Solitaire Events Ltd
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I just has this conversation.

Woman: "Hello, can you telll me how much you charge for a wedding/"
Me: When is it for, so I can check the date
Woman: This Saturday
Me: Oh, right, have you been let down?
Woman: Erm....no, I work in a Hotel and we haven't booked the DJ yet
Me: Right....what kind of DJ and music were you looking for?
Woman: Just a normal wedding DJ with wedding music
Me: OK, but we provide a bespoke service with tailored music and DJ
Woman: How much do you charge?
Me: Well we charge £xxx for 5 hours
Woman: Oh, well I can get someone for £250.
Me: You do seem to be taking a chance for someone's wedding by booking the cheapest DJ you can?
Woman: Well we have used the £250 DJ before
Me: So why haven't you booked him?
Woman: We are looking to do this as cheaply as possible.

At this point I am beginning to seethe a little.

Not only have they forgotten to book the DJ until the week before, they are now trying to get the cheapest guy they can, even though they have used the £250 DJ before.

Me: Well I hope you have really looked into wedding costings and understand how important the entertainment is, and that you don't mess someone's special day up by booking the absolute cheapest DJ you can?
Woman: OK, thank you (sounds of nervous laughter)

Not only that, the Hotel is in Bookham in Surrey, which is not a cheap part of the country.
:Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored:

Corabar Steve
06-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Starlight
06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Mmmm, something springs to mind - people want something for nothing :wub:

Folks need to understand you have to spend x amount of pounds to get decent quality.

Best wishes,

Neil.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
It's not so much that. It's the fact they left it to 5 days before someone's wedding and they are still looking for the cheapest. How much more of a "We don't give a toss about this wedding" message can you get?

rob1963
06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I wonder if it's the same hotel in Bookham where I do a few gigs each year.

Darren...no names mentioned, but out of interest, does the hotel's name begin with p?

Corabar Steve
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
My point being that hotel staff aren't exactly the best paid in the world & probably have the attitude that it isn't their function that may be spoiled, so why should they worry.

CRAZY K
06-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I just has this conversation.

Woman: "Hello, can you telll me how much you charge for a wedding/"
Me: When is it for, so I can check the date
Woman: This Saturday
Me: Oh, right, have you been let down?
Woman: Erm....no, I work in a Hotel and we haven't booked the DJ yet
Me: Right....what kind of DJ and music were you looking for?
Woman: Just a normal wedding DJ with wedding music
Me: OK, but we provide a bespoke service with tailored music and DJ
Woman: How much do you charge?
Me: Well we charge £xxx for 5 hours
Woman: Oh, well I can get someone for £250.
Me: You do seem to be taking a chance for someone's wedding by booking the cheapest DJ you can?
Woman: Well we have used the £250 DJ before
Me: So why haven't you booked him?
Woman: We are looking to do this as cheaply as possible.

Not only have they forgotten to book the DJ until the week before, they are now trying to get the cheapest guy they can, even though they have used the £250 DJ before.

Me: Well I hope you have really looked into wedding costings and understand how important the entertainment is, and that you don't mess someone's special day up by booking the absolute cheapest DJ you can?
Woman: OK, thank you (sounds of nervous laughter)

Not only that, the Hotel is in Bookham in Surrey, which is not a cheap part of the country.
:Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored: :Censored:

Sadly I sometimes come across these kind of people who work in Hotels and are often totally cost conscious--ordering some wine, food, tablecloths, Discos ---its all a commodity.

They probably ( as you know better than me ) have offered a package deal of xxxxx pounds so the cheaper they get the DJ the more they make.

I dont know if this gets deleted but this STINKS.

The poor old customer is either getting ripped off or has been let down or BOTH.

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
I wonder if it's the same hotel in Bookham where I do a few gigs each year.

Darren...no names mentioned, but out of interest, does the hotel's name begin with p?

No, it's the Bookham Grange.

My point being that hotel staff aren't exactly the best paid in the world & probably have the attitude that it isn't their function that may be spoiled, so why should they worry.

You could say that about a lot of lower paid jobs.

Mark Wild
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM

:lol: In with love, out with anger.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
:lol: In with love, out with anger.

*Makes note to use the word 'seethe' more often* :D

Steve the DJ
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
The Bookham Grange eh? Toilet.

And why do they want you cheap? From their website:

The disco for the evening is £350.00.
There will be a cover charge of £100.00 to bring in your own band or D.J.

Sharks. :eek:

Dynamic Entertainment
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Beat me to it Steve, was just bout to say, I bet the're charging the B&G a hell of a lot more.

Corabar Steve
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
You could say that about a lot of lower paid jobs.
True, but they aren't responsible for booking entertainment for wedding receptions etc.

Shakermaker Promotions
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Not impressed with people like that. They want the cheapest deal possible, don't give a stuff about the customer in reality and then want to charge on top so that they can take their cut.

The worst thing is that the poor customer is oblivious to it all and doesn't know what is going on.

Corabar Steve
06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
The disco for the evening is £350.00.
There will be a cover charge of £100.00 to bring in your own band or D.J.
Either way, they are looking to make £100 on the deal.

Unbelievable indeed. It's not as if they don't make any money out of the room hire, catering, bar etc without ripping off the client to such a degree on the disco.

The worst thing is that the poor customer is oblivious to it all and doesn't know what is going on.
I have to say, if I was in the area & not working on Saturday, I'd be tempted to pop down & put the B&G straight on the matter.

Excalibur
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I have to say, if I was in the area & not working on Saturday, I'd be tempted to pop down & put the B&G straight on the matter.

Are you offering to do the gig for less than £250? :confused: :D :D

kjdiscos
06-04-2009, 04:16 PM
maybe get a 60 quid billy to let them down, Then see how the hotel get out that one

rob1963
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
No, it's the Bookham Grange.

If it wasn't the Preston Cross, I knew it would be the Bookham Grange.

Shame really, because it's a nice hotel.

I did a wedding reception there a few years back, but the clients said nothing about having to pay £100 more for using ME...so I'm guessing that's a recently introduced policy.

:shrug:

daz226
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
its the same with my sisters wedding the hotel wanted 400 for the disco and more if you provided your own. i dont get it when you can provide pat testing PLI so you are fully covered why they try to charge you more

rob1963
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
its the same with my sisters wedding the hotel wanted 400 for the disco and more if you provided your own. i dont get it when you can provide pat testing PLI so you are fully covered why they try to charge you more

To make more money, maybe?

DJ INDIE
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
seems daft to charge you £350 for the DJ or an extra £100 to bring your own ............. when the obviously dont even have their own DJ ! ......... or instructed the couple to sort their own!

pretty disgraceful really.

Mark Wild
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
60 quid billy

Who? Never heard of him, that Sids brother? :p

kjdiscos
06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Who? Never heard of him, that Sids brother? :p

Yeah indeed :D:D

DJMaxG
06-04-2009, 05:38 PM
The General public may often believe that 'A DJ is a DJ', much of a muchness. But may not always be the case, there are beginners, experienced ones, club DJs etc.

It sounded like the person inchage of booking the function was trying to get a cheaper price out of you, it is a common tactic.

I could call up Homebase for a Black and Decker, and tell them that B&Q are doing it for half the price, in hope that they would narrow it down.

BeerFunk
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Crazy. I wonder what the bride and groom would think about it, what their expectations are, and what they've been promised.

Steve the DJ
06-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Shame really, because it's a nice hotel.

You really need to get out more Rob, Bookham Grange is only considered solubrius when being compared to Strangeways... :D

I did a wedding reception there a few years back, but the clients said nothing about having to pay £100 more for using ME...so I'm guessing that's a recently introduced policy.

I was there for my one and only visit about two years ago and it was being run by an Eastern European couple.

The Wedding was a favour for a friend who couldn't do the booking for some reason or other and I remember it vividly because the Groom was out of his face on coke. :(

A booking from hell in more ways than one. I shall ensure the venue remains on my black list.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
In all fairness £250 isnt that cheap. I know a few wedding services providers who offer a very good service for that.

I cant defend the hotel for not having a dj booked yet. As darren mentioned the girl had a "nervous laughter" at the end of the call showing properly her lack of experience.

Steve the DJ
06-04-2009, 07:17 PM
In all fairness £250 isnt that cheap.

In Surrey I would estimate that an "average" fee for a Wedding from a reputable company would be between £350 and £450, so as far as our patch goes it is cheap by comparison, although there are still plenty of people that would do the job for the money no doubt.

If you want cheap then go and see the legendary Bob Potter at Lakeside (where they have the darts). He has 4 or 5 hotels locally and he pays £150 max for a Wedding... :eek:

CRAZY K
06-04-2009, 07:56 PM
The Bookham Grange eh? Toilet.

And why do they want you cheap? From their website:

Sharks. :eek:

As I said earlier

They probably ( as you know better than me ) have offered a package deal of xxxxx pounds so the cheaper they get the DJ the more they make.

I dont know if this gets deleted but this STINKS.

Has to be the management giving these instructions.:(

CRAZY K

PropellerHeadCase
06-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Unless of course they're also the floor manager on the nmight and said cheaper DJ doesn't turn up, then their little gamble will not seem so worth it ;) Any chance we can find out who the £250 DJ is and nobble him? :D

I worked for a venue in Auckland that charged a booking fee *ahem* for my services, they also got a very bad run of publicity for being found out when they charged a punter $75 to move a wedding cake...

...10 metres from the car, up three stairs, to the table!

Digitalsounds
06-04-2009, 08:43 PM
in honesty this get my goat....

Hotels - want you to pay up front for all services

They then employ dj's via 30-90 day invoices then don't pay up on time

on this occasion i hope the cheap dj they employ doesn't turn up but i feel sorry for the wedding couple but it will show the hotel up completely.

They shouldn't be allowed to get away with such rubbish.

rob1963
06-04-2009, 08:47 PM
You really need to get out more Rob, Bookham Grange is only considered solubrius when being compared to Strangeways... :D

I was there for my one and only visit about two years ago and it was being run by an Eastern European couple.

The Wedding was a favour for a friend who couldn't do the booking for some reason or other and I remember it vividly because the Groom was out of his face on coke. :(

A booking from hell in more ways than one. I shall ensure the venue remains on my black list.

The wedding I did there went very well indeed, and I found the staff helpful.

It's certainly not on MY black list...so you know where to pass any enquiries to!

:D

CRAZY K
06-04-2009, 09:10 PM
The wedding I did there went very well indeed, and I found the staff helpful.

It's certainly not on MY black list...so you know where to pass any enquiries to!

:D

You will be too expensive with your new increased rates Rob

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

CRAZY K

rob1963
06-04-2009, 09:23 PM
You will be too expensive with your new increased rates Rob

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

CRAZY K

Good point Crazy...I'd forgotton about that!

ultrasound disco
07-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I had a phone call last night looking for a DJ for a Birthday party.
The guy asked me "how much" and I did the usual by asking what date to see if it was free, he was insistent on getting the price so I quoted him XXX for up-to 4hrs of music.
He said "ok, how much for just 1 hr then" :Censored:
"Click" went the phone..:D

Excalibur
07-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Come on folks, it's not rocket science is it? Hotel's dedicated Weddding Co-ordinator says to B&G " Don't bother booking a Disco, they're all overpaid prima donnas, who will turn up with loads of kit and refuse to work with the hotel. Since we book so many we can ensure that we get a reliable one who won't cost the earth, and will put on a splendid show, in perfect harmony with the venue staff". Sound familiar? ;) ;)

Translation: " If we can be arsed, we'll ring round a few numbers, and see how much we can cream off the inflated fee we've charged for the service. After all, it's only a disco isn't it. Jukebox with flashing lights. " :( :( :(

JAMdisco
07-04-2009, 07:07 AM
After all, it's only a disco isn't it. Jukebox with flashing lights. " :( :( :(

Unfortunately Peter, that's EXACTLY what some disco's are :bang: :bang:

Corabar Steve
07-04-2009, 08:12 AM
The General public may often believe that 'A DJ is a DJ', much of a muchness. But may not always be the case, there are beginners, experienced ones, club DJs etc.

It sounded like the person inchage of booking the function was trying to get a cheaper price out of you, it is a common tactic.

I could call up Homebase for a Black and Decker, and tell them that B&Q are doing it for half the price, in hope that they would narrow it down.
Was this uncanny knack for stating the obvious something you were born with, or did it come with practice?http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-16028.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-16026.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

ppentertainments
07-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Come on folks, it's not rocket science is it? Hotel's dedicated Weddding Co-ordinator says to B&G " Don't bother booking a Disco, they're all overpaid prima donnas, who will turn up with loads of kit and refuse to work with the hotel. Since we book so many we can ensure that we get a reliable one who won't cost the earth, and will put on a splendid show, in perfect harmony with the venue staff". Sound familiar? ;) ;)

Translation: " If we can be arsed, we'll ring round a few numbers, and see how much we can cream off the inflated fee we've charged for the service. After all, it's only a disco isn't it. Jukebox with flashing lights. " :( :( :(

Or alternatively 'we have some equipment here and a waiter is not needed at night. We'll cobble together some cd's and he will do a disco'

Believe me it happens, and has happened at one of my regular venues. :( :(

Excalibur
07-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Or alternatively 'we have some equipment here and a waiter is not needed at night. We'll cobble together some cd's and he will do a disco'

Believe me it happens, and has happened at one of my regular venues. :( :(

I Believe! Hallelujah Brethren, I Believe! ;) ;) :( :(

Vectis
07-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately Peter, that's EXACTLY what some disco's are :bang: :bang:

Nah - jukeboxes play requests :)

JAMdisco
07-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Nah - jukeboxes play requests :)

:Laugh: