PDA

View Full Version : Alternative gay anthems

James
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I've got a civil ceremony coming up on Friday and have been going through my collection picking out some classic tracks but i was wondering if i could pick some of your brains for any tracks that you think would go down well at a civil ceremony

I'm trying to avoid all the obvious ones (Dead or Alive, Erasure FGTH) and root out some classics like the patrick cowley megamix of i feel love for example, so if anyone can think of any tracks of a similar vein they think would work i'd be eternally grateful, well, not eternally, but extremely grateful '0)

Cheers folks

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I've got a civil ceremony coming up on Friday and have been going through my collection picking out some classic tracks but i was wondering if i could pick some of your brains for any tracks that you think would go down well at a civil ceremony

Just because it's a civil ceremony doesn't mean it will be all gay anthems. There is a distinct possibility that there will be more heterosexual people there - have you asked about that? Have you asked the client what they want?

It's a bit like asking for songs that would go down well as a wedding. It depends on people's tastes.

Ryu
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree with Solitaire. And as for alternative Gay anthems, in my limited experience, standard wedding party classics seem to go down just as well with both Homo and Heterosexuals.

Sapphire Disco
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
This any help ?

http://www.almightyrecords.com/

djsteve10
01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Sorry but "Gay Anthems"..... It's just another fucntion, Find out what the client wants and give them what they want.

A1DL
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
This any help ?

http://www.almightyrecords.com/

Probably not...

Unless the client has specifically requested the music to be on a "high camp" vibe - which in my experience is only the case with about 2 out of 10 civil partnerships - then as has already pointed out, the event will, musically, most likely be no different to a hetrosexual wedding.

Whilst the tracks that Andy & Martyn (Almighty) produce are good for some club & bar sets and some of them are also useable in cheesey party sets, stay mindful it's a family party mobile disco, not a night at the RVT.

Hope this helps.

JTRS
01-04-2009, 06:20 PM
OK I could be way off mark here because I'm not an experienced DJ (yet), but I do have years of experience as a stand up comic and in my experience of doing various functions I would always find out if jokes that were centered around the theme would be acceptable or not beforehand, and I think to some extent this translates to the music side as well.

Just because it is a civil partnership I really wouldn't assume that they want gay anthems or camp tunes, it might be that they do and would welcome them, but then again they might not.

I'd be tempted to ask the couple and see what their thoughts are.

Glad I'm not doing it because after Village People and Gay Bar I'd be a bit stuck!!!!

Good luck with it anyway

JTRS

Dynamic Entertainment
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Glad I'm not doing it because after Village People and Gay Bar I'd be a bit stuck!!!!

Any you may be short a few teeth :D. I dont know any gay people who appreciate YMCA and Gay Bar....far too stereotypical IMO.

JTRS
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Any you may be short a few teeth :D. I dont know any gay people who appreciate YMCA and Gay Bar....far too stereotypical IMO.

Which was why I started my post by saying

"OK I could be way off mark here because I'm not an experienced DJ (yet)"

And I think you are right, gay people probably wouldn't appreciate them been played, and would IMO think the DJ was taking the mick.

I'll say it again, Glad I am not doing it !!!!

JTRS

djsteve10
01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Which was why I started my post by saying

"OK I could be way off mark here because I'm not an experienced DJ (yet)"

And I think you are right, gay people probably wouldn't appreciate them been played, and would IMO think the DJ was taking the mick.

I'll say it again, Glad I am not doing it !!!!

JTRS

Experienced or not you should really know that Gay people are no differnet to others.

So why are you glad you aren't doing it, It's a function at the end of the day no different to any of the others.

Dynamic Entertainment
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Experienced or not you should really know that Gay people are no differnet to others.

So why are you glad you aren't doing it, It's a function at the end of the day no different to any of the others.

It gets back to the thread "Would you take the job". Some people cant manage different styles of music, some cant manage different styles/types of client (post not aimed at anyone BTW) :)

gazzak
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

I would say Jointoreadsucks is just as entitled to his personal opinions as anybody else on this Forum. After all we are all allowed personal opinions. Aren't we?

James
01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Yup, i've spoken to the girl on numerous occasions, she's even been to my house with a detailed set list, so i know what style of music she likes, i'm just looking for ideas for songs that i might not have thought of, thats all

The example i gave was the patrick cowley mix of i feel love, so if you can think along those lines, 'discoesque' but not the mainstream stuff, i've got that base well covered

Thanks folks

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM

In your opinion? :confused:

How many gay people do you know and how can you base your opinion on that?

It's like saying "I don't know any straight people who appreciate xxxxx"

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Yup, i've spoken to the girl on numerous occasions, she's even been to my house with a detailed set list, so i know what style of music she likes, i'm just looking for ideas for songs that i might not have thought of, thats all

Perhaps it would have been easier to give a few more examples then?

gazzak
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM

Totally agree.

DeckstarDeluxe
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
nothing wrong with the poor guy reseaching possible tracks. Like they said in boy scouts "Be prepared". I would see what the crowd is like before deciding what to play rather than going in with the pre notion that you are gonna bang out the abba's etc....

CRAZY K
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Just because it's a civil ceremony doesn't mean it will be all gay anthems. There is a distinct possibility that there will be more heterosexual people there -

Thats spot on--in my experience.

CRAZY K

JTRS
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM

When I said I wasn't experienced I meant as a DJ, which is why I am glad I am not doing this job, a wedding, either civil partnership or a straight wedding is an important day and I would rather start off doing a few simpler functions until I know what to do and what to expect at a wedding.

I certainly accept that gay people are no different to others which I tried to convey by suggesting that the DJ treat this as any othert booking and ask the client what they want as opposed to assuming.

JTRS

CRAZY K
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
nothing wrong with the poor guy reseaching possible tracks. Like they said in boy scouts "Be prepared". I would see what the crowd is like before deciding what to play rather than going in with the pre notion that you are gonna bang out the abba's etc....

I think a play list would soon clear up any misunderstandings by anyone.

Works for me--Whether its standard wedding or a civil ceremony.

CRAZY K

flatliners
01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
How many times must we tell you.

No text talk.

It is getting seriously boring now.

Admin

Dynamic Entertainment
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Quite a few. Ive DJ'd the local gay pub/club for a good few years so a lot, male and female, are very good friends. So i get a fair idea of what works and what doesnt. Plus theres lots of tidy girlies who go there as they know the guys aint gonna hit on then :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Quite a few. Ive DJ'd the local gay pub/club for a good few years so a lot, male and female, are very good friends.

That still doesn't make it a valid point. You are still generalising, whichever way you look at it.

And you are telling me that you know all the gay people's opinions on music that go in a pub you DJ at? Come on....

Dynamic Entertainment
01-04-2009, 10:58 PM
That still doesn't make it a valid point. You are still generalising, whichever way you look at it.

And you are telling me that you know all the gay people's opinions on music that go in a pub you DJ at? Come on....

I know that if i played YMCA the majority of them would be insulted. I know this because they got an agency dj in to cover last year when i went for my holidays, who played said track and the management got plenty of complaints about it/him.

As with any crowd, you get to know what works and what doesnt. In the only gay club round here, that doesnt. It may well be different in the big city....

Danno13
02-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Just because it's a civil ceremony doesn't mean it will be all gay anthems..

Especially since a civil ceremony is actually a hetrosexual marraige that just doesn't take place in a church... I'm guessing James meant "civil partnership"!!

Shaun
02-04-2009, 08:05 AM
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7411

[ moving to music forum ]

Corabar Steve
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Apart from the fact that Gay bar isn't actually a "gay" song, it's about as far from the stereotypical gay music as you can get without venturing into Gangsta Rap or Napalm Death teritory (I've known gays that have been into both of those examples BTW. Not the same person)

Silver
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM

I'm trying to avoid all the obvious ones (Dead or Alive, Erasure FGTH) and root out some classics like the patrick cowley megamix of i feel love for example, so if anyone can think of any tracks of a similar vein they think would work i'd be eternally grateful, well, not eternally, but extremely grateful '0)

Cheers folks

To answer your post directly, for a really good idea of current gay anthems listen to this .... http://gaydarradio.com/UserPortal/Homepage/Default.aspx

I have it on all the time at home, it's a great station, enjoy :)

CRAZY K
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
To answer your post directly, for a really good idea of current gay anthems listen to this .... http://gaydarradio.com/UserPortal/Homepage/Default.aspx

I have it on all the time at home, it's a great station, enjoy :)

Surely the point which a lot of us are making is--

You dont know if they really want that.:confused:

There should be no reason why you dont ASK people what they want.

Its a basic of consumer service--you ask what the customer wants---
you give them what they want.

If they say standard gay anthems even that might be open to interpretation--
a bit embarrassing if your ideas dont match with theirs.

Im not a regular DJ on the circuit but I wouldnt think YMCA was something to
automatically play as seems to be happening --:eek:

CRAZY K

Silver
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Surely the point which a lot of us are making is--

You dont know if they really want that.:confused:

There should be no reason why you dont ASK people what they want.

Its a basic of consumer service--you ask what the customer wants---
you give them what they want.

If they say standard gay anthems even that might be open to interpretation--
a bit embarrassing if your ideas dont match with theirs.

Im not a regular DJ on the circuit but I wouldnt think YMCA was something to
automatically play as seems to be happening --:eek:

CRAZY K

Did you read the first FIVE words of my post? He asked ... I answered! I'm not getting involved with any other discussions about this topic, I simply answered his question, end of.

Digital Jack
16-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Good thread .