PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Internet

yourdj
21-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Looking at getting mobile internet for gigs.

- firstly most my events now are in the middle of knowhere in a national park. generally though my mobile signal is OK (O2).

I have been told about these dongle things you can subscribe to. but have also been told the bandwidth can be bad which does not help when downloading tracks.

Would an i phone with a decent internet package be the best option. i can then blue tooth the tracks to my mac? ideally i would rather download them stright onto my mac and not pay for a produb next year :D

My area is mainly the newforest and around southampton to sussex.

Any suggestion very much appreciated :)

ppentertainments
21-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I have had mobile internet for the past year and will not be subscribing again. Even in strong signal areas it is very temperamental.

I have used it to download requests I do not have at gigs before but tbh I think it is a waste if time.

Luckily a lot of venues now have free wireless broadband which is normally faster and more reliable.

Jiggles
21-04-2009, 09:06 PM
For one you cannot tether the iPhone so thats out of it. :( Also you need a 3G signal yo use the dongles.

Excalibur
21-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I have had mobile internet for the past year and will not be subscribing again. Even in strong signal areas it is very temperamental.
My whole area is apparently a good signal area for the priovider I use, but simply going five miles down the road loses my service. :bang:

I have used it to download requests I do not have at gigs before but tbh I think it is a waste if time.

Luckily a lot of venues now have free wireless broadband which is normally faster and more reliable.

Undoubtedly true, but:
I did a gig in a private house, with the best reception I've had, and it was fast. :confused:

Guess the best way is to ask folk in your area about best provider/dead spots. Reminds me of the old days with mobile phones. ;) :D :D :D :D

Digitalsounds
21-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I have the V media version of this device to be honest it aint the fastest thing in the world but it does work and as for track downloading i found works best with Am******n.

But it can be trempramental with speeds and i have seen other versions on other networks that drop connections or have a known compatibility with vista which causes it to drop connection or hang during use.

DiscoPromotions
22-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Just to clear up a few things on broadband dongles

These are only as good if you got the following:

1. HSDPA is faster than 3G, 2G is same as 56k modem
2. Strong 3G/HSDPA coverage is required to get any decent speed
3. Slow speeds can be caused by
a. To many user making voice calls or using mobile broadband dongle (or both)
b. if you windows is updating your PC whist you are connected
c. antivirus/firewalls incorrectly configured

DeckstarDeluxe
21-05-2009, 07:20 PM
so nobody here has any reliable sources for mobile broadband? As stated before I would love it just in case someone requests a track I dont have

Vectis
21-05-2009, 07:32 PM
so nobody here has any reliable sources for mobile broadband? As stated before I would love it just in case someone requests a track I dont have

I have a '3' dongle (£10/month for 1GB) and an iPhone 3G (unlimited data included in the tariff). The iPhone lets me pull down directly from iTunes whenever there's a WiFi or 3G signal. The '3' dongle lets me pull down over 3G, 2.5G (EDGE) or 2G (GSM) albeit very slowly. Either way a typical song only takes a few minutes to sort out.

Neither are any use in Ventnor as they roam to a French operator :bang: but virtually everywhere else I can usually get good 3G coverage.

James
22-05-2009, 08:41 AM
i took out a contract one with 3g about a year ago, took it home and was getting super fast speeds of......47kbs....less than a 56k modem, this was after the salesman telling me i'd have up to 3mbs and the area i lived in was a hotsopt.

needless to say i took it straight back the next day

I'd still like to use it but i won't be buying it until the technology improves

Shakermaker Promotions
22-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I've just got a new phone (Nokia E63) and with my package I have unlimited internet access. I haven't used it as yet but I am told that I can plug the phone into the laptop and use it as a dongle too. I don't generally use the laptop at events unless it's for projection or karaoke but I suppose it's there if I need it.

yourdj
14-06-2009, 05:14 PM
The iPhone lets me pull down directly from iTunes whenever there's a WiFi or 3G signal.

What do you do then as i have heard that you cant send to any other device which makes sense as apple are protecting themselves.

Is there a way to download directly to mac and not have to buy a produb?

I understand blackberry or Nokia are the two main contenders.

- also - i need to sync with entourages (mac outlook) calender/emails for gig bookings and this is a must. also internet browsing.

Could not give a toss about anything else, just want to make calls and organize business.

ANY IDEAS :) ?

Thanks for the input so far.

Jiggles
14-06-2009, 05:24 PM
The the iPhone 3GS supports tethering. IE you can download tack to Mac or PC via the phone!

Marc J
14-06-2009, 06:29 PM
The the iPhone 3GS supports tethering. IE you can download tack to Mac or PC via the phone!

BUT the data used via that is NOT included in any unlimited browsing package used on the phone....you need "bolt-ons" (surprise, surprise) :(

Vectis
14-06-2009, 06:31 PM
What do you do then as i have heard that you cant send to any other device which makes sense as apple are protecting themselves.

The purchased track is synced back to the computer when next hooked up and from then on it's treated the same as any other iTunes purchase.

Simples :)

yourdj
18-06-2009, 09:04 AM
The purchased track is synced back to the computer when next hooked up and from then on it's treated the same as any other iTunes purchase.

Simples :)

I run serato. Can i blue tooth it to the laptop and then drop it into serato? just asking as you have to restart it to read new itunes changes. It sounds a bit complicated to me.

I want to basically do what i do when Im sitting at home and download from other sources other that itunes as well. :) there must be a way and i would imagine using the mobile as a modem would be the best with a good internet package for the phone.