur
28-03-2009, 09:07 AM

Couldn't have put it better myself :sj:

And only aged, balding, bewildered old DJ's have to use the only player they can understand. :o :o :o

Penfold42
29-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Right .....I did 2 defrag's, removed Cortex software from the hard drive and retagged all the tracks....no problem now, no flashing light, no drop out...even used it for a full 90 minutes.....gone.

How very strange....:confused:

Excalibur
29-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Right .....I did 2 defrag's, removed Cortex software from the hard drive and retagged all the tracks....no problem now, no flashing light, no drop out...even used it for a full 90 minutes.....gone.

How very strange....:confused:

Glad to hear it. :approve: With hindsight, you've only made one mistake, which was not doing it all one step at a time, so you could isolate the offending component. Unless of course, it was a cumulative effect?

It's nice that you've not had to alter firmware, as you said. if it ain't broke........:D :D

Fingers crossed for both of us eh? Since I upgraded Cortex2 when it had driven me crazy, it's been good as gold. :D

DJMaxG
07-04-2009, 04:58 PM
A Tip of Advice :

These external hard drives that you can get from Argos or Staples etc, are designed mainly for home use, or offices etc that type of thing.

For Digital music files, it is better to have an inbuilt hard disk drive, like the Denon HD2500, HS5500, Numark DDS80, etc.

An external device WILL work, but there is no guarantee. At least you know with a fitted one, that there are less chances of it going wrong in any way atall really.

Tom
07-04-2009, 05:05 PM
A Tip of Advice :

These external hard drives that you can get from Argos or Staples etc, are designed mainly for home use, or offices etc that type of thing.

For Digital music files, it is better to have an inbuilt hard disk drive, like the Denon HD2500, HS5500, Numark DDS80, etc.

An external device WILL work, but there is no guarantee. At least you know with a fitted one, that there are less chances of it going wrong in any way atall really.

So that means that any HD on the market is of no use to a mobile DJ??? I don't really know of any dedicated HD's for DJ's but I did use the Freecom Tough Drive, which is a great bit of kit

The internal HD in the Denon HD2500 is only 40gb but this can be changed but you loose your warranty. You can use a max size hd of 120gb or 160gb. Not sure.

Also, some people like to use a high bitrate, so if you have 12000 tracks at 320kbps, that is going to use up a lot of space, hence why people are going for large 500gb hard drive and bigger.

Corabar Steve
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM
A Tip of Advice :

http://www.freewebby.com/sign-smilies/bs.gif

Apart from anything else my collection wouldn't fit on the internal HD of the HD2500.

Do you actually have any knolwdge of any of the subjects that you have posted on in order to boost your post count????

Excalibur
08-04-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.freewebby.com/sign-smilies/bs.gif

Apart from anything else my collection wouldn't fit on the internal HD of the HD2500.

Do you actually have any knolwdge of any of the subjects that you have posted on in order to boost your post count????

Hey! Not fair! :mad: Nobody ever said we had to actually know about what we post on here. :( :( :( :(
Now I can't give computer advice anymore. :o :o :o :o :o