PDA

View Full Version : tis christmas everyday

FerndownJason
18-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Today I took delivery of a 4ft stand with goal post, star cloth, 4x Dynamo's, an Impossibled, Smoke Machine and a Equinox Nebula laser (sorry could not resist).

All I can say is, WOW, how things have moved on since I last did discos!

The Dynamos came with the basic controller, but my reason for writing is, can anybody recommend a controller that (on a budget) will give me control over the speed and look of all these lights? or are they not compatible to be on the same circuit?

Many thanks in advance... :beer1:

Candybeatdiscos
18-04-2009, 10:48 PM
The Dynamos are DMX compatible as is the Impossibled, i would suggest getting your hands on the MyDMX USB controller (From American DJ) which is priced about #109, it will allow you to create your own shows and have full controll over your lights from the comfort of your laptop.

Do a google search I think HTFR has them.

FerndownJason
19-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks for your reply.
Ideally I am looking for hardware, because -
1 I use a mac (I know there is a little software available for the mac - but not huge choice) -
2 I will be playing music through computer and do not want to risk running two important programs at the sae time (and I probably could not cope with running two programs)
Any other thoughts?

OllieJames
19-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Ideally I am looking for hardware, because -
1 I use a mac (I know there is a little software available for the mac - but not huge choice) -
2 I will be playing music through computer and do not want to risk running two important programs at the sae time (and I probably could not cope with running two programs)
Any other thoughts?

There's quite a few DJs with these:

Stairville DMX Master 1 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm)

You will be able to run all the units off the controller, personally i prefer to use mini controllers like the CA-8. If i was to run fully DMX, i'd invest in myDMX. There's a thread somewhere about DMX programs and which ones don't run on MACs, i'm sure.

Hope this helps :)

FerndownJason
19-04-2009, 08:05 PM
To me the Prolight DMX Master Controller looks the same as your stairville.
Would this control all of my lights?

All I want is the ability to manually set them onto a slow pattern if the event calls for it. Plus the ability to set the laser off on a pre-set pattern.

DeckstarDeluxe
19-04-2009, 08:39 PM
whats the budget jason? Are you planning to expand your lighting show. What sort of events do you aim to be doing?

FerndownJason
20-04-2009, 06:11 AM
I want to spend up to / around £100.

Only looking to do standard discos, nowt too O.T.T., perhaps adding a few new lights later on.

I do not really want to have to program full light runs/patterns, just have the ability to set the speed, and ultimately set the colour/actions of the program (although I suspect this is not possible without doing the full program/sequence)?