PDA

View Full Version : What's a Dimmer Pack ???

plainman007
04-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi guys,

Im relatively new to dmx lighting and am trying to grasp the basics.

A dimmer pack is a device we use to control conventional lighting such as pars etc ? SInce they are generic lights the dimmer pack basically adds outboard dmx control am i right ? Or wrong ?

Thanks...

OllieJames
04-04-2009, 08:20 AM
A dimmer pack gives you the ability to dim lighting (normal pars). However, with DMX, a DMX controller is what you are after. This then gives you the ability to control every parameter of a DMX compatible unit.

Bear in mind that if the DMX light has a channel for dimming, this is achievable with a DMX controller too.

Hope this helps :)

Vectis
04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the OP's interpretation is correct.

A DMX dimmer pack allows the dimming/switching of "conventional" lighting, eg. PARs, under DMX control. But that's all. No colour changing, positioning, any of those good things.

Grahame Case
04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
can i also mention that you should NEVER EVER put intelligent light fixtures on Dimmer power, they should always be on Switched sockets, not Dimmer.

plainman007
04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes As Vectisvibe says. I undertsood that generic fixtures (with no channel features etc , things that work like normal house bulbs) could be controlled by using a dmx dimmer pack. Now if i was to use a total of 12 pars. 6 on each side of the stage for a live show. If each par was 1200 watts then what sort of dmx pack should i look for and how much. How do i pick power ratings of the pack ?

Thanks..

Chris1984
05-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Do you mean 1000w lamps?
Then you will need 6000w of power a side which means you will need a 32a per side, or if running a dimmer centrally you will need a 63a connection and the relevant cabling (ideally soca) to each bank of 6.
So for a disco it is less than practical.
But in answer to your original question the 'dimmer' controls the voltage out put to each of its channels and are rated according to the amount of current you can 'pull' through each channel.
All new dimmers will run DMX using simple single channel for channel operation between 0 and 255.

A1DL
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Do you mean 1000w lamps?
Then you will need 6000w of power a side which means you will need a 32a per side,

A bar of 6 @ 240v needs 25a, not 32a. Although I accept it is standard practice to connect a 6x5a pack to a 32a breaker on the distro.

or if running a dimmer centrally you will need a 63a connection

or a 32/3 supply - which can be easier to come by - if;
(a) you are running a 1-3 phase 6x10a pack (e.g. Pulsar Rackpack) which splits two channels across each leg
or
(b) if you are running a separate 6x5a pack per bar of 6 (obviously staying mindful of the 415v between phases)

Tony

Chris1984
06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
A bar of 6 @ 240v needs 25a, not 32a. Although I accept it is standard practice to connect a 6x5a pack to a 32a breaker on the distro.

or a 32/3 supply - which can be easier to come by - if;
(a) you are running a 1-3 phase 6x10a pack (e.g. Pulsar Rackpack) which splits two channels across each leg
or
(b) if you are running a separate 6x5a pack per bar of 6 (obviously staying mindful of the 415v between phases)

Tony

correct - didn't want to complicate things! I dont know what his insurabce is and where or not it covers him for plying with the 3phase!

Its also good practice to use 230v for calculating amps not 240.

jamesh
06-04-2009, 12:21 PM
also just as an idiot proof guide... You can get 2 types of Dimmer Pack Analogue and DMX... Be careful as the Analogue will only work with a manual desk and not DMX... Some have both but the older ones are more than likely only going to have analogue connection...

So if you're buying to give Pars and none DMX lighting DMX control make sure it says it's DMX compatible...

Chris1984
06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Great point James forgot to mention the analogue side of things!!

plainman007
06-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh gosh this is complicated. If i hire an electrician will he be able to choose the right type of wires etc that can take the load for these lights etc , Would that be the right way to go about this ?

Chris1984
09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
What is it you are trying to do?

Is it a permanent/temp installation?
Is it a disco or a stage lighting system you want to achieve?
What will be controlling it and who will be operating it?
are you buying all the kit or do you have some?
How will it be rigged?

Maybe we can get you the answer you need!

plainman007
11-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Its a temp installation. I mean its a travelling installation for a touring show. Its not a disco. Its a theaterical show. Sorta like a broadway musical but not that grand in comparision. It will be controlled by a computer running Sunlite Software. Though its an awful software to work with and their customer support is far from appreciable. Im stuck with it as ive bought it. This is a show that will play at auditoriums once in a while. The rest of the time the entire rig will be stowed away at my warehouse. Ive bought a powerful computer and the sunlite package and 10 dmx colorwash lights that will substitute pars. In the future i intend to buy 4 moving heads and maybe another 6 scanners or so with a smoke machine and thats it.

Now what i dont have for the current rig is power cables. Distros and such other things are rarely available in my country and importing them from the USA or UK is highly expensive and very complicated when it comes to customs procedures. So the only way to do things is as people in my area do. They use heavy duty wiring and those blue egg cup looking plugs to run their power to the lights. I know nothing of what rating of wire and the wattage etc. So now im stuck with how to supply power to my entire lighting rig and ofcourse i wanted to know how i could add a few pars using a dimmer pack which another member here has answered earlier.

Thanks

Chris1984
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Plainman007 - where abouts are you?
I assume you are talking about Ceeform sockets which when blue in could indicate 230/240v use in either 16a, 32a, 63a, 125a single phase.
if that is any use to you

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I assume you are talking about Ceeform sockets which when blue in could indicate 230/240v use in either 16a, 32a, 63a, 125a single phase.

My reading of the situation also. ;) Location might help.

A1DL
11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Location might help.

Location is of critical importance as...

The colour coding of Ceeforms denotes the voltage, not whether they are single or three phase.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/wiki/Ceeform

This may be useful too:

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Ouch! :o :o :o Teach me to read more carefully before agreeing. I must admit I've learnt something from the first link Tony.

Jiggles
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
What on earth would you use 50 - 500V 500Hz supply on!

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
What on earth would you use 50 - 500V 500Hz supply on!

It's probably quite good for starting fires. ;)

Jiggles
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
ahh :D :p

Chris1984
13-04-2009, 12:39 AM
correct but in the current topic we are discussing dimmer to use for show lighting.
thus the only c forms we would need to discuss are either 240v single phase BLUE ore 415V 3phase RED connectors of if you feel the need to be padantic we may need powerlock to power said dimmers.
The only reason we would need yellow ceeforms is if we are using 10v on a building site and that hasn't been mentioned. and if you can show me a piece of kit that runs on some other ceeform for use in entertainment situations i would be very intrested indeed!

A1DL
13-04-2009, 01:07 AM
correct but in the current topic we are discussing dimmer to use for show lighting.
thus the only c forms we would need to discuss are either 240v single phase BLUE ore 415V 3phase RED connectors of if you feel the need to be padantic we may need powerlock to power said dimmers.
The only reason we would need yellow ceeforms is if we are using 10v on a building site and that hasn't been mentioned. and if you can show me a piece of kit that runs on some other ceeform for use in entertainment situations i would be very intrested indeed!

Chris - the OP is not in this country and hasn't stated where he/she is located therefore don't automatically assume a blue ceeform to be single phase, as it is in the UK. That's why I stressed that the colour of the ceeform denotes the voltage, not the type of supply.

Also, (I assume it's a typo) yellow cees are rated 110v not 10v.

Chris1984
13-04-2009, 09:08 AM
fair point my apologies.
but i would like to also stress that the colour of a ceeform dosn't always comply with the code you have show.
I have done several large shows in the USA and they use blue ceeforms and they run on 120v there.
I have also done many shows accross europe and the middle east and am yet to find a piece of entertainment lighting equipment that runs in another way.
Almost every country around the world runs a voltage between 110v and 240v so using a blue 24ov volt ceeform would indicate a single phase supply and a red would then indicate a 3phase supply in entertainment lighting situations. unless you are rigging chain motors which i doubt you have on you disco and we do not need to go into.
As we are discussing entertainment lighting equipment and not industrial equipment here.

At the end of the day, no matter where you do a gig in the world as part of you tool kit you have a meter and check evry feed tail and generater then double check before you start plugging up anyway. which will nip any electrical concerns in the bud at the start.

plainman007
13-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Everyone, I work at srilanka. And do shows in India and Srilanka Primarily. The voltage i get at home is 240v in my home that is. But i dont know if thats uniform or they have a different voltage in auditoriums etc. Please keep in mind that mine is not a disco. Its en entertainment event allright. But more like a theatrical play / slash musical production. The audience is an opera style seated audience and we are working only theatrical stages.

Thanks