PDA

View Full Version : Crowd Scan Laser

DJWilson
25-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi,

Ive started my own U18 events and want to look into buying a flat/crowd scan laser. A green one.

(instead of borrowing a image laser)

Im not to bothered on cost if the laser is worth every penny.

Thanks

OllieJames
28-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Not bothered on cost? Have you looked at the KAM F-Scan lasers? They're really smooth and there are some good videos on youtube of them. I wouldn't go pointing them into the crowd though.

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2976

Pe7e
28-03-2009, 09:16 AM
This is the best resource on Laser Safety (http://www.lasershowsafety.com/) I've seen in recent times. Regarding crowd scanning, unless you are 100% certain you are not subjecting them to harmful levels of radiation, DON'T. A low powered laser performing a fan or tunnel scan should be safe, but don't assume it to be. If during the 'show' your laser transits into a single beam, and most do, then it probably is not safe to have it pointing into the crowd. I've seen many DJ's using their lasers in what I consider to be a potentially dangerous manner. From a practical point of view, it actually looks better if you project a flat fan above the heads of the crowd, the moment the beam goes into the crowd it is killed. the recommended minimum height is 3m above the ground, but IMO this can be lowered a bit in most circumstances, unless you are using a powerful laser

CRAZY K
28-03-2009, 10:22 AM
This is the best resource on Laser Safety (http://www.lasershowsafety.com/) I've seen in recent times. Regarding crowd scanning, unless you are 100% certain you are not subjecting them to harmful levels of radiation, DON'T. A low powered laser performing a fan or tunnel scan should be safe, but don't assume it to be. If during the 'show' your laser transits into a single beam, and most do, then it probably is not safe to have it pointing into the crowd. I've seen many DJ's using their lasers in what I consider to be a potentially dangerous manner. From a practical point of view, it actually looks better if you project a flat fan above the heads of the crowd, the moment the beam goes into the crowd it is killed. the recommended minimum height is 3m above the ground, but IMO this can be lowered a bit in most circumstances, unless you are using a powerful laser

Thats interesting--I have been trying to get some guidance on using Lasers--

I am considering the KAM Cluster, what are the regulations on using it--presumably it must NOT be directly at the audience?

Problem is so many gigs have rubbish walls and ceilings to project on to.

thanks

CRAZY K

DJWilson
28-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Im getting one of those glass filters which blocks the Mw and still keeps the beam strength on the crowd but complety safe, on one of Briansredd's vids.

Pe7e
28-03-2009, 11:22 AM
That's interesting--I have been trying to get some guidance on using Lasers--

I am considering the KAM Cluster, what are the regulations on using it--presumably it must NOT be directly at the audience?

Problem is so many gigs have rubbish walls and ceilings to project on to.

thanks

CRAZY K

Here's more reading on Audience Scanning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audience_scanning) The KAM star cluster is a 3B class of laser which means it's output is potentially dangerous, but considering it has a huge beam divergence IMO I don't think it would pose much of a risk if mounted high and pointed at the floor.

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't go pointing them into the crowd though.

Funny that someone should mention that.......again :D

I was down at a dance event least weekend (atomik weekender) and the arenas were very very impressive. One of the arenas had two moving head lasers, which were scanning the crowd. I got chance to soeak to one of the lighting engineers at the end and had a good crack with him. Mentioned the laser hitting the crowd and got a nice big laugh....followed by words along the lines of "thats the typical knee jerk statement from people who dont uinderstand lasers and the H&S attached to them". Appanantly as the laser is never static and the "beam" focused on one place then there are no issues. The laser never scanned the crowd at a slow speed and was constantly moving.

To be honest, im slightly inclined to believe a multi-million pound company who supplies the systems for nearly all of the "super-clubs", tour systems for top djs and groups and are even providing the system for Tiestos upcoming London open-air event!

OllieJames
28-03-2009, 12:09 PM
To be honest, im slightly inclined to believe a multi-million pound company who supplies the systems for nearly all of the "super-clubs", tour systems for top djs and groups and are even providing the system for Tiestos upcoming London open-air event!

Yeah agreed. IMO, aslong as the laser is moving at all times then i don't see an issue with it, but then again, i don't make up the H&S rules & regs. :P

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah agreed. IMO, aslong as the laser is moving at all times then i don't see an issue with it, but then again, i don't make up the H&S rules & regs. :P

Im guessing that these guys know the regs inside and out with the size of the outfit. It was very impressive what they done :)

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Not bothered on cost? Have you looked at the KAM F-Scan lasers? They're really smooth and there are some good videos on youtube of them. I wouldn't go pointing them into the crowd though.

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=2976

You seen these in action ollie? Only this week our local kam rep kindly sent to my local disco store the t120. We had this on next to a laser uk model that was only 50mw green laser and it was much much brighter than the kam one. In fact as the kam one retailed at 500 and the laser uk one under 200 it didnt do the kam any favours at all. Im currently looking at lasers for use in outdoor events and bigger indoor rigs (properly to be used at alot of 18th/21st) but i very much doubt i will be getting a kam one.

A1DL
28-03-2009, 01:27 PM

That's a very nice position to be in Nathan :)

Have a look at the Martin 1.6 RGB laser, beautiful piece of kit and would be great for your larger events.

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=rgblaser16

And as a bonus it runs of a standard 13a outlet.

Jiggles
28-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Have a look at the Martin 1.6 RGB laser, beautiful piece of kit and would be great for your larger events.

:lol: Need a loan for that :D

Pe7e
28-03-2009, 01:42 PM
:lol: Need a loan for that :D

Need a loan? you would need a mortgage, they were around £30,000 the last time I enquired

BeerFunk
28-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Either way, make sure you have good PLI cover just in case...

OllieJames
28-03-2009, 01:48 PM
You seen these in action ollie? Only this week our local kam rep kindly sent to my local disco store the t120. We had this on next to a laser uk model that was only 50mw green laser and it was much much brighter than the kam one. In fact as the kam one retailed at 500 and the laser uk one under 200 it didnt do the kam any favours at all. Im currently looking at lasers for use in outdoor events and bigger indoor rigs (properly to be used at alot of 18th/21st) but i very much doubt i will be getting a kam one.

Not as yet.

I'm planning to go to my local store and have a look at some lasers soon!

Thanks for the feedback on it though, i'll make sure in compare it! :)

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2009, 02:08 PM
holy hell 30k!!!!!

in all fairness when he said money no object i'd have a guess your not really looking to spend THAT much.

Saying that it does look awesome!

DJWilson
28-03-2009, 02:24 PM

Lol. I love that laser but :eek: I could but how many 100 lasers for that? :)

Tom
28-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Lol. I love that laser but :eek: I could but how many 100 lasers for that? :)

Maby you should mention how much cash you got to play with. :)

Means that people can look about within your budget. :)

DJWilson
28-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Say £350???

A1DL
28-03-2009, 04:34 PM
umm, Nathan,

is very different to

Say £350???

which is fairly and squarely "budget level"

:bang:

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 04:58 PM
umm, Nathan,

is very different to

which is fairly and squarely "budget level"

:bang:

Hey...Cant you remember being that age. I can remember.......If i had £350 i was the richest bloke alive.

have a look at

https://www.thedjshop.co.uk/products.asp?id=3994&review=add

Ive got one and the pre-patterns are good, but it comes into its own with a controller. And its £150 left for one :)

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Hey...Cant you remember being that age. I can remember.......If i had £350 i was the richest bloke alive.

have a look at

https://www.thedjshop.co.uk/products.asp?id=3994&review=add

Ive got one and the pre-patterns are good, but it comes into its own with a controller. And its £150 left for one :)

only an 40mw green is that suitable for a "decent" laser?

sorry read now that the "money isnt a issue" to "£350".

Laser uk burst might be worth checking out?

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Yep, as its been in a club up against a laser twice its size and held its own. In fact, when the club got a refit, they replaced what they had with them Kool ones.

Im guessing that he aint gonna be planning to fill Wembley any time soon.

Also mW ratings with lasers are a bit like wattage ratings on speakers. The numbers on 2 different units can be the same, but the output totally different.

And....(Just to go on a bit), the goal posts have been changed a bit from the whole "i want a decent laser and mioney is no object" hasnt it!

OllieJames
29-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Not sure if this is of any help, but i'm liking the look of this laser at the minute.

http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=3514&cat=308

DJWilson
29-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Yep, as its been in a club up against a laser twice its size and held its own. In fact, when the club got a refit, they replaced what they had with them Kool ones.

Im guessing that he aint gonna be planning to fill Wembley any time soon.

Also mW ratings with lasers are a bit like wattage ratings on speakers. The numbers on 2 different units can be the same, but the output totally different.

And....(Just to go on a bit), the goal posts have been changed a bit from the whole "i want a decent laser and mioney is no object" hasnt it!

Money is no object but whats the point in me forking out silly amouts of money...

Dynamic Entertainment
29-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Money is no object but whats the point in me forking out silly amouts of money...

Because you get what you pay for. :bang:

If you want a good quality laser then (as has been said) £350 is not enough. If you want budget that will do the job then its fine.

Do you want just green? RGB? even Blue? A bit more than "i want a laser that scans the crowd and money is no object" and you may get a bit more useful advice....

DJWilson
29-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Green beamed laser will be fine

Dynamic Entertainment
29-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Green beamed laser will be fine

And what sort of venues will you be looking to use it in, size wise? Do you already have a DMX Controller, or will you need one...or will you look at a laser with its own dedicated controller?

DeckstarDeluxe
29-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi,

Ive started my own U18 events and want to look into buying a flat/crowd scan laser. A green one.

(instead of borrowing a image laser)

Thanks

Now it seems every time you post you keep changing what your losing for. This is your OP. When you say not bothered on cost if its worth every penny then you then say £350 is your budget how on earth can we give you any sort of suggestions or advice thats suitable?

DJWilson
29-03-2009, 01:50 PM
up to 200 people
I have me own DMX cont.

Dynamic Entertainment
29-03-2009, 05:37 PM
up to 200 people
I have me own DMX cont.

In that case i would stick with my previous recomendation. Easily manage a venue that holds 200 people.

djsteve10
29-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I know this is off topic but you haven't done your first under 18's night yet so if it's a flop and you can't get any more of them going you have a wasted purchase as to be honest you cannot use a laser at a wedding, Well I don't anyway unless the client requets it.

Just my opinion

DJWilson
29-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I know this is off topic but you haven't done your first under 18's night yet so if it's a flop and you can't get any more of them going you have a wasted purchase as to be honest you cannot use a laser at a wedding, Well I don't anyway unless the client requets it.

Just my opinion

Na havent done mine yet due to some issues with the venue. Ill use the laser for 18th and 21st and/if my events continue

DeckstarDeluxe
29-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Just my opinion

I use my kam cluster quite often at weddings and always gets alot of attention though mainly from the kids.

Vectis
29-03-2009, 09:01 PM
you cannot use a laser at a wedding

I use a variety of lasers at virtually all weddings. In fact, I have two weddings coming up soon that have specifically asked for me to bring as many lasers as I have available! So that'll be 6 purelights, my equinox 4-way, 2 equinox nebulae and good ol' laserball.

Lasers work very well used sporadically to suit the music at general parties - so a few 70s disco numbers, a few 80s electro tracks and of course any techno/rave that gets spun.