PDA

View Full Version : My first light display

FerndownJason
14-04-2009, 06:23 PM
As I have stated in my newbie address, I am just coming back into mobile DJ'ing after many many years.
This has been brought about by wanting to organise some community events.
I have bought the sound kit (please do not ask - big n loud - sounds ok to me, but probably not up to all of your standards, and will probably end up as backup kit in long run), and it was only then I looked into licenses & insurance :eek: , and now realise the true cost to use my digital based music, and so have decided that I should also try and do some fee paying discos events to pay for all of this expense. (and I use to enjoy it, and with the way work is going could do with a new income stream)

I believe in quality rather than quantity, and want to create a light display that is worthy of a decent disco - for under £300 to £500.

I am amazed how mainstream LCD light are, and that they have all but replaced traditional lights.

My question is, what starter lighting setup would you recommend? LCD? Laser? etc etc controler? smoke/mist machine?

Your help/advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, I have to go to a carnival meeting at 19:30 but will respond to any points on my return. Thank You!

:beer1: :beer1: :D :beer1: :beer1:

Daryll
14-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi there.
You will get a load of different ideas on this , but I`ll start the ball rolling.

For movement , 4 x Acme dynamo`s http://www.jbsmusic.co.uk/view/811/

And an Impossibled as a centre piece http://www.jbsmusic.co.uk/view/2600/.

Daryll

JDB Entertainment
14-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, and nice to see a new forum member asking a decent valid question, with a bit of background.

A nice room filling light which I am sure most forum members would agree on would be the Acme Impossibled which you can pick up for just over the £100 mark.

A set of Dynamo Scanners to give you a different kind of light can be picked up for over £200 these can be run by a DMX - which is a piece of kit designed to get the best out of your lights if you want to programme them rather than using sound to light.

The impossibled can also be DMX'd.

The other lights I would suggest looking into are Gobo's these are a nice dancefloor filler and can be fitted onto your budget.

I hope this gives you a starting point and also a good start to the thread.

James

womble
Sounds like a similar situation to me, starting out from scratch with a set up that will probably become a back up/2nd rig in the future. For lighting I managed to get 4 scanners (acme dynamos) off ebay for £200 and I'm thinking up complimenting them with a miracled/impossibled (decisions decisions) and maybe a few par cans or something for colour... I keep waiting for some lighting bargains to come up on here.

Spooky - those replies above were typed while I was typing my response so I didn't see them until afterwards.

JDB Entertainment
Lol Daryll as I was writing you was also writing lol! And we came up with the same idea's.! :D

FerndownJason
14-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, that setup must be the correct direction if three of you suggest it hot off the press. Many thanks I will look further into your suggestions.

Are lasers no good at adding motion/colour/light to a room, or did you not suggest one here because of cost for a suitable one?

Also, in my old setup we use to have colour boxes in front of deck, it seems this is out of date. Is it worth doing anything? or perhaps a starcloth?

Cheers

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, that setup must be the correct direction if three of you suggest it hot off the press. Many thanks I will look further into your suggestions.

Are lasers no good at adding motion/colour/light to a room, or did you not suggest one here because of cost for a suitable one?

Also, in my old setup we use to have colour boxes in front of deck, it seems this is out of date. Is it worth doing anything? or perhaps a starcloth?

Cheers

Even I've stopped using lightboxes, so they must be out of date! ;) :D I'm even about to open negotiations for a starcloth! :eek:
Lasers can be excellent, but low cost and desired effect appear to be at opposite ends of the scale. ;)

Candybeatdiscos
14-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Nowt wrong with a couple of lightboxes, i just bought another 2 from Graeme and they looked very good out on Friday, i was well complimented lol

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Nowt wrong with a couple of lightboxes, i just bought another 2 from Graeme and they looked very good out on Friday, i was well complimented lol

What about? :sj:

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 10:43 PM
What about? :sj:

Not being a sheep and having a Starcloth, since you ask. ;) :p :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Not being a sheep and having a Starcloth, since you ask. ;) :p :D

Not being a sheep? How long have you DJ'd for? Do you remember the 70s and 80s when virtually everyone had screens?

visualdjmax
14-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Not being a sheep? How long have you DJ'd for? Do you remember the 70s and 80s when virtually everyone had screens?

Chuckle, Chuckle!

DJ INDIE
14-04-2009, 11:06 PM
to get the laser 'beams' as it were, you need to use a smoke or haze machine - which a lot of venues dont allow, so you may end up with just a squiggle on the wall. thats why a lot dont recommend them as a good starter buy. I sold mine for the same reason.

there are some that work without smoke, but they get expensive.

womble
14-04-2009, 11:09 PM
What would people recommend to go with a set of dynamo scanners then, a miracled or an impossibled?

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 11:23 PM

If we're going to have a "Mine's longer than yours" competition*, I win. :p

* Length of time doing Disco's, you Finnbar Saunders. :p :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-04-2009, 11:24 PM
If we're going to have a "Mine's longer than yours" competition*, I win. :p

* Length of time doing Disco's, you Finnbar Saunders. :p :D

I rest my case then and my point stands.

A lot more DJs have had light screens than use starcloths, so why are starcloth users sheep and screen users, not?

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I rest my case then and my point stands.

A lot more DJs have had light screens than use starcloths, so why are starcloth users sheep and screen users, not?

One of us is missing something here. The world and his wife have a starcloth nowadays.

That was then, this is now. ;)

FerndownJason
15-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Many thanks for all of the replies, and good to see the excitement over light boxes vs star cloths.

I understand now about lasers, especially when not using smoke due to venue - I once emptied a big hotel late one night when I used a smoke machine :)

I will start searching for the best prices.

Many thanks

womble
15-04-2009, 07:50 AM
:offtopic: ??

Excalibur
15-04-2009, 08:36 AM
:offtopic: ??

A thousand pardons, effendi! :o :o :o

If I could give a different answer in your budget, I would. Four Dynamos and an impossibled seems to be the stock answer.

The nearest I can do is say Acme 10w Invincibled, and two Acme Tangos. There's a DMX version of the Tango, but I think it's made by American DJ.

womble
15-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Pardoned :D

The impossibled was the first light that caught my eye, then I was quite taken with the miracled. I've just noticed that acme have a incredibled too, I'll have to have a butchers at that.

I've also seen an ADJ Tri-Phase on youtube, they look good as well.

I need to make a decision, and a purchase, before my first gigs come around in May...

Excalibur
15-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Pardoned :D

The impossibled was the first light that caught my eye, then I was quite taken with the miracled. I've just noticed that acme have a incredibled too, I'll have to have a butchers at that.

I've also seen an ADJ Tri-Phase on youtube, they look good as well.

I need to make a decision, and a purchase, before my first gigs come around in May...

Time may be a factor, but don't rush it. See if you can observe your intended lights in action at a gig. Somebody on here close to you might fancy a cheap roadie, and a chance to show off their toys.

Justin lent me his lights, and I decided after using them that they weren't for me. I appear to be in a minority by disliking the Impossibled and Parcans, but that's life.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Just to stick my 2 pence in. Go for a ultimax stand and led starcloth as it looks classier than the usual table and light screens (IMO), if you have the spare cash then look at the starcloth booth.

I would agree with others that the ImpossibLED and 4 Dymanos are a good start, or for more variation, look at 2 Dynamos, 2 Pumas, and MiracLEd (similar to the ImpossibLED, only a linear pattern, and not as bulky).

Starlight
15-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi Jason.

I personally recommend the Acme Dynamo scanners, they are great.

Best wishes,

Neil.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-04-2009, 06:17 PM
The only probem Neil, is that lasers need smoke/haze to look their best, and alot of venues dont allow said machines :)

Starlight
15-04-2009, 06:35 PM
The only probem Neil, is that lasers need smoke/haze to look their best, and alot of venues dont allow said machines :)

They do look their best with smoke yes, but they do look excellent projected onto walls as their patterns are very good. They would also look good on either one of those licra backgrounds or better still one of those fine material backdrops that Laser World sell.

Best wishes,

Neil.

FerndownJason
15-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Which is better Acme Impossibled LED Moonflower or American DJ Revo 3 LED Moonflower Effect?

They are sold as similar, the Acme were recommended here, but on the video the Revo 3 has a better pattern from one fitting?

I will be going for a goalpost stand with starcloth, as easier to transport.

I believe I am right in saying that the Acme Dynamo's are not LCD - can you recommend an LCD alternative, as I think it best to keep away from bulbs.

Finally controllers...... I know nothing.... a point in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Cheers!!!

Me again :o)

I will be doing a couple of outdoor gigs (if dry) in the summer, the location is under a load of trees, I am thinking a VERY cheap laser would add interest in the trees and be strong enough to give long projection.

Or, would it just give a moving dot in the trees?

Sorry to ask so much, but much to think about :o)

Excalibur
16-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Jason, it's LED. Sorry to be picky, but they are very different. ;) :D
Dynamos are available in either format, but the ones referred to previously will have been filament.
LED Dynamo
http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27773

LED Dynarock
http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27774

I use ADJ Revo rolls (Dynarock equivalent roughly) but the light output is not huge. I suspect the same may be true of the Dynamos.Added to which, it's dots rather than gobos, which is one reason people have suggested filament Dynamos.
LED scanners without dots cost more. :(

http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/lighting-effects-non-motorised/142730-american-dj-x-scan-led-%C2%A3193.00

Dance FX
16-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I believe I am right in saying that the Acme Dynamo's are not LCD - can you recommend an LCD alternative, as I think it best to keep away from bulbs.

We were using the impossibled, tango led and led splashes but they were all the same! just dots on the floor. We have now converted completely back to lamps.

If you have a DJ supplies shop near you go and see a demo of the lights you are interested in.

Sarah

OllieJames
16-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Which is better Acme Impossibled LED Moonflower or American DJ Revo 3 LED Moonflower Effect?

They are sold as similar, the Acme were recommended here, but on the video the Revo 3 has a better pattern from one fitting?

I will be going for a goalpost stand with starcloth, as easier to transport.

Finally controllers...... I know nothing.... a point in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Cheers!!!

Me again :o)

I will be doing a couple of outdoor gigs (if dry) in the summer, the location is under a load of trees, I am thinking a VERY cheap laser would add interest in the trees and be strong enough to give long projection.

Or, would it just give a moving dot in the trees?

Sorry to ask so much, but much to think about :o)

Hi There :)

There is no difference between the Revo 3 and the Acme Impossibled, apart from the name tag and the Revo 3 has a bit more 'decor' on the case. (If you can call it decor).

Do you mean a 3m goalpost & starcloth or an Ultimax style stand with an over head bar & a starcloth?

The only issue with LED in my opinion is the lack of gobos unless you pay a fair sum of money for LED gobo lights such as the ADJ X-Move LED/X-Scan LED. There is however an LED version of the Dynamo, but without gobos.

Regarding the trees, i'd be inclined to just use some colour wash on them rather than use a laser.

Hope this is of some help!

Excalibur
16-04-2009, 09:12 AM
We were using the impossibled, tango led and led splashes but they were all the same! just dots on the floor. We have now converted completely back to lamps.

If you have a DJ supplies shop near you go and see a demo of the lights you are interested in.

Sarah

The big stumbling block. My basic suggestion to anyone would be:
1)LED colour washes( par cans/panels whatever)
2)One type only LED effect (Impossibled style)
3) Filament effects (Dynamos or similar)

This gives the best of both worlds, LED reliability, and filament variation. When more. bigger, and cheaper LED gobo effects hit the market (x-scan, x-move style ) it could be the end for filament lighting.

abracadabradisco
16-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone, I have just joined and this is the first thread I have read. I am one of the old boys in Norfolk (started 1968) and use light screens and starcloth. Sometimes used together but I always give the client the option. The only LED lights I have are MAD panels 1m high and Soundlab LED boxes which I use for childrens entertainment.

FerndownJason
16-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I think I now understand a little more about the lights - I will stop getting carried away by the prety youtube films, most of which are in total darkness and probably give a false sense of light output.

As for stands, I was thinking of this?
http://www.ebdj.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?product_id=11150

Penfold42
16-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone, I have just joined and this is the first thread I have read. I am one of the old boys in Norfolk (started 1968) and use light screens and starcloth. Sometimes used together but I always give the client the option. The only LED lights I have are MAD panels 1m high and Soundlab LED boxes which I use for childrens entertainment.

Hello...please read this -

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

Thank you. :)

Excalibur
16-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I think I now understand a little more about the lights - I will stop getting carried away by the prety youtube films, most of which are in total darkness and probably give a false sense of light output.

As for stands, I was thinking of this?
http://www.ebdj.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?product_id=11150

The Giraffe is fine, unless you see one of these.
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR223984
The advantage of Ultimax is that you can adapt it to almost any configuration you wish, and spares are a doddle. It's also built like a battleship.
http://www.ultimax1.com/

JAMdisco
16-04-2009, 05:01 PM
If you were a bit closer I could have sold you my prolight stand for about £30. Not the best of stands but it still holds up and has served me well over the last 2 years or so. It's in pretty good condition too. :D

I just thought it would be good for someone on a tight budget as a first stand.