PDA

View Full Version : Laser positioning

wensleydale
28-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I know this was asked as part of my post about the Kam 3d cluster, but it was never actually answered.
Essentially what I'm getting at is how people position lasers- does everyone still avoid eye level and if so how do you do it?

The cluster lasers seem very difficult to avoid peoples eyes with given their wide "spread" unless you point them at the ceiling- whenever I've seen peoples rig shots they look to be pointing straight out at the crowd.

Am I missing something or is it an unwritten rule that its ok to do it?
If so, I envisage that no-one will want to write it which might be a problem.

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Just to repeat Richard..... :)

I was down at a dance event least weekend (atomik weekender) and the arenas were very very impressive. One of the arenas had two moving head lasers, which were scanning the crowd. I got chance to soeak to one of the lighting engineers at the end and had a good crack with him. Mentioned the laser hitting the crowd and got a nice big laugh....followed by words along the lines of "thats the typical knee jerk statement from people who dont uinderstand lasers and the H&S attached to them". Appanantly as the laser is never static and the "beam" focused on one place then there are no issues. The laser never scanned the crowd at a slow speed and was constantly moving.

To be honest, im slightly inclined to believe a multi-million pound company who supplies the systems for nearly all of the "super-clubs", tour systems for top djs and groups and are even providing the system for Tiestos upcoming London open-air event!

Im guessing that these guys actually know what they are talking about and are not stabbing in the dark with H&S so as the cluster is constantly moving.........

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-03-2009, 01:38 PM
To be honest, im slightly inclined to believe a multi-million pound company who supplies the systems for nearly all of the "super-clubs"

Yep, try telling that to the judge....;)

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2009, 02:00 PM
i know what you mean about the wide spread of the cluster but as long as its pointed upwards above peoples heads you "should" be ok. I dont see why people point them down because as soon as you get people on the floor you lose the effect!

spin mobile disco
28-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I point outwards for maximum spread for my cluster laser effect. I was told by several people that due to the refraction of the lasers they are much safer than equivelent single beam systems. i have never had a complaint from mine yet .( i hope)

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Yep, try telling that to the judge....;)

I know what you mean, but surely said company will be "in the know". Probably a hell of a lot more know than anyone on this (or other) forum :). They deal with these things on a daily basis with crowds of (for Tiestos upcoming gig atleast) 25,000 people, so i'd bet that they have risk assessments for doing risk assessments and know their onions.

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2009, 05:15 PM
and know their insurance policies like the back of their hand?

Dynamic Entertainment
28-03-2009, 05:33 PM
and know their insurance policies like the back of their hand?

Probably. Im guessing that they are confident on not paying out either. Also, i doubt anyone on here has the same power lasers as these guys....