PDA

View Full Version : Uplighting distance and angle

DJ INDIE
29-03-2009, 08:56 PM
This might sound a daft question, and maybe trial and error is best.... but;

what is the best distance and angle to set your uplighting at, to get the best out of it?

do you point your lights (im using LED Par 56s) straight up, or angle them into the wall? if so how far away from the wall do you position them?

im trying a few different things at the moment and just wondered if theres any uplighting rules?

any help greatly appreciated - would be interesting to see if people use different techniques etc..

Shakermaker Promotions
29-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I have mine about 10 inches away from the wall and angled slightly. Spacing is dependent on the size of the room obviously but I tend to put 4 down each side. If it's smaller than usual then I will do 3 each side and 2 either side of me behind the speakers.

Dynamic Entertainment
29-03-2009, 09:01 PM
This may sound daft, but i think it depends on how high the wall is whether you want to show light right up to the ceiling or just the wall.

Generally i have mine at a slight angle and a few inches out from the wall, but ive never had it exactly the same in 2 venues. - Clear as mud eh :)

Danno13
30-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Trial and error usually. Always straight up unless I'm uplighting something like a plant or some other feature of then room. Usually about 2-3 inches away from the wall at the most, sometimes you can't even do that due to tables/chairs being in the way.

JAMdisco
30-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Trial and error usually. Always straight up unless I'm uplighting something like a plant or some other feature of then room. Usually about 2-3 inches away from the wall at the most, sometimes you can't even do that due to tables/chairs being in the way.

You up-light plants lmao Sorry but I just find that amusing...

Like others have said, trial and error and room dependant to. You'll soon get to know what looks and works best for you. I would suggest a very slight angle and a few inches away from the wall. You can always play around with them till you get them to your liking.

And no, there are no hard-and-fast rules really, just personal preference (and H&S)

Danno13
30-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Yup, like this -

http://www.led-uplighting.co.uk/getpic/420/Venue%20Lighting%20in%20Bristol/plant_uplighting_pink_blue.jpg

DJ INDIE
30-03-2009, 07:28 PM
cheers,

all techniques seem to have their plus points - and like you say its probably venue dependant where you can position them (especially H & S wise.

just one other question;

do you link the lights together using connectors rather than each light having its own plug? if so, how do you do this and approx how much does it cost? Also can anyone explain in simple terms the limits of this? - ie can I run all lights off one plug and daisy chain, or if i needed just one light could i connect that directly via a cable into a plug socket? (ive never linked lights before).

I'm thinking this linking will be a lot tidier when I start to demo to venues, rather than running each light to an plug extension all round the room to the nearest socket etc etc

also my lights being American DJ have the adaptor plug (2 pin into traditional 3 pin UK plugs) fitted. will I be able to have uk connectors fitted or is there a voltage/current change?

ta

JAMdisco
31-03-2009, 10:49 AM
...just one other question;

do you link the lights together using connectors rather than each light having its own plug? if so, how do you do this and approx how much does it cost? Also can anyone explain in simple terms the limits of this? - ie can I run all lights off one plug and daisy chain, or if i needed just one light could i connect that directly via a cable into a plug socket? (ive never linked lights before).

also my lights being American DJ have the adaptor plug (2 pin into traditional 3 pin UK plugs) fitted. will I be able to have uk connectors fitted or is there a voltage/current change?

ta

Firstly, connecting the lamps by daisy chain is relatively straightforward with some of these (http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pe00080/splitter-iec-one-into-two/dp/PL10191). Obviously use the in/out for the dmx cables.

The 2 pin plugs are the same voltage as ours (240V) so all you need to do is cut the plug off and fit a male iec connector to use the adaptor I linked to above.

DJ INDIE
31-03-2009, 10:27 PM
thats brilliant.

thanks- sorted my problem, and saved me a good few quid sending it off to be done.

cheers :beer1:

JAMdisco
01-04-2009, 03:52 PM
thats brilliant.

thanks- sorted my problem, and saved me a good few quid sending it off to be done.

cheers :beer1:

No problemo, that's what the forum's for, glad to be of assistance and I'm all for saving a few quid too. As my mum used to say, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. :D :D